xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

Advice Needed On A Brand New Violin Its my first ever...

I got a violin yesterday as an advanced birthday gift from my dad... I'm psyched, but I'm completely clueless about violin care and other stuff. I recently placed the bridge, but beyond that, I have no idea what to do. I'm planning on having it tuned when I start my lessons. I'm wondering about how I should store it because I'm wary of mites/etc. and such. (I found two small ones when I came back home. I enjoyed squishing them to death, by the way...) I want to hear from your own personal experiences or at least some tips when handling it, etc. :)Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Here are some links that should be able to help you take care of your violin, and enjoy it for years until you make your millions off violin music and by a better one :)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.westcountryviolins.com/web_pages/violin.htm

Google Words
+Violin +maintenance

I did look for stuff on the web before anything else. I want to hear from someone's personal experience here on Trap... I guess I'm interested to see if anyone else here plays it. :)

As I am not a violinist myself, I don't really know much on this issue. All I can say do you have a case to put it in? And if I did have a violin, I would put it in a case at the top of a wardrobe or something like that. Place it well out of the way.

I've had cellos for about 10 years now, granted theyre not the same size as violins, but theyre similar!here is some stuff that should help you:when you store the bow - store it untightened so all the hairs aren't stretched tight.keep it in a case, you'd probably find that keeping the bow in the case too is a good idea.The case should keep out mites dust etc.every once in a while wipe the dust / rosin (stuff that goes on the bow) off with a duster to keep it niceAND FINALLY, AN IMPORTANT THING:If you will be storing it / living in a fairly hot, dry area or even if its mildly warm is an extremely good idea to by a DEHUMIDIFIER for the violin (you can get them in almost any string music shop.Basically this is a little spongy thing in some rubbery casing that you soak in water and it gradually releases water mositure over time so the violin / cello does not dry up and crack!!! just sit this in your case along with the violin and bow!And don't worry too much about it, most have survived over 100 years unless new ofc, so theyll just keep on going!hoped this helped :P

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)