xisto Community
darran

Macintosh Or Windows Which will you choose?

I am surprised this discussion has not been initiated in this forum. This is one of the most hottest topic in the IT world and it has been going on for several years with no conclusion to it because it changes from time to time.

Out of all the operating systems in the market today, the 2 most popular ones are Windows and Macintosh among other operating systems such as Linux. Windows has proven on the market share to be the most popular operating systems purchased by consumers today. And the majority of us use Windows as compared to the lesser audience who purchase Mac.

I am sure we have all experienced the screw ups while using Windows. Be it performance, bugs or even compatibility. There is not only 1 rare occurence of those problems but multiple frequent ones. We want a system which doesn't have so many screw ups like Windows. Now here's the consideration of Mac. Putting the 2 side by side will not distinguish which operating system is better or lousier. However the way to tell which is better between Mac or Windows is through implementation. Mac implements their stuff better on the system than Windows and this is the hugely obvious factor which puts Mac in a better position than Windows in terms of functionality.

Design wise, Apple are well known to design one of the best custom GUI (Graphical User Interface), even their hardware is designed with a sleek and stylish theme. Their mouse especially is unique and completely different from the regular mouse you see sold in the IT retailers. That aside, within a Mac OS itself, the designs of the dock (Another feature of Macintosh OS), animation, icons and overall look and feel, they are pure creativity. Even the latest Windows Vista IMO does not match to Mac's design. I am a design oriented person, if something which is being promoted is packaged well, that would already half-convinced something about the product. Of course everything should not be based on design alone but also on the substance of the product.

So if Mac is so good, why have so many potential users been scared away from it? Making Windows STILL the dominant OS system consumers look to?

Lack of compatible software

One of the biggest worries of potential users is that there are not many compatible software available for Mac, another indication that we are over-reliant on Windows. Many games are not available in Mac but are so in Windows. However this thread is gradually changing, many game developers are making their games compatible in Windows as well as in Mac. To solve this problem, Apple has invented something called 'Boot Camp' which will be elaborated with more detail at the bottom.

Mac price

Potential buyers have been totally scared away from the idea of purchasing a Mac because it used to be so expensive. However now there is a micro mac which is considerably cheaper than IMac or an IBook. I was looking around in a Mac retailer the other day, and I came across a Mac desktop at SGD 2185, which is equivalent to USD 1000+.

A completely new system

An issue windows users have with regards to switching over to Mac is to know how to use a Mac. It would be no different from learning how to use a new type of computer. The way Mac works is considerably different than Windows but most of the standard functions are of the same. However this would be a huge problem to non-IT savvy users.

In April 2006, Apple came out with a software called 'Boot Camp'. So what does it do? It basically partitions another drive which can be used to emulate a Windows OS. So you can boot up and use either Macintosh or Windows. A 2-in-1 package. This is a very smart market plan because they are not only promoting their brand but also grabbing Windows consumers. They have pounced on Windows' constant liabilities and provide a much better solution to its users.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/04/05Apple-Introduces-Boot-Camp.html

So what is stopping you? If you are looking for a computer to purchase, do not hesitate and consider a Mac!

I will definitely buy a Mac in a few years time when my current desktop is unable to keep up with the current standards of today's computing requirements.

i actually feel like shifting to mac after i get my first salary when i get a job :) i promised myself that i would buy a mac and probably stay there. most of my professors in school use mac and i really find it interesting. i've seen them use the laptops while teaching and i've seen how fast a mac runs, compared to windows... my thesis professor is a mac addict (or so i think) because he you could see him carrying mac products anywhere he goes.the primary reason i wanted to shift to mac is because i'm tired of using windows. aside from the fact that i usually get virus attacks frequently, i really find windows loading slower and gets slower as time passes by. i've read from a blog somewhere over the internet that a typical windows os degrades every 6 or so months before you could reinstall it again. in my case, that's the longest. i usually have to reinstall windows like three or four months. what a pain if you ask me.second is that since i've seen how mac works, i'm quite impressed with what it has to offer. the virtual os is one of the coolest (in relation to mac being fast). i mean imagine installing a windows as a virtual os and not have the hassles of a slow loading time? what could be better than that?true, mac may be pricey, but what the heck right? if you have the money, why not spend it to something that offer better service and could last a long time than something that is cheap but really unreliable.

