xisto Community
Brian Gillingham

What's The Mission In Iraq?

basically, i always felt that when bush took office in 2001 or 2000 i think, he expected an easy term as president in a perfect nation at the time. but when 911 hit he was not prepared for a war and such an angry nation, so he declared war upon afghanistan and vowed to take down bin laden, which is the logical thing to do. but i beleive he decided to go to iraq and liberate it to make it seem like he was doing something about terrorism by liberating a country and executing a leader that posed no threat to us at the moment. they had no nukes. so he should have left. but he decided to declare war upon iraq, which is a horrible move to make. so instead of devoting the entire mass of the american armed forces to find bin laden in his cave, he decided to continue the fight in iraq.and B.T.W the war in iraq is not 100 percent bush's fault. congress aproved his proclomation to go to war against iraq. so it is 30% bushes fault for making the proclomation in the first place and 70% congresses fault for aproving it. so even though i am not a bush supporter i do not think its right to put all the blame on him alone. blame congress too. and those damn floridians for reelecting him

Edited by kingofsnakes (see edit history)

Well it's stupid just like vietnam - I hate it when people from america say something along the lines of "I got this scar fighting for your rights in nam" - NAM wtf is NAM and fighting for your rights trust me communism is not going to suddenly take over america and also fighting in a war where you go in, you lose and screw up the country even more is not something to be proud of!

basically, i always felt that when bush took office in 2001 or 2000 i think, he expected an easy term as president in a perfect nation at the time. but when 911 hit he was not prepared for a war and such an angry nation, so he declared war upon afghanistan and vowed to take down bin laden, which is the logical thing to do. but i beleive he decided to go to iraq and liberate it to make it seem like he was doing something about terrorism by liberating a country and executing a leader that posed no threat to us at the moment. they had no nukes. so he should have left. but he decided to declare war upon iraq, which is a horrible move to make. so instead of devoting the entire mass of the american armed forces to find bin laden in his cave, he decided to continue the fight in iraq.
and B.T.W the war in iraq is not 100 percent bush's fault. congress aproved his proclomation to go to war against iraq. so it is 30% bushes fault for making the proclomation in the first place and 70% congresses fault for aproving it.

so even though i am not a bush supporter i do not think its right to put all the blame on him alone. blame congress too. and those damn floridians for reelecting him

Sorry, Congress did not approve the Iraq war. The war is completely unconstitutional. Bush is on a runaway power trip that needs to be ended. Take a look at some of the Executive Orders he has put in to effect.

It's completely sickening that Americans are letting this happen to them under their nose. Start electing officials that will actually represent you!

If you woke up and tried to go to starbucks and there was a man with a gun telling you that you couldn't wouldn't you be pissed off? This is unfortunately the situation we've put these people in; They have no other choice than to revolt if they wish to keep their way of life. I watched "Bush's War" on Frontline the other day. Truly amazing program, easily the best Frontline special I've ever seen. It showed how we went from fighting terrorists in Afghanistan to invading Iraq based on lies and irrational evidence. The most surprising thing is how aware these people were of the fabrications. How could we not have learned anything from the Vietnam War? Occupying a foreign country and impressing your own values and culture on people that you have no understanding of is a bad idea. Our mission was to take Saddam out of power and remove all WMDs. The reason we wanted Saddam out of power was because of the fact that many believed he had a hand in Al-Queda/9-11 as well as the fact that he was thought to be in possession of WMDs. A link was never found that connected him to 9-11 and it was very obvious after the invasion that the evidence of WMDs was skewed and fabricated. This truly was Bush's war, he had probably considered going to war with Iraq ever since his election. The thing that truly pisses me off though is fact that the 9-11 link was attempted because it could use the War on Terror propaganda generated by the attacks to its advantage. If you made it a case of patriotism you had virtually unlimited support. Exploiting people in favor of imperialism and false philosophy sounds like a dictatorship, doesn't it? I mean aren't we trying to give the Iraqis a form of government that allows them to decide? Allow them to have a say in the decisions made by their government? This mess of a government has already become so corrupt it can't even stand on its own two feet. I don't know a solution, but while 18 year olds with no other options are being sent to die, we don't have time to think of one. It's time to fold, cut our losses, and pull out.

