xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darran

External Storage Suggestions please

I am looking to buy an external storage for my personal use. Backing up data is very troublesome using FTP to transfer between 2 devices. I am looking to purchase an external storage device but I need suggestions. I have heard of a flash disk, but also a hard disk appeals to me. Which of it is better? And can anyone suggest to me other storage devices which I do not know of besides a thumb drive? I need to store at least 100 gb of data, since I am backing up all my files from a computer. Thanks in advance

I'd suggest just buying a USB or firewire external HD. That's the best route to go when you have that much data to store. I can't give you any specific ones to buy, but I'd say anything by Maxtor, Hitachi, or western digital should be safer, since they are the leading HD manufactures.

yeah, as shunkan said, i would suggest an external hard drive for you, because the highest i have ever seen a flash drive go is 32 GB, and that is about $200.

But if you get an external hard drive, you can spend half the price, and get twice the space.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se8&CatId=136

see, $99.99 for 250GB, compared to $200 for a 32 GB Flash Drive.

You would just have to make sure that your computer has the USB 2.0 compatibility, otherwise it will not work. I would not suggest using Firewire because most computers do not have a port for that allready put in and it's somthing you will need to put in yourself. And with the one listed above, you can back-up your computer as well as store other things on! taking a load off of you internal hard drive and putting it on your external hard drive essentally making your computer go faster....

GOod luck!

Looks like hard disk is the way to go then.

I have browsed on my local retailer and I am a bit confused on certain terms and I hope you guys can enlighten me.

Take a look at this page

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I do not know what type of hard disks I should be looking at. Can you guys suggest an ideal one which is portable, but is able to store at least 100 gb of data? I am really an idiot when it comes to hardware, I stink badly at getting the best one, so I would have to depend on the gurus for my selection.

Is there something in the range of less than SGD 150? I don't really need 100 gb anymore, I just calculated my disk space the files took up, and 80 gb would be more than sufficient. SGD 229, is far too expensive for me.

Hmm... I'm not really sure about how currency is converted from American dollars around there, but if you'd let me, I could give you some results from an American based site. They ship globally, so it should be a problem.

I went onto yahoo! finance and did a calculation for the convertion of the currencies and this is what I came up with:USD 1 = SGD 1.5612So from here, you can roughly gauge it, not more than SGD 150 please :blink: Thanks in advance

I have decided I will be most probably going for a 80 GB 3.5 Portable Hard Disk, it should cost me in total SGD 130 plus the casing. I will of course wait for the Christmas season to see if there would be any offers :blink:

Another option for an external storage is using a NAS (Network attached Storage).Then all your computers in your network can use the storage.The only disadvantage is that it's hard to use on different sites.It works fine in your home LAN.You can also make a NAS with an old computer , 2 or 3 hard drives and the pakket freeNAS.With that pakket you can even make a software RAID between the hard drives.The cheapest and the simplest will be an external USB (or Firewire) drive.If your computer has a Firewire connection, an external drive that supports both USB and firewire will be usefull. Firewire is still a lot faster then USB2, and most of the times all the USB are used.

I will buy an external storage for my notebook,My money is limited but I want a good storage,he....he.... :) What must I do before buy it????Can You give me suggestion,Please.......................!!!!!!!!!

I think it is very important to know the usage of your external storage, what is it going to be primarily used for? Backing up, transferring between laptops, it all depends on you. You need to know the size of hard disk and the RPM, of course the higher the better. I would recommend you to go around your hardware retailers and compare prices :)

Where I can get the information about best external storage for my notebook????I need this information but my drive space was limited.Please help me........... :)

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit to remove excess smilies