xisto Community
darran

Macintosh Or Windows Which will you choose?

I have never tried mac before. I have always been a windows kinda guy. One of the reasons I wouldn't want Mac is the compatability problem with a lot of softwares. That Boot Camp thing sounds complicatex and many others may think so too and that may be the reason they wouldn't want Mac. As Windows Vista has come out, a lot of people would rather have that because of all the new offline features it has. As for iPod and iTunes: I HATE IT - or i dislike them. I'm not really fund of Apple products, and the iPod is one of those wich I like the least.

I have never tried mac before. I have always been a windows kinda guy. One of the reasons I wouldn't want Mac is the compatability problem with a lot of softwares. That Boot Camp thing sounds complicatex and many others may think so too and that may be the reason they wouldn't want Mac. As Windows Vista has come out, a lot of people would rather have that because of all the new offline features it has.
As for iPod and iTunes: I HATE IT - or i dislike them. I'm not really fund of Apple products, and the iPod is one of those wich I like the least.

If boot camp is too complicated for you, you probably dont even know how to install a video game. All you do to install Windows on a mac is

1. Download boot camp
2. Install Boot camp
3. Partition your HD
4. Restart your computer

And there you go! Next is all Windows installation. You know, that icky, horrible, disgusting blue screen? Yep thats all you have to do on the Mac side.

And why dont you like iPods? if you HATE them so much why didnt you give at least one example why? I "HATE" WMP because its bulky and not as slim line and clean as iTunes. It has cover flow which is a nice touch also :P Plus, iTunes you can download for BOTH mac and PC, yet PC hasn't released a WMP except for WMP9 and thats only for Power PC and i have an intel so your screwed.

Windows, because Macs are a major hastle. I use a mac twice a year when I go to my cousin's house (that's all he has) and it's really annoying. We wanted to play 2 player starcraft, but we only had 1 game, so we were going to make a disk image on one of the comps. Should be easy, right?Well, it wasn't. Mac's disk utility would go through the entire process of making the disc image, only at the end to say the file could not be used. Apparently this only applied to one disc, since disk utility would make images of every other disc he had. Fantastic.So I went online in hopes to find a better image writer for mac. Since there's almost no third party software available for a mac, it took me a while to find it. I finally found one though, but there was another problem. For some reason Safari decided to name the program .dmg.txt (instead of .dmg, which the file was), a text file, and did this no matter how many times I tried. There was nothing I could do to fix this, since on a mac, changing the extension does not change how the comp tries to read it. Great =/We never did get to play starcraft. He ended up having to download an iso image for the game so we could play next time I was there =/

Mac is great as what everybody says and I think its true, but when it comes to selling itself to the market and the users it is poor. To run Mac u need a different set of hardwares. Meaning you have to buy it as a package. And when it breaks no one can help you. Too few people knows how to repair it or diagnose it. With pc, I can customize the hardwares and stuffs. If only Mac runs on pc machines :P. Here in my cuontry Mac is a ghost. To own a Mac here for personal use is being stupid. You can not find stores that sells software for Mac, not even in the black market. Too few softwares to work with. For businesses its bad also becuase there are no good programming tools for fast system development like Visual Basic for Windows. THe only option I guess is using Java in creating programs. Mac, when it comes to entertainment, its boring, too few games. In WIndows I can even play arcade game using emulators. Play Marios Bros, Battle City and other arcade games or even gameboy games.To cut it short, Mac is for selected users (5% of all the computer user heheheh) while Windows is for everybody. And the winner would be the OS which everybody can work with easily. When I said everybody not all of us but most of us.

I have to say one thing about Macs because people always bring this up and it sort of makes me mad because i never bought a mac because of this. People always say 5% of people have them and that is it. Well lets say 1% have them. Does that make it a bad thing? No. I want to compare it to a car. Think about this. How many people have a Ford or Chevy compared to a Ferrai? I can tell you right now its not even close. I can also tell you a Ferrai is a hell of a lot better them so ford car or truck. Percentages don't matter it's about performance.

My Mac at school (i have a laptop and a personal desktop mac at school) froze today. The first time all year. About 5 months. Every USB device i have ever plugged in has had no problems. I can list tons on my PC.

PC
1. The mouse sometimes gets choppy
2. My external HD somtimes freezes the entire computer and doesnt read at all
3. I can't get my printer to work at all with the software even.

On my mac:
1. Never, ever had a problem
2. Takes a little while to start up compared to my PC, thats when it even does, but it always works
3. I didnt even need to install the software included and it worked. Not only that i have plugged it in to more then one printer and never needed the software.

