xisto Community
turbohead

What's Everyone's Childhood Dream?

What did everyone dreamed of being when we were kids?For me, I wanted to drive cars, to become a driver.That is when I was child, mom take me to see a film. I couldn't remeber what is that film. During the film, mom asked me, "What do you want to do when your are grown up, dear?" I like cars very much, and partly deal to the influence of that film, I answered, "Mommy, I dreamed of becoming a driver, just drive cars!" Mom and I both remember this clearly, and every time I remember this, it brings a lot of memories of my childhood :) .

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a famous professional baseball player. At the time, I thought I was really good at baseball. I remember one time I asked my mom how much baseball players had to pay to play. Lol, she told me that they got paid. I was shocked.

for me, i dreamt of becoming an astronaut back then. :) i had a keen interest in astronomy way back, and i read every astronomy book i can get my hands on. but then it dawned on me that it was not easy to become an astronaut, with all the physical trainings you have to undergo before even qualifying to go into orbit. and then as a kid, it always puzzled me how they get to do their daily chores in space (like disposing off their physical wastes, etc) with their bulky suits on. :P of course, i didn't know back then that they are able to move freely inside the spacecraft minus the bulky suits. :P it's just that the word "astronaut" imprinted in my mind a caricature and i never pictured them without the appropriate suit. :Pi had also my archaelogist-phase, since i always fancied the adventures archaelogists experience in their work, not to mention that i also like having the requisite tools they use and donning the outfits they wear for the job. think indiana jones, and imagine a kid acting like one. :P

when i was a kid i always dreamed of being a professional soccer playeri have been playing soccer since i was 5, still got all my trophies all under my bed just there probly all dusty and old roflz. but this year i decided to stop playing soccer, for now i just dont have time for it. so the dream that i always wanted, i dont think it will happen.

I always wanted to be a scientist and discover/invent "the next BIG thing" Somehow, not too surprisingly, I always imagined scientists the way the mass media has portrayed them: eccentric Einstein-like hairdo, white lab coats, flasks and tubes of bubbling potions and concoctions, explosive chemicals and whirly spinning mechanisms.

Then, when I was still young and gullible, I wanted to be a doctor, mainly because my parents also wanted me to be one, mostly because it pays well at the time. I had no idea that being a doctor included blood, along with other body fluids from other people but when I did find out, I have totally forsaken the field of medicine.

A lingering fantasy was to be a king of some remote island nation. I find islands easier to manage than mainland nations. Of course, I enjoyed dreaming of riches, having to do nothing back-breaking and having servants/slaves at my bidding any time of the day. When I found out that most countries had presidents and prime ministers instead of kings, I hoped that there might be some previously unexplored island out there where some birthmark or body feature would make me their king, or even better, their god.

When I stepped into college and came to terms with my homosexuality, I dreamt of becoming a princess :P but that's probably another story :)

Various things. For the LONGEST time, I wanted to be a vet. Actually went to my current University (Good ol' U of Guelph) because of it's Vetrinary program.First year in Biological Sciences, however, I was HATING my classes, except Psychology. Then a partner in a chem lab asked me why I was in the physical sciences when I identified myself primarily as a fantasy writer. Now, this question had come up many times on-line. But when she asked me, I just looked at her, walked up to the TA, and asked if I had to stay if I planned on dropping the course. When she said no, I walked out, and haven't looked back.Ended up changing my program to Child, Youth and Family Studies (AKA Social Work). I still would have liked to work with animals, but now I am totally into my plan to work with children. Doesn't seem so different in my mind. ^-^ And I'm liking the classes better.Plus, it's REALLY helping my stories. ^-^And if you ask, why didn't I want to be a writer? That's like asking someone if they planned on breathing when they grew up. That's how hard it would be for me to STOP. ^-^

Yes, sometimes the reallity is far from dreams, and most of our present professions are so different from what we have dreamed. I once dream to be a driver, but now I'm on my Tradition Chinese Pharmacy(TCP) course in college, far from driving cars(I haven't got a car myself lol). I like my classes, and I'm planning to learn psychology during my spare time :) . TCP is amazing, though somefimes the medicines made in its way tastes terribe, the curative effect is amazing to some diseases(I still remember the terrible taste I have ever had lol).Childhood is really unforgettable. I still remeber the times that I played hide-and-seek with my fellows, and some little quarrels and fights between us(that even firms our relationship lol).

Edited by turbohead (see edit history)