xisto Community
sexymama1723

Is Simply Being Fat A Disablity?

I think obesity is a big problem in America. Obese people think simply because they are fat they suffer from a disability more than a simple eatting disorder. It makes me sick to walk through Walmart and see the elderly being forced to wait in line or walk while the fat ppl. ride in the power scooters because they think they are too good to walk. It also makes me angry when you get a close parking place and they flip you off or throw a hissy fit because they feel it's rude towards them because they have to walk further.Obese ppl. want to say that they can not help that they are fat, Anybody can help being fat if they can take themselves away from the Kitchen table and not eat more than they should.They think that because they are fat everybody should cater to them and I think it's wrong that they just because they suffer from simply over eatting that they are better than the rest of us who at least try to remain active and in fairly good health.Others may say that it's tipical for ppl like me who have a figure to make fun of serverly overwieght ppl. I don't make fun of ppl. because of their weight, I think it's a problem as I said before that it's a result of their own actions and not the fault of the public at large. Getting crippled in a car wreck is very differnt than over eatting. You can't say it's a disablity when too many who have been fat have lost weight. If you don't want to lose weight, you're not going to.It's very striking that we live in a country where half our population is overweight yet half the population of the world starves.

well thats why half the world hates us :)....but i hate how people gorge themselves like that....but fat people are awesome! some cant help it and i completely understand that....but i get where you are coming from also....i think it should only be a disablility if it gets in the way of you walking or driving.

I haven't run into anyone that gets mad over me taking a closer parking space let alone many fat people at all like that. They have legs too and they know it. Sometimes though you can't really judge them because some are obese because of a disease. I have heard about it before on the Discovery Channel or something like that and it causes you to be severely overweight. I agree some take it a bit far. I admire those on the Biggest Loser television show though for hoping to change their lives. Some try it and I'm sure it must be hard. Sometimes they get it from their parents but that isn't really an excuse but they can be taught the wrong habits and it's hard to change.

Being fat isn't just the result of habit. I think that for some it is unfortunate, because their heredity causes them to automatically be overweight, but for some, they choose to be overweight by their laziness and love for extreme amounts of food.I hate lazy people. people who take the elevator to go up 1 or 2 floors instead of taking the stairway.Being fat is not a disability, it is now just becoming acceptable to America, look at what just took place just recently where a school banned the game of tag from being played. I mean this is just a joke. We are limited young kids from being active with technology and stupid rules such as elminating the game of tag. The world and our society is just plain old dumb and thinking too far inside the box. We are tanking our children's health by limitating their options and centering their options around less physically demanding activities, and we will continue to see more and more heavy weight individuals over time.

it becomes a disability when they don't exert any effort at all, trying to make sense of what fat really is. but i don't think not all obese people are like that. i think it only encompasses obese people who have lost their self-actualization. there are fat people who always keep a positive attitude and thus making them loveable as they are.

See, I understand what you saying. I never take close parking spots at place like Walmart, so people who can't walk can use them instead. It makes me mad when I see people who aren't handicapped take those spots and they even don't have a tag to say they can park there.Anyway, I do know moving around is a lot harder if you are obese and many people who are overweight to that point have many other problems as well, such as diabetes, poor circulation, arthritis, and many other conditions caused by there weight and hereditary. Its not that I think that overweight people shouldn't use scooters, in the stores, but I do understand that they should be trying to do something about there condition and expecting everyone to care for them. My mom was one of those people, except she couldn't walk very far and she didn't go out that much. However she at least did something about she lost a lot of wait over 100 pounds and she is able to go shopping and everything, but still has issues walking for long periods longer then 30 minutes, because of other hereditary factors.

I thing there should be a disablility license. Like the tags you hang in your car except a card that only those people get a power scooter so the others don't get it for the fun of it. Obesity is a big problem, and yet it's not so easy to pull yourself away from the table after dinner. If it was that easy I'd be skinny, pretty, and have loads of guys fawning over me. Well maybe not loads but you get my point. I'm not severely obese, only about 2% or so and yet, when you've grown up eating full meals and being told to finish you food before you can leave the table and having parents with a heavy hand in serving, it's hard to turn down that second or third serving. It's just hard. I do wish they would stop talking like we could lose 50 pound by moving our big butts away from the table. I personally get sick if I don't eat, so thats out of the question. Do they really flip you off? Hard to imaging that someone would do that even if you got there first. Maybe they should have driven faster...

Personally I believe there are different types of obesity disabilities. There's the people that are stuck with it (ex. heredity) and there's the people that just don't try. It's not a disability if try to be healthy. That like me saying, "I don't want to try to think and be smart" and then people label me as a retard. That isn't fair to the people that really are. It is an excuse for some but for others it's a reality.

I think it's all a question of choice.

If they choose to be fat then you shouldn't treat it as a disability or give them any kind of preferential treatment. However, if they can't help the fact that they are fat, say for instance they have a serious eating disorder or a physical ailment that means that they don't have control over their weight then they should be helped and given preferential treatment like the elderly. It's all a question of whether they can't control their weight or just choose not to.

I would like to state that being obese, unfortunately, is not a choice. Some people have great, strong, and healthy metabolism that help them digest food easily and quickly, even if they eat a lot. Some people, even though barely eating, have a weaker metabolism that makes them "obese" and the fatty layer to pile up.

But in the United State's case, obesity was mostly not caused by a weak metabolism. It is mostly caused by the paramount power of Mc*Donald, Bur*ger King, K*FC, etc. The obesity can also be blamed on pizza and easy transportation. But even though you blame these fastfood chain restaurants, it is still America's fault. The people were the ones who chose to eat at these unhealthy places -- so in this case, being obese is a disability.