The reason most people use windows is because it is very easy to use and everyone has been using it for a while. Macs, on the other hand, are becoming easier to loose but still are an Unix OS. If you have a mac, you will have to use the console quite often to do tasks unlike windows. Dont get me wrong, i am not saying windows is better. I currently am one 1 of my 3 computers of which i have windows on this one, linux on my laptop that i take to class, and Mac OSX_86 on my other desktop. I use all 3 so i am proficient in them and i love my Linux OS but for a novice it can be hard to pick up.

I personally would go with the basis for the mac os. which is linux. while it has a history of being difficult to use and lack of support for windows and mac programs, it has become very user friendly. I use suse linux enterprise desktop 10 on both my desktop an imac and my gateway latptop. it works wonderfully and without any learning curve whatsoever. it can be setup easily to look and behave like windows or mac. the support for windows and mac progams are slow in coming but are getting much better and in a few years linux most likely will be able to emulate windows and macintosh perfectly as far as programs are concerned. The technical side of linux is easily taken care of in suse by very easy to use administration tools located easily on the program bar.

Edited by gaurdro (see edit history)

Im happy using both, i feel at home using both. My Dad is a total Mac man, he got the G5 Rev2 when it came out, he feels sorta cheated now that the intel chips have come out.I myself use a Windows, its pretty good, the viruses get annoying but the number of different programs is great and someone always knows how to fix it if its broken.Both are good, Linux isnt lol.

Hmm which is better? i wish i could take a picture and show you what i am doing. I am installing Ubuntu (Linux) on my Mac for dual booting, and writing this post on my Windows XP (with Vista GUI). Here is what i would personally take from all the OS.Mac:The GUI.The iLife and other preinstalled programs. These are not like AOL and crap like that by the way.The look of them on the outside.Built in cameras, audio, and AirPort (wireless internet) in every new MacEasy to install Windows XP (or other OS)Never need to defragmentgreat utilities (Windows users, this would be Accessories on the All Programs) No viruses, no spyware, no crashes.Spot light, instantly find files.Windows:The compatibility between games and softwarekeyboard layout (default. Yes, you could by another USB keyboard for a Mac.)Not really anything else. Sorry, Windows lovers. I mean they main reason is the large selection of games and programs/applications for themLinux:open sourcefreefree programsthe Workspaces feature on most LinuxsAbility to completely customizeRemember i have used Windows up until this year. I was using a Windows system for 10+ years. Then i had to get a Mac for Graphic Design which i am majoring in fell in love with them. I have found a lot of applications to make it a hybrid of windows and linux. Also if i missed some Linux stuff please dont get mad haha. I have been using that only for a few months.

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

The reason most people use windows is because it is very easy to use and everyone has been using it for a while. Macs, on the other hand, are becoming easier to loose but still are an Unix OS. If you have a mac, you will have to use the console quite often to do tasks unlike windows. Dont get me wrong, i am not saying windows is better. I currently am one 1 of my 3 computers of which i have windows on this one, linux on my laptop that i take to class, and Mac OSX_86 on my other desktop. I use all 3 so i am proficient in them and i love my Linux OS but for a novice it can be hard to pick up.

I don't know what you're talking about with the Mac. I've never used the console. It's there if you're some kind of geek who gets thrills from opening the hood and digging in to the guts. If you don't know Unix, there's no reason in normal operation to open the console. There are some tweeks you can do, but usually they're outlined in the industry pubs like Mac Addict or Macworld and it's simple step-by-step instruction. I say, go Mac and never look back!
MC: Windows for Mac isn't "virtual" anymore. Mac is running on Intel chips now so it's able to run Windoz like any other PC as an alternative boot. You download the free app from Apple called Bootcamp to do this. Alternatively, I think if you use "Parrellels" you can run Windoz in its own window while still running OSX at the same time. That, I suppose, could be considered "virtual". Anyway, I love my new Mac; it's stable, fast, and a joy to use and I never have to worry about spyware or viruses. It cost quite a bit, but I think there's good value there too with all the software it comes with. Let's just hope they stay small so the virus makers don't start looking our way... ;)

Although i dont like windows because GUI is poor i ll stick to them. I was raised on windows and i ll probably die with windows. I know that mac has better gui than windows but like you have said this is new os for you, price is high and you wont get all the programs working on mac. i know that price of the mac is very high in UK but i can tell you that price is for about 40% higher in my country. and i dont have money to buy it like the most of people in my country. sad but true! i ll maybe try linux besides windows but i am sure that i wont be working on it for a very long time. i need all of my software running on my pc and my family isnt that good in windows so i guess they ll hate me if i change os!

I personally would go with the basis for the mac os. which is linux. while it has a history of being difficult to use and lack of support for windows and mac programs, it has become very user friendly. I use suse linux enterprise desktop 10 on both my desktop an imac and my gateway latptop. it works wonderfully and without any learning curve whatsoever. it can be setup easily to look and behave like windows or mac. the support for windows and mac progams are slow in coming but are getting much better and in a few years linux most likely will be able to emulate windows and macintosh perfectly as far as programs are concerned.
The technical side of linux is easily taken care of in suse by very easy to use administration tools located easily on the program bar.

Wrong. The Core of MacOS X is BSD, which is UNIX not "unix-like". Technically it's freeBSD with Mach Kernel. Here is why I switched about four years ago:

My PC tower didn't work right. The motherboard hated the soundcard which hated the 3D drivers which hated windows and I was sick of it. I was doing a fair bit with linux based webservers and FreeBSD servers. It was okay, but my printer lacked drivers, so did my scanner, so Linux on the desktop still wasn't the best option for me.

About that time I wanted a laptop and was getting ready to leave out of the country for 3 months and finally wanted something that worked. So I got an iBook. Finally I had a single platform from which I could use Microsoft Office, Photoshop, plus do all my Unix work I needed to with MYSQL et. al., and ran handy mac only software like final cut.

Since then I've transitioned into video production which is dominated by tools like Final Cut Studio. I know of more and more people who are buying Apple laptops over everyone else. Desktops are still dominated by PC, but this past year I bought my dad an iMac to replace his old Windows 98 box that had crapped out finally.

I wasn't totally sold on the switch to Intel, but now with the software I need out in Universal, it's a good move. Especially since the rendering engine in programs like Lightwave are tuned for x86.

Now my Dad could run XP if he wanted via bootcamp, but why?

Yes Apple is a few dollars more, but it's also a far more flexiable platform at this time. The main reason why Linux has stayed in the server room is Apple. Most people like me switched from Linux to Mac early on because we saw the flexiablity and abilty to have a system "That just works". Those firmly in the Linux camp get off by having to configure everything and think that's cool. I used too as well, but then I got into the real world and discovered how valubale time was. I want a computer that just works with a minium of fuss. Macs do that.

I think people are starting to trend back towards Mac now with the iPod and iTunes. This new Apple TV device will probably help as well.

Macs are better period. I never thought they were. My dad always said Macs suck since i was a little kid. Now that I am older and i tried out a Mac it's been amazing.

They hardly ever freeze. I think i have had mine for about a year and it has frozen up like 2-3 times.

Applications are simply copied into the Applications folder and to delete you just throw that folder in the trash. No uninstall then finding out you can't for some dumb error.

There is almost no errors except no responding applications once in awhile and that is almost always due to not enough RAM. I sometimes have BBedit, Fetch, Firefox, safari, opera, netscape, fireworks or photoshop, textedit and more all open at one time and there is fewer crashes then when i have 3-4 programs on my PC.

Comes with great applications such as iMovie and even little apps like Dictionary which are so basic yet Windows doesnt even have that except for in Word.

Looks great on the outside and in the GUI.

Never EVER had a virus, spyware, or anything like that problem and i have Limewire!

I must say that i hate microsoft and all that trash !!! Apple mashines is more reliable but it much cost ok

My PC tower didn't work right. The motherboard hated the soundcard which hated the 3D drivers which hated windows and I was sick of it.

haha its right !

I used to use a Mac myself - my dad used to have one of the first "fat" Macs (512K RAM?) back in 1984 and a Power Mac in 1994. For some reason, though, I've been using Windows for the next 10 or so years. Now I'm considering switching back to Mac; they've certainly come a long way since the early days. Trouble is, the price is a bit too high...perhaps if I make monthly payments....

For me its windows. Its easier for me to use, even though I like Macs too. But I just hate how you kind of have to update a lot for vista if you don't have that great of computer. Thats why im just going to wait until the new computers come with vista or might just get a custom made computer off the internet with a free home premium upgrade for vista or something. But its 50.50 for me.