xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sharn

Avi To Dvd A tut on converting and burning

Forenote:
I DO NOT ENCOURAGE PIRATING MOVIES. You will also need QUITE a lot of hard drive space to do this procedure. I recommend at least 10Gb free. Now, to get started.

Convert your movie to M2V

DVD players should always be able to play M2V format. Please note this step MAY take up to 12 hours, but for me, about 5. I leave it going overnight when I'm not working on my PC. Look at the bottom of this guide for links to what you will need, download the TMPGEnc demo. Go into the TMPGEnc folder and run TMPGEnc.exe, when it opens, it should start a project wizard. If not, click File > New Project. In the project window, select NTSC. Not NTSC 16:9 or Low-resolution, just NTSC. I'm assuming your AVI has ac3 audio, that's the way I know how to do.

In the dropdown select Linear PCM Audio. Hit Next. In the video area, browse and select your AVI movie file. I sggest leaving all other options alone, unless you are experienced and know what they do. Hit next again. If you want to cut some of the movie out, select the first option on this page. If not, don't do anything else but open "Other Settings".

In Other Settings, at the very bottom under Motion Search Precision: select "Highest quality (Very slow)"
unless your computer is really slow, in which case choose a faster one. Hit ok then next. It will display a warning or something on auto bitrate selection, just hit ok. On the last screen, make the movie slightly smaller. Around 94% is good, because you still have to fit in a 150Mb sound file. Then hit next. Choose where you want to save the M2V file. Put it somewhere fairly easy to remember. Hit ok and go to bed. You don't want to play around on your PC while it's encoding, you may mess it up.

Rip the ac3 sound track off the AVI

Head to the link for VirtualDubMod, and download it. VDB is freeware, so feel free to hand it out and whatnot. Run VirtualDubMod.exe. Hit File > open video file, and open your original AVI. Hit Streams > Stream list. Select the AVI Audio stream 1 and hit "Demux". Save it in the same place as your M2V movie file. Hit ok and let it do it's thing, should take about 30 mins up to an hour.

Put your files together into DVD file system

Download Ifoedit from the links at the bottom. Run Ifoedit.exe, and go into DVD Author > Author new DVD. select your M2V and AC3 files, for the right areas. M2V in video and AC3 in audio. Probably just leave the save file path in that spot, unless you have a reason not to. Hit ok and wait for it to finish.

Now you have two options. You SHOULD have a AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder. Audio_ts WILL NOT have anything in it. That is normal. There should be several files in Video_ts. Right now, you could just turn those two folders into an ISO and burn them and it should work. Or, there's another way.

DVD Shrink and DVDdecrypter to burn

Go to http://www.doom9.org/ into downloads and get DVDDecrypter. Install it. Get DVD shrink here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Download and install it; open it up and click re-author, browse to your _TS folders and you should see a selection there. Hit OK or whatever and let it do it's thing. (I'm not highly experienced with either of these programs) It should put an ISO where you told it to. Open DVDDecrypter, hit W to go to Write mode, click browse to the right of Source: and find the ISO put out by Shrink. Throw an EMPTY DVD into your burner, and set your write speed, i suggest keeping it at or below 8x, but it's up to you. Then hit the big button in the bottom left, and let er burn!

Links and afterword

Links:
http://www.doom9.org/software.htm - Here you can get lots of stuff, look here for the tools or check other links below.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - Trial TMPGEnc, only does M2V for 30 days. Buy if you need longer. :)
http://www.ifoedit.com/index.html - Ifoedit, get the top one, 0971.

I hope you enjoyed my tut, and I hope it works for what you need. If you have any more questions, or a correction, comment, etc, please speak up!

if you are looking to do this....you could just use WinAVI and it does all those steps but the burning which takes nero about 15 mintues....

thanks for this tutorial, if what i am planinng on doing right now (which is using ConvertXToDVD and converting all of the videos i want to write to a DVD to a DVD Format) does't work, i will try this. and then what aggie said.

if you are looking to do this....you could just use WinAVI and it does all those steps but the burning which takes nero about 15 mintues....

Yeah, but, like seriously. What fun would that be? :)

Besides, my way is cheaper. Like... free. (For 30 days...)

And we don't all have Nero. At least I don't.

Too much hustle in this tutorial as I can see...Like Albus mentioned, you just use convertxtodvd which is one of the most useful and easy-to-use programs I've encountered. And much quicker than the procedure you mentioned.You can even put multiple avi's in the same dvd and ofcourse subtitles, as many as your heart desires :)http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Edited by johnsmith (see edit history)

Hello man very well it that you speak about the piracy many persons estan selling CD-ROOM of movies pirastas for the street also estan stealing reputation from the musical artists, singers with MP3 pirates in end lately quite this badly serious well to find the way of doing that this already does not happenGood man one please good topic Sige like that . :)

Cool! My dad was trying to get some DVDs burned and we found this AVI to DVD converter and burned them, but we couldn't get two AVI's onto it. It's too late now, but it probably would have helped us a lot to have seen this tutorial before. I hope anyone that needs it finds this tutorial before they waste too much time trying to figure it out by themselves, like I did.

Greetings..i hava a question.do you know how to convert a xvid or avi file whit a subtitle to a dvdor a avi film to a cd (VCD) or (KVCD)i have record a fiml for school o i want to add subtitle to itbut i dont know how to make them and add them.tnx in advance

Edited by Blessed (see edit history)