Edited by BordaForx (see edit history)

But in the United State's case, obesity was not due to a weak metabolism. It is mostly caused by the paramount power of Mc*Donald, Bur*ger King, K*FC, etc. The obesity can also be blamed on pizza and easy transportation. But even though you blame these fastfood chain restaurants, it is still America's fault. The people were the ones who chose to eat at these unhealthy places -- so in this case, being obese is a disability.

I don't think its the United States is to blame for the problem, but I do agree with you that the fast food companies are part of the problem. I know that Mc Donalds can do a lot to at least make their burgers lower in fat and calories, but they don't choose to change there equipment, that leaves the fat and grease on the fryer and in your food. So in my opinion, the burger places have no excuse for having higher calorie/fat burgers.

I'm currently dieting right now, but I still eat what would be considered fast food at least once or twice a week and I'm still losing weight, but not alot at once. Been dieting for about a good 5 months and lost about 10 pounds. Which to mean is better then those people on TV who only call a successful diet when you lose 50 pounds in a month. However, I have been avoiding places like Mc Donalds because there food has so high in calories and fat that I would have to eat one meal a day to eat there and that's there.

I think obesity is a big problem in America. Obese people think simply because they are fat they suffer from a disability more than a simple eatting disorder. It makes me sick to walk through Walmart and see the elderly being forced to wait in line or walk while the fat ppl. ride in the power scooters because they think they are too good to walk. It also makes me angry when you get a close parking place and they flip you off or throw a hissy fit because they feel it's rude towards them because they have to walk further.Obese ppl. want to say that they can not help that they are fat, Anybody can help being fat if they can take themselves away from the Kitchen table and not eat more than they should.
They think that because they are fat everybody should cater to them and I think it's wrong that they just because they suffer from simply over eatting that they are better than the rest of us who at least try to remain active and in fairly good health.

Others may say that it's tipical for ppl like me who have a figure to make fun of serverly overwieght ppl. I don't make fun of ppl. because of their weight, I think it's a problem as I said before that it's a result of their own actions and not the fault of the public at large. Getting crippled in a car wreck is very differnt than over eatting. You can't say it's a disablity when too many who have been fat have lost weight. If you don't want to lose weight, you're not going to.

It's very striking that we live in a country where half our population is overweight yet half the population of the world starves.

I do make fun of them when i was below 6 years old, but now i don't.
Some fat people are bad, but sometimes calling people fat is'nt always an insult.
Some of them are fat because they are lazy to do exercise, and they like to insult you for being skinny,
I wou'ld usually reply them with: "Being skinny is nice, i get to digest faster, easier to walk, and don't need to waste money for many food."
I eat many junk foods too, but I don't find myself full with oil, because I often exercise, I practice teakwondo every week and golf every month once or twice. I love to run/jog at school but not messing up people by hitting myself on their face.
The fat people you mentioned is really bad, just like they are v.i.p"s just because they are fat...
But fat people I know does not do that, they are nice :lol:
Edited by quakesand (see edit history)

with regards to obese people using scooters, well with their condition, they aren't really allowed to walk in long periods of time, or in the worst case, to stand in long periods of time. it has something to do with their legs. the pressure of their body is placed heavily on their legs so it gives a lot of pressure on the joints, which would be harmful in more ways than one. that is why when doctors advise their obese patients to exercise, they have to do the "low impact" exercises, such as bicycling and swimming (i think swimming is far better, in my opinion). as they loose weight, they can do more of the high impact exercises as advised by the doctor. of course, the doctor's advise helps a lot. one doesn't want to compromise his health by doing some extraneous activities just to lose weight.with regards to the fast food chains, yeah, they contribute to obesity. but it's mainly because of the calories that their meals contain. the whole blame should be put on the person him/herself who consumes more of these stuff. more meaning frequency of consumption. i think there was this guy who documented how much he has gained by ordering his meals in fast food chains. and consuming these kinds of food in a week. i think the title's "up size me" or something like that.

If obesity can cause a higher chance of Type 2 diabetes later on in life and a variety of heart complications, each which can eventually be terminally a life risking thing; I'd say it is a disability. I don't get what the big deal about it is, though. America has more food. Hell, we feed other countries as well. It's each and every person's own fault. Not advetising. Not McDonalds. Nobody forced food down their throat. Nobody's continuing to force food down their throat. Obesity is only a problem in American, since food is more widely available. If other countries had the resources, the problem would follow.I don't get why overweight people crave sympathy, either. You're fat, it's your own fault. Eat less? Problem solved. The same goes for anorexics and bulimics. If they want to starve themselves to death or vomit their guts out, it's really not my problem. The only thing worse than having to listen to whining is watching them trying to pass themselves off as if they're attractive. You know what I'm talking about. Some overweight girl wearing a shirt, where his stomach is showing with rollls going over the belt line. If I wanted to permanently damage my eyes, I'd stab them with a pen or stare directly at the sun with a maginifying glass. Blech. Cover up, seriously. If you could just wise up, lose weight, and stop blaming society for your problems you'd be okay. I don't mean people with medical disorders, since they can't help it. On second thought, being lazy shouldn't be a disability -- unless if we're talking about mental retardation. I suppose it'll work if you eat McDonalds 4 times a day and don't excercise and try to sue the company because you don't understand food will make you fat. I'm honestly not suprised with how stupid people are any more. Seriously.