xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soulju

Parachute Seating tsia =D

i came up with a brilliant idea a while ago. parachute seating in airplanes. in theory it would be most simple and i dont know why noone has done it, or if they have done it i dont know about ti. so if you run an airline company or have the money to actually go through with this invention please do it and make the world safer, i dont care if u steal my idea cus it will help people and i couldnt ever mass produce it. but here is a basic run down.|_| \ <--- pretend that is a seat on the airplaneon top left would be a parachute in a seat, the part where your back rests. of course u have to buckle up right?then say the plane is crashing for whatever reason, fuel loss cus the pilot was stupid... there is some form of attatchment from the base where u rest your **bottom** and the part beneath it that helps to support your **bottom**. you can either set it up to unlock automaticaly when the pilot hits a button or you could just leave it up to the people to undue it at any time. i suggest allowing the pilot to control it though because some idiot would definantly open the chute in the plane if u could just remove it at anytime. but it really is a good idea and wouldnt be as expensive as you might think. as with anything mass produced it becomes very cheap and easy. sounds like a good idea to me, but i am a bit crazy.. what do you think

I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. There is a parachute on the top of the seat so when you are in trouble it automatically attaches to you and the base of your chair falls out?

Well with only a seatbelt keeping you from falling to your death, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too safe. Also you'd need some sort of opening in the roof of the plane for the person to actually eject into the air. And think about it, only a seat belt holding you, that would hurt like hell. But yea if someone could refine that idea, it would be an excellent safety device :)

I'm sure FAA (at least for North America region) regulated and tested many different safty methods. Boeing, the largest airplane distributor, had a documentary aired a while ago about the process and testing they have done over the years regarding passenger safety.They first ruled out that ejecting from an airplane going 600+mph while flying over a large ocean at the altitude of 390-410 miles will suffocate an average passenger without prior training. And ejected seats will make it harder to locate survivors scattered through-out. The structure of an airplane was designed to float or bend and break to protect passengers...in most cases. And I believe landing on water took the higher risk analysis than on land (due to difficulties in rescue reaching by water), all airplane seats are to be used as a floatational device. The bottom of the seat pops up and used as floatational in case not everyone makes it to an emergency raft.Don't ask me why I pay attention to these trivias but ever since Sept 11, and my work requires me to fly 3~4 times a week, I have been paying closer attention to these details. Someone leaned over the other day and said, "you know an airplane crash has lower probability than getting into a car accident." I stopped to think while she continued, "...it's the company who failed to maintain the airplane that contributes to crashes."Parachute seat is a great idea. But I think it's not practical for large number of passengers.

welll check it out, it would be more of an X type strap that would fasten around your upper torso from the seat, no ejecting. you click some buttons or the pilot does, that release the upper portion of the chair, which is straped to your back, you would have to jump from the plane not enject =D and hell you can even use oxygen tanks. im just sayin i would rather take my risks with suffocating or whatever then slamming full force into the ocean or ground... maybe 5 of 200 people would survive with this method, maybe 200 of 200.. but you cant put a price on innocent life.. if it saved 1 person it would have been worth it.. its almost a guarantee though that if you just rode it into the gorund you wouldn't survive.

Unless I'm mistaken, seat belts do not have to be buckled unless there is turbulence or the plane is landing/taking off, so unless they had enough forewarning, it would be useless, and then even if there was enough forewarning for people to return to their seats and buckle in, it would all be based on whether or not the pilot remembered (read: was able to) press the passenger eject button, which then would only kill the passengers unless they were already far below the normal flight height.And then there would be the cost/inconvenience of installing seats that were comfortable, able to be reclined, and still able to drop out of the bottom of a plane...So, true, it may be a good addition, but it would (at least initially) be quite expensive and difficult to add without sacrificing comforts.

Point well taken with taking your life in your own hands. But I'm not sure if lawyers and airline companies see it that way. That's the key issue that I cannot see beyond this "who is responsible for lives of passengers" hurdle, to acknowledge your idea :) Sorry.