Those are only three. Also if you think its a problem with my computer. I have a 2 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, 100GB, DUO processor AND is brand new laptop. Bought in July of last year.

So I went online in hopes to find a better image writer for mac. Since there's almost no third party software available for a mac, it took me a while to find it.

Kidding? Apple.com has thousands and thousands of freeware. Thats on THERE site even. Microsoft doesnt have thousands of freeware from third parties. By the way i'm only talking about Apple.com

Windows, because Macs are a major hastle.

Ok that is for sure a joke. Calling restart after every installation, whole uninstaller to delete a program that doesnt even work every time, freezes, plug and play isnt really plug and play, blue screen of death, ctrl+alt+dlt over and over again to turn one non-responsive program off, or how about amazingly fast search feature that works like *BLEEP* (by the way that was sarcastic) Macs MAYBE a hastle to someone who doesnt know how to use them or to Gamers.

For some reason Safari decided to name the program .dmg.txt (instead of .dmg, which the file was), a text file, and did this no matter how many times I tried. There was nothing I could do to fix this, since on a mac, changing the extension does not change how the comp tries to read it.

If it were actually Safari why not try, Camino, IE 5, Firefox, Opera, or just any other browser if you really were trying. And just to let you know, I just tried changing an extension to see if what you said was true, and it isn't. I just changed .jpgs to .pngs and a .mov to a .wmv and both of those said "Unable to read tha data" But when i switched them back they worked fine. Plus, each time i went to change the extension it gave me a warning that you changing the extension and could make the file unreadable.

I'm a little hostile of people saying Macs are bad because i have used Windows, Macs, and Linuxs and i love Macs the best. That is not the main reason why i hate people who hate macs its because the are ignorant and they speak out there *bottom*. They all have had no real practice on macs and grow with propaganda about how Macs are so bad and dont work and freeze up and turn off at random times in reality they do not what so ever. If they did would 90% of designers use them? Would Adobe make Photoshop and Illustrator and programs like that, FIRST for the mac?

Neither of them! :P Why choosing between 2 expensive OS when you have all these Linux distros out there and each of them is in times more powerfull than any of these 2. But since there is no place for Linux in this topic I guess it all depends on what you are going to do on your computer. If you are going for game station then go for Win, but if you are going to do some serious multimedia development or something like it...the Mac is what you need. Linux can do both...but its faith is being always the next step, while those 2....lets call them stepping stones in computer experience :(

I have to say one thing about Macs because people always bring this up and it sort of makes me mad because i never bought a mac because of this. People always say 5% of people have them and that is it. Well lets say 1% have them. Does that make it a bad thing? No. I want to compare it to a car. Think about this. How many people have a Ford or Chevy compared to a Ferrai? I can tell you right now its not even close. I can also tell you a Ferrai is a hell of a lot better them so ford car or truck. Percentages don't matter it's about performance.

My Mac at school (i have a laptop and a personal desktop mac at school) froze today. The first time all year. About 5 months. Every USB device i have ever plugged in has had no problems. I can list tons on my PC.

PC

1. The mouse sometimes gets choppy

2. My external HD somtimes freezes the entire computer and doesnt read at all

3. I can't get my printer to work at all with the software even.

On my mac:

1. Never, ever had a problem

2. Takes a little while to start up compared to my PC, thats when it even does, but it always works

3. I didnt even need to install the software included and it worked. Not only that i have plugged it in to more then one printer and never needed the software.

Those are only three. Also if you think its a problem with my computer. I have a 2 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, 100GB, DUO processor AND is brand new laptop. Bought in July of last year.

Kidding? Apple.com has thousands and thousands of freeware. Thats on THERE site even. Microsoft doesnt have thousands of freeware from third parties. By the way i'm only talking about Apple.com

Ok that is for sure a joke. Calling restart after every installation, whole uninstaller to delete a program that doesnt even work every time, freezes, plug and play isnt really plug and play, blue screen of death, ctrl+alt+dlt over and over again to turn one non-responsive program off, or how about amazingly fast search feature that works like *BLEEP* (by the way that was sarcastic) Macs MAYBE a hastle to someone who doesnt know how to use them or to Gamers.

If it were actually Safari why not try, Camino, IE 5, Firefox, Opera, or just any other browser if you really were trying. And just to let you know, I just tried changing an extension to see if what you said was true, and it isn't. I just changed .jpgs to .pngs and a .mov to a .wmv and both of those said "Unable to read tha data" But when i switched them back they worked fine. Plus, each time i went to change the extension it gave me a warning that you changing the extension and could make the file unreadable.

