xisto Community
solankyno1

Google Desktop Search A Possible Spyware? Spyware????????????

My local newspaper was saying that Google's Desktop Search is good only if you are using it on your own computer. If you are using it on a public computer then trouble starts brewing. People can search through private files, etc. without your permission. So this is just a heads up for people that are interested in using this or have already started using it.

Yes, I started using Google Desktop sometime back, but after I read things like this elsewhere, I uninstalled it.

Who wants to take risks? But we are taking that with GMAil :( Similar things are told about GMail too...

One good alternative is Copernic Desktop Search. You can disable it from connecting to the internet by using a simple firewall program like ZoneAlarm Free.

That is what I am doing now. And I am happy with it. I can even say that it is better than Google Desktop as you can even se previews of the pages without actually opening them. That's a great feature of Copernic. And it is free too.

Edited by googlue (see edit history)

Gmail is Creepy!

This article pretty much says it all.

Problem 1: Gmail is nearly immortal

Problem 2: Google's policies do not apply [to not Gmail users]

Problem 3: A massive potential for abuse

Problem 4: Inappropriate ad matching

Yowsa! Read the article for more information. You know you wanna..... :D

Google Desktop has spyware in some install packages. I have had spyware on one computer when I installed Google Desktop, however after using Webroot Spy Sweeper, I got rid of all spyware. Webroot Spy Sweeper is, if not, the best spyware deletion and scanning program on the market to date. The new version 4.5 allows users to be updated for new programs and security threats 24/7/365, and all for a low price of $20.00 to $30.00 at Target and other retailers across the United States of America, or at Staples Business Depot or Wal-Mart or Zellers in Canada.If you have a computer with no spyware protection, get Webroot Spy Sweeper...Stop spyware from watching your online activities and crippling your PC performance. Here's how Webroot Spy Sweeper protects you from spyware: Powerful Spyware Dection that scans your computer and updates the program from the spyware database. Proactive Protection with Active Shields, browsing/operating system shields protect your PC from hijackers, unauthorized Favorites folder additions, and redirected web searches, and the program prohibits spies from running in memory, or running unauthorized programs, or adding files to the startup folder. Frequent definitions updates, safe quarantine and removal of spyware, anti-virus compatibility, and a simple, easy-to-use user interface (UI) that removes all that spyware that causes your computer to have pervasive pop-up ads, reduced PC performance, a reset homepage, a sluggish internet connection, and redirected web search results. Spyware invades your PC when you download programs without understanding the End User License Agreement, open an email or attachment from an unknown sender, share music, video or pictures with other users, or visit unsafe web sites.Webroot Spy Sweeper...rated 5 Cows by Tucows!, the PC Magazine Editor's Choice, WUGNET (Windows Users Group Network), the "Top 10 Reviews" GOLD Award, and cNet's Download.com Top Rated 5!Webroot Spy Sweeper...$20 can save your computer for a whole year!Stephen

Why would google put spyware on any of their products? Google is used by tons of people out there. I use both desktop AND gmail and I don't think that they would put spyware on the programs. Maybe its the 3rd party programs that are used IN desktop....