xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

File Type Utf-16 Unicode Question What is it and why wont it work?

File Type: Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode C++ program character data, with CRLF line terminators

This is the file type of a file I just uploaded to a folder on my account and the file doesn't work. :)

It is supposed to be a lowly CSS file, but the page comes out with - zero - styling on it. Wrks fine locally on a windows laptop and an iMac, too.

Also, when I view the file in the cpanel file manager editor, it is double spaced and there are some really weird characters in the front of the first line. I can't 'snag' the characters on a cut and paste, but they are really weird, like a small a-e combined.
None of the special characters show up on my laptop editor, but I load them onto a zip drive and then upload them using a Mac PPC which is connected to the Internet. Could this be the problem? Except the file never lands on the Mac, though. The file Manager grabs them from the zip drive connected to the mac. Make sense to anyone?
How do I get the file onto my account without this character encoding being wrong?

*edit*

Solved this by copying the file on my laptop to a '.txt' file extension and then proceeding to upload the file the same way. Than in the cpanel, renaming it to a '.css'. Works great now. Just a little mysterious, though.
I use this procedure all the time and it hasn't failed yet...