I'm a little hostile of people saying Macs are bad because i have used Windows, Macs, and Linuxs and i love Macs the best. That is not the main reason why i hate people who hate macs its because the are ignorant and they speak out there *bottom*. They all have had no real practice on macs and grow with propaganda about how Macs are so bad and dont work and freeze up and turn off at random times in reality they do not what so ever. If they did would 90% of designers use them? Would Adobe make Photoshop and Illustrator and programs like that, FIRST for the mac?

I'm going to start calling you "The Great Mac Defender"! If you think your mac starts slow, I think it may already be time for you to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo 2.33. My Mac is a 17 MacBook Pro running said processor with 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HD and all that. I've got a few complaints, but it's really nothing major. Oh, btw, I've got a Dell on my desk running XP too. I mostly use it to look at Streets and Trips and test my web site on its browsers. Anyway, you do have to restart the Mac every once in a while due to major software upgrades and installs. That being said, it doesn't seem like it's required nearly as often as the windows machine. Other than the extremely cool and friendly package, and I mean everything from the keyboard to the widgets, the biggest reason to love Macs is they're just not vulnerable to viruses and all that crap. And did I mention this laptop is FAST? It's wicked fast. Boots up in a matter of seconds, wakes up in a matter of tenths of a second... This machine is da bomb. Period. :P

I think it may already be time for you to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo 2.33

Actually i have a duo 2.33. Thanks for the offer though :P

And thanks for the name!

I know mine wakes up before i even open lid all the way! It's awesome.

I would say Windows becuase of what I am doing on the computer. And the fact that more programs are Windows only and don't work on a mac. Mac's or good but for a different type of user.

mac is by far the most superior to all os' out there. end of discussion. the features and support are unbeatable. and as for what tripleh13 said, you can get any program on windows to work with mac, its a little thing called bootcamp.What people dont get is that the only reason more people use windows is because OS X is for macs only, windows has deals with a billion companies (and i bet those companies would get out of those deals in an instant and sign with mac) for software and hardware and making the computer. because of all of their deals, windows was able to become successful. it was a cheap out of the box thing...Hwever, when building your own computer, windows is completely rediculous. for being able to buy the os, i am not going to pay $500 just to use a computer. so i would recommend linux there. although the downside to mac is the OS X is for macs only, it is still by far greater than both os'.For a week i was having a huge problem with my pc, so i had to rely on my make, and boy did it come through for me. the only reason i do not use my mac all the time is that i am not paying for all the software again, and i dont want to transfer it and maybe get a corrupt file on there. i would rather screw up my cheap pc than my expensive, nice, good looking mac.Price. its not even close to a debate, if your cheap and can get by with windows, then do it, i really dont care if you do. mac is more expensive, but offers better everything. my experience with mac is unhithered.And because of all of that, i offically choose mac as my offical os.

I prefer Windows because the software that i use runs much more smoothly on a windows OS, also the amount of software compatible with a MAC is not nearly as much as Windows. Windows for me seems to be able to do everything i need it for from media to business.

I definatly love windows. Windows is just so much easier to use in my opinion. Sure its run by bill gates (who I really don't like) but still, it is really good. Mac, just doesn't seem as orginized as windows. Mac could have probably gotten a lot of attention if they kept itunes to themselves, and only made it so it works on only mac. That would get them good business. Either way though, it all depends on what your growing up using.I grew up using Windows, and I just like it. My friend grew up using mac, and he always complains its better. So its all opinion really.

I definatly love windows. Windows is just so much easier to use in my opinion. Sure its run by bill gates (who I really don't like) but still, it is really good. Mac, just doesn't seem as orginized as windows.
Mac could have probably gotten a lot of attention if they kept itunes to themselves, and only made it so it works on only mac. That would get them good business. Either way though, it all depends on what your growing up using.

I grew up using Windows, and I just like it. My friend grew up using mac, and he always complains its better. So its all opinion really.

Haha your funny nate.. Windows.. more orginized.. Windows.. better.. you should become a comedian instead of working for jagex :)

Mac.... lets start it with this, Macs are way better at windows in mostly everthing possible, speed, orginization, graphics, cows.. cats.. everthing..

I have to say, I like windows more.. as many of you might find hard to beleive, it is just because i cannot afford a good mac, windows are good for their price, and so are macs, but they are too high priced macs, and some of them you could get the same out of windows.. Oh wait.. This is operating system.. taht is why it was Windows.. Lol.. oops..

Well I have never used a Mac. but ihave heard a lot, people say that it is very usefull and have many components that are very helpful..

I think Windows is more dumb people freindly, no o0ffense to anybody, but it is easier to learn.