Edited by Revan (see edit history)

Sorry, Congress did not approve the Iraq war. The war is completely unconstitutional. Bush is on a runaway power trip that needs to be ended. Take a look at some of the Executive Orders he has put in to effect.

He gave himself power to declare martial law after the next disaster happens in the US (such as a terror attack, hint hint, Alex Jones). Did he ask anyone if they agreed with him? Like he cares.

It's completely sickening that Americans are letting this happen to them under their nose. Start electing officials that will actually represent you!

Officials are just puppets for people such as those who attend the Bilderberg meetings (about 120 of the richest and most politically influential people on Earth). If I really wanted to choose someone honest, I would choose Ron Paul in a whim, but I can't vote anyway. Edited by dre (see edit history)

I'm sick of people saying there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. You don't know that. You haven't inspected the ENTIRE country.There's 169,234 square miles of desert in Iraq. The Army has dug up thousands of conventional bombs and artillery shells in the desert, don't you think that someone, somewhere would have been able to bury some kind of weapon in the desert and have it NOT be found for years?The United States never even searched for these "WMDs" in the first place. That was the United Nations' job. They searched less than a dozen sites and WARNED THE IRAQIS IN ADVANCE about the searches. There are satellite photos showing some of the sites moving several large covered flat-bed trucks just days before the inspections. Where did these trucks go? They disappeared into the desert and were never seen again.Don't try to play it off like we need out because the troops don't want to be there. THEY VOLUNTEERED! If you sign up to join the military, EXPECT TO BE IN A WAR! that's your job. They chose this, they can't complain, they weren't drafted. Besides, most soldiers aren't pissed they're there or anything, the news just finds the one or two guys in the unit that misses his family enough to hate being there and will say so on the news.On another note, can someone please prove to me that this war is about oil? I just can't see this. If it was about oil, why aren't Americans running the oil fields instead of the Iraqis that are now?

One thing's for certain about this "war": it's still going on.

Don't believe ANYTHING that anyone says about the "war" in Iraq. Notice that no one said anything about Afghanistan? Everyone (and I mean everyone official) that has something to say about the war is simply saying stuff to feed us "information" about what's going on down there, what our long-term goals are going to be, etc. It's POLITICS, and you are being informed or talked to about this issue by people that are politicians OR people that work for these politicians OR people that have a hand in the pot of a politician.

Stop jumping to conclusions with Michael Moore and the Loose Change guy and whatever else is out there as far as conspiracy theory. We're so wrapped up on being spoonfed information that we don't even think for ourselves anymore. Now what the heck is up with that? Most people that I've talked to about reasons behind the war mention all the crap I've heard before: Bush's vendetta, oil, war on terrorism, WMDs, etc. Is that really YOUR opinion, YOUR investigation results, YOUR thoughts on the matter?

Instead of treading behind trying to figure out what the heck happened and why, let's try to put out some change in taking care of our guys and ending the fiasco that is STILL GOING ON AS I TYPE THIS over there. I don't know how, personally, but it definitely isn't going to change with the voting in of a new president. (Everyone knows that we have to actually end what we began... and it will be a while before we are physically and logistically able to make a larger-scale pull out of Iraq.) It's not going to change with conspirators continually feeding alternative theories on what happened in the past. It's what we, as a nation, are willing and able to do NOW. We can analyze the history later during peace time.

