xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hakkera

Hex Or Binary

This my sound like a bit of a noob question, but it has always occured to me. On screen, we get hexadecimal code, but the processor doesnt understand that right? So, if I make a program in Hex, would I have to compile it, I understnad that Hex is shorthand binary, but would I?

Lol, we're all noobs sometime. :) You wouldn't have to compile it.You'd just have to find a way to save it in that format, like through a hexadecimal editor,because normally data is saved in bytes (1 byte= 2 hexes = 256 binary bits)

This my sound like a bit of a noob question, but it has always occured to me. On screen, we get hexadecimal code, but the processor doesnt understand that right? So, if I make a program in Hex, would I have to compile it, I understnad that Hex is shorthand binary, but would I?

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'Hexadecimal Code'. Can you elaborate? I should be able to answer your question, I've been writing in assembly for 3 years. If your talking about data, such as:

Somedata db 0FFh

Then that will be turned into binary when it compiles. Or if you mean you are writing a program totally in Hex, that will work too. The compiler will convert that into code that the computer can understand.

Also,

(1 byte= 2 hexes = 256 binary bits)

The above is wrong. 1 byte consists of 8 bits, thus making 256 possible characters.

The above is wrong. 1 byte consists of 8 bits, thus making 256 possible characters.

Ah! Sorry about that. Heh, you'd think after programming in Z80 assembly for 4 yearsyou'd get that down. :) Anyway, ghostrider's right.

If you are writing whole programs in nothing but hex then you are hardly a noob. One of my programming ambitions is to be able to directly code in binary. The way that I envisage being able to do this is to learn a processor instruction set very thoroughly (e.g. x86asm or better yet risc os asm), then memorize the hex equivalent of each instruction, then become a virtuoso at converting hex to binary on sight and by memory. Eventually one could bash out any program in pure binary from mental calculations alone.Come to think of it, I can already convert hex to bin on sight e.g F is 1111 so now all I have to do is memorize the hex form of assembly instructions. The fun is just about to start. Yippee.