xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
the_aggie10

Just Purchasing A Domain Name

ok i am interested in purchasing a domain name (.com) but how would i go about doing this and what would be the cost? or can i even just get a domain name and not a package? and if the server on Xisto - Web Hosting went down would my site go down with it? thanks.

how would i go about doing this

Top right of every Forum page is a 'Xisto Network' link. Click there and select 'Computinhost Domains'

and what would be the cost?

under $10.00 US Dollars per year. Dot info is cheaper still.

or can i even just get a domain name and not a package?

Yes you can purchase the Domain Name only and use it for your Xisto Hosting accountOr move it around to where you are Hosted at.

if the server on Xisto - Web Hosting went down would my site go down with it? thanks.

Only if that is where your Domain is Hosted.
The Registration information for the Domain, and its Hosted location, gets dispersed across the web through a 'propagation' process which will take a day or two. Then the information is not tied to any specific server.
If your Hosting service goes down, then the site is inaccessible, but that is not typical of most services.
Generally, Hosting services maintain a pretty good up-time.

As jlhaslip said, but you don't have to buy through Xisto - Web Hosting (a good choice however) (just didn't want you to think that other domains are incompatible or something).If the server goes down, if someone puts in your domain, it will still go to your **Down** site. The options for a domain (with most registers) is that they have a control panel where you can set redirects, email addresses etc... OR**Recommended**You can reset the "Name servers" to NS1.Trap17.com and NS2.Trap17.com , and then manage your domain from your site hosting panel. This is better because you are not using a redirect, you can set unlimited email addresses .......Hope this helps somewhat, and jlhaslip has vey good answers:P

Notice from jlhaslip:
<< removed sig-off name >>Please use the sig block in your Profile. Thanks.

I use the same domain system as Xisto - Web Hosting. It doesnt really matter where you get it from really. Doesnt have to be from Xisto - Web Hosting. DOmains a\re usually under $8 for .com .net and .org. I can register them for $5 but i use my own system. Yes if your domain is pointed to a server and the server goes down your site will go down as well untill the server comes back up. usually webhosts have backup servers that they also tell you to point to as a 3rd nameserver so if you site goes down on the main server it will still run off the backup server.