xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
owbussey

Some New Apple Ipods Contain A Virus From Windows!

Here is the deal. I got this video ipod recently and it turns out that it had a worm on it. I was only one fo the few but it did have one. The virus is called RavMonE Virus. Here is a link to find out more about it. more info It doesn't affect macs only windows based computers. I plugged it up to the computer and my antivirus detected a worm and I was very surprised.

I did some research and it turns out that some contracted company who builds the ipods for apple had computers connected to the ipods and they had been infected. These computers were windows based PCs. I thought it was funny they were not MAcs since they are making ipods and are paid by apple.

Anyway there is no real worry becuase all the virus does is lower the security rating for your computer. security software like mine (Mcaffee) shoudl pick it up. I think it is just really weird that viruses could even get on the ipods in the first place. I had no idea that viruses even could come from them. I guess I should watch out in the future. I should have known to be careful since ipods are miniharddrives.

Well Ipods connected to Windows computers probably have songs being placed on them or something. It doesn't really matter I guess what type of computer it is as long as it has Itunes on it. I haven't heard of a virus being on an Ipod before but I guess if you know the software or load someting disguised as a song then maybe that'll work but I'm not sure.

It attempts to spread by coping itself to mapped and removable storage drives and also opens a backdoor on an infected system.

Well, you know, that sounds like an iPod to me. There computers must have been infected while creating iPod, and it found a way out, judging by the description it wouldn't be hard for it.

It's a relief that all it does is open backdoors, then again that could lead to problems. But as you said, it's easily detectable.

I don't think there is any way your iPod could be damaged by this, since as far as I know iPods don't connect to the internet. Only other way would be like this, plugging it in and have your computer already be effected.

It also goes by these aliases;

Backdoor.Rajump (Symantec)W32/Jisx.A.worm (Panda)
W32/RJump-C (Sophos)
W32/RJump.A!worm (Fortinet)
Win32/RJump.A (ESET)
Win32/RJump.A!Worm (CA)
Worm.RJump.A (BitDefender)
Worm.Win32.RJump.a (Kaspersky)
Worm/Rjump.E (Avira)
WORM_SIWEOL.B (TrendMicro)

Watch out there guys. Thanks for this info.

I hope this threat is not found in the chinese mp4 players.I've got one of those cheap chinese mp4 players. ... I think that its not specific to ipods. Worms and viruses can enter any storage device. I got a worm once on my nokia mobile, it affected my computer real bad but my mobile functioned okay!

Good thing that this virus doesnt affect the Ipod that much because I am getting my IPOD in the mail and it should come in ain a few days, or even weeks. Hopefully only days. I also use a PC afor my Ipod to upload muisc and videos. One question though, does this only affect the video Ipod or does it affect every Ipod from the shuffle to the nano and every that is in between those? I hope not.

wow. I bet the person that put that virus on that package of ipods is probably in court, or jail, or paying a really nifty fine for doing what he did. Serves him right :lol:

wow. I bet the person that put that virus on that package of ipods is probably in court, or jail, or paying a really nifty fine for doing what he did. Serves him right :lol:

as far as anyone knows it was not on purpose
luckily i got my nano a year ago and it had no virus as far as i know :(