xisto Community
gameratheart

Can Anyone Suggest A Good Firewall? Need a firewall for my old PC.

Im not too smart when it comes to firewalls and all of that but I downloaded Zone Alarm and it seems to work pretty good. Even when im on Xbox Live and I try to join someones game it blocks the connection so I have to disable to firewall to even play online. I figure all firewalls would do that but I tried clicking Game Mode under the options to where it wont block those connections & it still does it anyway...

I am using WRQ AtGuard firewall (it's quite old actually, made in '99 I think)... It's soo good, that Symantec bought it, and renamed it into Norton Friewall, without even changing file names!It's not fancy looking ot anything, but it has one thing I need - functionality... It doesn't try to guess whether I want to allow certain communications to occur, or to block them, but instead, relies on it's rule list, wehre you specify in detail, what application can access the internet, what can access your computer from the internet, and ofcourse, add a rule to block everything else, that doesn't macth the rules...Also, it has pretty good ad-blocker, and you can add new addresses from which to block images, and it will block them... There is a cookie assistant too, and that's about it... It's around 1.5M in size, and I do believe that version 3.2 is now available free of charge, but I'm not sure...But it is definitely THE best firewall option I can suggest (I tried many, and they all suck big time)... Software firewall that is, aside from using a Linux machine as a router :P

dear gameratheart use zonealarm firewall with one antivirus system like nod32 or kasperskyif you want secure your own pc you can install windows xp + Windows service pack (security update) + zonalarm + Antivirus + windows security center ,windows 98 has 9x kernel , and its not secure , because we can find many bugs on win 98thanks

I sugest ( if you find old version 5.5 ) Sygate How to:When install sygate open Main wind. and block all programs (sys items too) and allow only browser ,antivirus and chat for using netBlock Windows ExplorerWith Nod32 of coursePS: Windows Firewall disable

Edited by nocom (see edit history)