xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mjay06

Fao Buffalo/anyone Who Is Good On Ipb

I have put tis in general as it isnt a Xisto issue, but is there anyway of recovering a poll created on an IPB forum after it has been accidently deleted?It wasnt deleted as such, but two threads were merged & in the process the poll has vanished. The original thread still exists in its entirety, just the poll is missing.Any help would be great.

what version ipb are you running.If it's anything older then 2.1 then the poll is deleted. Although I never seen a poll get deleted from post merge before.

Its 2.1.7It was a new mod who wasnt too sure what they were doing.The poll had in the region of 7000 votes, & is pretty important.It isnt really practical to do a full db restore as the site would lose thousands of posts & hundreds of members. Is it possible to find the relevant poll sql file & restore just that? Or get the figures from it maybe?

Wow... that's some ouch you got there.I suppose you can look through the backup (not restoring) and see if you can isolate two polls before the merge.Then edit the current merged topic and manually enter missing values. Under ACP it will show which mod, time and topic titles merged. Use it as an anchor and search the backup for the search point.Perhaps OpaQue has better procedure...

Wow... that's some ouch you got there.
I suppose you can look through the backup (not restoring) and see if you can isolate two polls before the merge.

Then edit the current merged topic and manually enter missing values. Under ACP it will show which mod, time and topic titles merged. Use it as an anchor and search the backup for the search point.

Perhaps OpaQue has better procedure...

The poll as such isnt the most important thing unfortunately, its the actual results which are needed. I suggested pulling the particular table from the backup & then restoring that into the active database, but i'm not entirely sure that will work.

no you would have to do a restore to get the post back. Or do this create dummy forum and then use the back up db and put all the info on there and then grab hte results from there.If you do that you won't have to worry about losing anything from the current board and when you grab the results and such take a print screen and then post it on the current topic then delete the dummy forum.

no you would have to do a restore to get the post back. Or do this create dummy forum and then use the back up db and put all the info on there and then grab hte results from there.
If you do that you won't have to worry about losing anything from the current board and when you grab the results and such take a print screen and then post it on the current topic then delete the dummy forum.

Thats an excellent idea. Cheers guys :)

If the results of each poll (poll vote numbers) are the important and not the actual posts itself, also try searching google.If google cached your page, hopefully recently, you can perhaps "recover" most of voting results... no?

If the results of each poll (poll vote numbers) are the important and not the actual posts itself, also try searching google.
If google cached your page, hopefully recently, you can perhaps "recover" most of voting results... no?

That is a brilliant idea, but then the simple ideas usually are :)

basically when you delete a poll it will wipe it from the database structure, try looking on IPSBeyond maby there is a solution but i am pretty sure it will have got deleted. anaway when you try to delete a poll you will get a comfirmation box and the poll will only get deleted if you it confirm. Do you have a recent backup of the database if not tell IPB to do a SQL dump everyday at a certian time.,

If you're using an older version of IPB it'll delete the poll itself. Most times though in the newer version it'll ask, "Do you want to save the poll" or something similar. Maybe updating your IPB will prevent this from happening again.

@buff didn't even think about the cache, good idea. The cache date is at set at October 2nd so if you lost it after that date you should be fine. But I did not find a cached link to that poll though.But if you lost your poll after that date and you backed up before that date then you can retrieve the poll data.@kubi the version that is running is 2.1.7 so it was a just a matter of bad clicking and not paying attention that deleted the poll by accident.