xisto Community
ishwar

Watching A Guy Getting Mugged

Hi guys,I live in Durban , South Africa, If you thinking of coming over here for the 2010 World Cup, just don't forget to bring about a team of 11 bodyguards, because crime is really rampant here.I just saw two guys come up to a passerby on the street , and stick a knife up his neck and steal his cellphone and his wallet in broad daylight. About 50 people were in the street and no one even looked up, including the police.My Dad got mugged three times, and our car stolen once.

How is the security there then? it must be so bad... getting mugged at day, is like so noob, who would do that here? the mugger can be easily identified by people as by police.And wow, 50 people on that street and no one saw that..I havent been mugged before, and i hope i dont get it never XD

hmm ... I'm still thinking about coming "down" to South Africa next year ["down" 'cause I'm way up in the north ... Germany] to volunteer in an orphanage between Durban and what's-this-place's-name? anyways, in their hints-sheet they have the advice not to leave the train station or airport without those guys who're going to pick you up since "crime is a serious problem around there"...

crime is a serious problem around there...

Yep it sure, its a shame though , because South Africa is so beautiful, and it's the most developed nation in Africa.

How is the security there then? it must be so bad... getting mugged at day, is like so noob, who would do that here? the mugger can be easily identified by people as by police.
And wow, 50 people on that street and no one saw that..
I havent been mugged before, and i hope i dont get it never XD

The police saw the whole thing , and pretended they didn't notice, somehad to tell them that they should follow the robbers.

I would put down this behaviour of the police down to three things:

1) Plain laziness , or
2) Frustration because they cannot handle the crime , or
3) They are scared of the robbers (most likely)

Yeah, when crime does get out of hand, the police are usually too few to do anything, but sometimes it's (like you said) because the police are too scared... Now i'm not blaming them, but if they had guns, that wouldn't happen :)

Im 15 and I live in New Zealand. My family imigrated from South Africa about 12 years ago. We still have family in South Africa, and from what they have told me the crime there is no joke. At the moment Johanesberg,South Africa is probably the scarriest place in the world to be right now. My cousin has seen at least two muggings. My aunty was mugged recentley, tied up and thrown into the back of her car Lucky to be alive. Its impossible to walk down the street without being attacked at least once. In fact im pretty sure every person living in South Africa knows at least one person who has been mugged, attacked or even killed.My mother told me a story that she heard from her freind who works at a dentist school there: A professor is asking all his students what they are doing over the holidays, informing them they should try to get jobs. First he asks one student, "oh im working at my uncles supermarket". Then another, "oh im working with my cousin in a surf shop". Finally the last student "Oh ive got a job working with some freinds stealings cars for a local gang". That is how easily crime is looked over in South Africa at the moment. From what I have heard. In South Africa CRIME PAYS, its the scary truth. The prisons are over flowing, AIDS affects something like 20% and millions are in poverty.Apparantley about 150 police officers have been killed so far this year.If you are going to South Africa in 2010 be careful.

Im 15 and I live in New Zealand. My family imigrated from South Africa about 12 years ago. We still have family in South Africa, and from what they have told me the crime there is no joke. At the moment Johanesberg,South Africa is probably the scarriest place in the world to be right now.
My cousin has seen at least two muggings. My aunty was mugged recentley, tied up and thrown into the back of her car Lucky to be alive.

Its impossible to walk down the street without being attacked at least once. In fact im pretty sure every person living in South Africa knows at least one person who has been mugged, attacked or even killed.

My mother told me a story that she heard from her freind who works at a dentist school there:

A professor is asking all his students what they are doing over the holidays, informing them they should try to get jobs. First he asks one student, "oh im working at my uncles supermarket". Then another, "oh im working with my cousin in a surf shop". Finally the last student "Oh ive got a job working with some freinds stealings cars for a local gang".

That is how easily crime is looked over in South Africa at the moment.

From what I have heard. In South Africa CRIME PAYS, its the scary truth.
The prisons are over flowing, AIDS affects something like 20% and millions are in poverty.
Apparantley about 150 police officers have been killed so far this year.

If you are going to South Africa in 2010 be careful.

Lucky you moved man. MAny of my friends are also moving to NZ / Australia

That's disgusting.. to have that much trouble.. the thing is - what do you do??? I mean - me, as a martial artist and boxer, I would still have to think twice before getting involved in a situation that is not my 'problem', especially when a knife is involved. I guess it's a society in which you say nothing, you see nothing, and you get along fine.. you stand out of line, then they'll kick you back into it.... Kinda unfair, but I think it's gotta be everyone for themselves. Getting involved in a situation like that can often get you and even maybe the other victim seriously injured or dead. And that's not the end of it, they'd probably come back and get you in a dark alley with a bat the next day or something.. probably just not worth going for it.... But the police! well.. shows how good they are!

man, it makes you lock your door and stay inside your home, where you are (quite) safe, for the rest of your life when you hear things like that. i travel quite a lot during the summer, and it just makes me sad when i hear things like that because it also makes me think about staying home and about what this word has become.... several of my friends got mugged brutally some time ago, one was going (little drunk) from the party, when 2 men attacked and mugged him, he was lucky that a taxi driver has found him, because they beat him so hard that he has lost consiousness and was lying on the floor just where they have beaten and mugged him. he was in hospital for a few days. other friend was just walking home from a friends house, whe 4 man attacked him, beaten him hard two times, dragged him to cash machine and forced him to enter his PIN code and withdraw all his money which they have taken, and beat him hard again... the really sad thing is that the police cant do nothing against taht kind of crime, so none of those people got caught...

Sure they could. How about forensics? When your friend was being dragged, a hair may have fallen from one of the attackers. They could also find skin cells on his clothes. He could give a description of the attackers, and the police could track them down. With intense questioning, they should find all 4 attackers, surely.Oh and Ishwar, I'm sure it's not easy watching someone get stabbed. That kind of thing would make me scream and possibly make me paranoid while on the streets. (What, with the growing CHAV population here.)

This world is starting to get over populated by criminals. Like a phrase from the movie 'Batman Begins', "What chances does [place name] have when the good people does nothing".My dad's working somewhere in south africa, and just a few months back he was quarantined in his office building for a day because there were mobs in front of the building demanding money, compensation for being on their land.They're the as*hol*s who doesn't make good use of their lives and they're blaming it on people who actually does. I really find that very annoying. I just hate people who blames other people for their own faults.