xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NigaiAmaiYume

How Should I Create A Mask On An Existing Render? Specifically using GIMP 2

While I like GIMP (Largely because it's free. ^-^), it can be a LITTLE confusing. Plus, my searches regarding this question have managed to only confuse me more. So, I decided to risk looking like a fool in exchange for credits and quality help. ^-^What I want to do:- Take an existing render (the one in my sig, actually, kindly donated by truefusion) and create a mask over the face.- "Mask" as in "Phantom of the Opera", and not in the sense of any graphic program. ^-^ Actually, the PofO reference is apt, since I'll be wanting it cut to show some of the original face...How I've been planning to go about this:- Create a selection over the area of the face I want to be "masked", not including the hair (FUN...).- Use some of the Color Tools to change the colors to porceline/white, while taking advantage of existing shading to keep depth.- Create an outline at the edge of the selection to define the mask.Problems thus far:- Using Select tools. I can't seem to get my head around how GIMP does selecting. Mostly since my experience is largly in MS Paint. ^-^;- What Color Tools would be best to change the flesh tones to a less realistic white/washed out pink.Any specific suggestions? Anyone know any existing tutorials that may be useful for me? Anyone kind enough to explain exactly what I need to do? ^-^Thanks!

I noticed that the GIMP doesn't have a large selection of selection tools (heh). So, the only way to make polygonal selections, at least to my knowledge, is using the Pen Tool, and start drawing around what you need. Then just convert it into a selection.EDIT: Ok, for color tools. To do what you want, may require some extra work--but this is what i can come up with, for now. Duplicate the render layer. Make a selection around the skin, then apply a layer mask to it: This should make it so only the skin is visible for that layer. Then use Color Balance (Layers > Colors > Color Balance) to make the skin into whatever color you want. Then lock both render layers together, just incase you decide to move the render, they both will move together.

You know , first of all The saying that not all things free are great... well that is true about GIMP, I feel sorry that you have to use Gimp. This is one piece of crap software that no one should use.. I tis very difficult and very crappy. Yes sme poeple can create som really noce designs but i suggest save some money and buy your self photshop