xisto Community
the_aggie10

Index Page

how do i create an index page so that i can have links on the side to different parts of my site?

mmm... If you had enough wisdom to make other pages of your site, you should know how to make and index and put links on it.

Anyway, I reccomend you to use Dreamweaver or other simmilar program (Frontpage also works) if you don´t know about html. Then you create a new file, you name it index.htm and you put links. Tthe symbol is usually a a chain, or you can find it in a menu, like insert>link or something like that.

in any case, putting a link on html it´s as easy as this

<a href="hello.htm">hello</a>
This will show the word hello and clicking on it, you will go to the page hello.htm that should be in the same dir as the one in which you put the link.

You can use also absolute links, with the entire path, for example
<a href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

And if you want it on the side (right or left) you have lots of options, tables (the most simple), css, php includes or even frames (not reccomended).

Simply open a tekst editor and save your file as index.html Then upload it done.

so i could use notepad and save it as that? then how would i upload it to my page?

Use an ftp client like filezilla or smartftp or use the file manager provided in the cpanel... Just go to the folder you want the file to be in(for index.html, go to "public_html") and then click the upload button, and I guess the rest are easy enough... But since you already have other pages, I guess this wouldnt be much of a problem to you...