xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hts

Cannot Connect With Smartftp

Can someone please help me?:)It just doesn't connect to the ftp server using SmartFTP (it works with cuteftp) ..Has anyone else encountered this problem ? :|... Please help...

My FTP connects fine using SmartFTP. Check that the addresses match up when you put it in or it won't connect. ftp.yourdomain.com Maybe you typed the wrong password into SmartFTP but the correct one into CuteFTP. If you have checked that well then I don't know what the problem could be but double and even triple check that everything is typed in correctly.

SmartFTP works with me.You might not have to type the ftp part of the URL. What does the error message say? Cannot connect, or wrong password?

Please specify your problem, there is no way we can assist you if you are so vague in explaining your problems. But from the looks of things, there is no way 1 ftp can connect to the server, and the other can't. You must have typed the password wrongly or url wrongly. Did you?- Enable your firewall to let your FTP program process? - Type the password and username login correctly?- Specify the right server url? Sometimes it is not for e.g. Xisto.com, it might be test.trap17.com, small things like that

I don't have firewall, I`ve checked the login details 2 times and they are fine :)...I don`t get any error, no "wrong password" or something like this,...it`s just blank :)
look:
click

Anyway, I now use the FireFtp extension for Firefox which works fine :rolleyes:..might give up SmartFtp for this one :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help

Edited by hts (see edit history)

if you would have read my last post (the one above yours), you would have noticed that I get no error, it`s just blank...nevertheless, the problem is somehow solved (I use Fireftp now, which works just fine) :)..thanks again for all who offered to help me...

Your problem is very peculiar, I don't think this problem can be attributed to what you are doing since you can connect using other FTP programs but rather to SmartFTP, you could still contact SmartFTP and tell them about this error you are receiving.

Is SmartFTP a particular software you prefer to use? Any function that you would get compare to other programs?Well, I wrote a tutorial about using FileZilla with Xisto hosting account. The link can be found in Xisto Readme.I guess what I'm suggesting is FileZilla instead of SmartFTP. They both work similar to Windows Explorer style--click, drag and drop. CuteFTP was the choice before but I don't know I just got frustrated with CuteFTP when it went from free to purchase.

Of course I can "give up" Smarftp, there`s nothing that can`t be changed :rolleyes:)Thanks for the FileZilla suggestion, but as I have already written in my posts above, I now use FireFTP extension for Firefox, which seems to fulfill all my needs :)

Just a word of caution...Depending on a browser extension is risky these days with all those spyware going around. Make sure you are protected at all times. Check your firewall settings and status to see any unknown connection while the computer is unattended.Firefox has been known to be hijacked due to insecure coding with browser extensions. :)