Look at it this way: we went in, we're trying to make a difference in a war-torn country (from my perspective, anyway), and we need to eventually shift our focus to bigger and better things. As citizens, we have to do whatever we have to do to make this time bearable for fellow Soldiers of the United States and not just ridicule, point fingers, and sit on our bums, rolling our eyes at the news and not even, for a chance, wondering why we don't even hear much about our guys down in the sandbox on the television anymore. (Notice that? It was a hot topic for the news then... apparently America prioritizes what our celebrities are doing over that, though.) If you want to promote change, do what you have to do to make it happen: write a letter, hold a rally, vote for someone that you KNOW (as far as one can know about a politician) would make a good leader and NOT what they spit out to the public to get voted into office, etc.

Take what you've been fed about this war and throw it out the window. There are no facts to have straight unless you actually look into the matter yourself.

Don't get me started into political parties... I already think that it's dumb that we as a nation are separated into groups according to how we think and now we have to band together to oppose one another? Within our own nation? (See why I hate politics?) It doesn't make any sense! Republicans and Democrats and liberals and independents and blah blah blah... it's all retarded. :lol:

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

I'm sick of people saying there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. You don't know that. You haven't inspected the ENTIRE country.There's 169,234 square miles of desert in Iraq. The Army has dug up thousands of conventional bombs and artillery shells in the desert, don't you think that someone, somewhere would have been able to bury some kind of weapon in the desert and have it NOT be found for years?

The United States never even searched for these "WMDs" in the first place. That was the United Nations' job. They searched less than a dozen sites and WARNED THE IRAQIS IN ADVANCE about the searches. There are satellite photos showing some of the sites moving several large covered flat-bed trucks just days before the inspections. Where did these trucks go? They disappeared into the desert and were never seen again.

Don't try to play it off like we need out because the troops don't want to be there. THEY VOLUNTEERED! If you sign up to join the military, EXPECT TO BE IN A WAR! that's your job. They chose this, they can't complain, they weren't drafted. Besides, most soldiers aren't pissed they're there or anything, the news just finds the one or two guys in the unit that misses his family enough to hate being there and will say so on the news.
On another note, can someone please prove to me that this war is about oil? I just can't see this. If it was about oil, why aren't Americans running the oil fields instead of the Iraqis that are now?

I believe you're missing the entire point of people whining about there never being any WMDs over there. We were explicitly told that the Iraqi regime was a direct threat to US interests because of two reasons. Because Saddam had WMDs and he also had links with Al-Queda.

Lets not nitpick here, last month the Al-Queda theory was proven to be completely false by the Pentagon itself. I don't know about you, but I'm sure we still haven't found any WMDs.

And that's a problem, the entire pretense of this war were those two reasons. One of them is false, and the other the current administration isn't even TRYING to pursue. Does that not bother you at all? Being lied to? Probably not, like is stated above people are sheeple and follow the news almost completely BLINDLY. The fact is, all we're doing over there now is Nation Building at the expense of the American people. Bush ran his campaign on a promise of NO NATION BUILDING. But I digress.

And I dunno about your last quote. Presidential campaign donations prove that a large fraction of the troops over there are disenchanted. Why shouldn't they be? They face the chance that if they become injured they'll have to deal with a LESS than adequate medical attention that the military will provide them.

So, until anything new happens, THERE ARE NO WMDs in Iraq, there never WAS. And don't plan on that changing, they aren't even looking for them, they never planned to. The administration lied to us, and the people took it in the a**, like they always do.

If you feel that Bin Laden is a threat, blame the Republican party for not having caught him already.

I would like to know why we have to blame the Republican Party for not having caught him when your wonderful adulteress President Bill Clinton had a chance to destroy a vehicle he was traveling in, in Afghanistan while he was president. Even worse he had more then one chance to take out Osama Bin Laden. I place allot of blame on President Clinton for not killing Bin Laden and dealing or preventing 9/11. It is not President Bush's fault for taking out Bin Laden, the chance to do that was back during the Clinton Administration. I blame the Democratic Party for not having the balls to take out Bin Laden.