xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

What Is Wibree

Wibree is a new communication technology developed by Nokia. It works on 2.4ghz radio frequency and is slated for implementation in localised communications. I will support a data transfer rate of 1 MBps and it has a range of 5 to 10 meters.

Wibree is an open industry initiative, so there is no nned for us to get license to use this technology and we can fine tune as per our needs.

The best part is it consumes less power than Bluetooth and can also make the existing Blutooth circuits to handle this thus reducing cost.

Learn more here

Wibree, sounds great .. At the moment, bluetooth seems to take over Infra red., and now it seems,bluetooth would have better technologies to compete with .. It is always fascinating to hear development in wireless technology . It makes life better .. No more messy wires everywhere.. But i also guess there has to be limitations with the frequencies of the waves used,. Though, at the moment, bluetooth and Infra Red use very low frequency waves, to damage human tissue.. , i guess with advancement in technologies, there might be a time when the frequencies go on the higher side.. High enough to affect tissues... I am indeed waiting for the moment when my school's lan is established using a wireless technology . Let us see what wibree has to offer .. I am sure,once Nokia is confident with the technology , they will stop their bluetooth phones and replace them with wibree.. might be a make or break move with Nokia !!! They could invent something which might change the trend in wireless transfer ., or make way for their own downfall, by trying to replace bluetooth technology, with something better ..

I had never heard of Wilbree before viewing this topic.Wilbree sounds like a fantastic new method of communication, going by what was said in the first post of this topic, by delivi.If it consumes less power than the current bluetooth communication does, then it's got to be a lot better, especially for those who like to save energy and those who do everything they can to keep the price as low as they can.Also, If this new method of communication can be fine tuned so that current bluetooth signals can be used, there won't be a compatibility problem and as said above, the cost will be a lot lower.I agree with the above post, wilbree will definitely become popular in items ranging from mobile phones to personal computers/laptops. I don't know how long it will take before it's switched over to use this method but I'm not impatient waiting for it to be released on every day items (such as mobile phones), as I don't really use bluetooth or infra-red so this doesn't really affect me, however, no doubt for people who use methods of communication like these, they will like the new wilbree.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

I've never heard of Wibree, but I don't doubt it's quality. However, I think that it won't be better than bluetooth at the moment. Give it some time and it will grow :lol: