xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie Rotten

How Do You Combine Removable Drives In To One Big Drive?

Now this is very interesting and confusing at the same time.I have been told that it is something that is good useful and can be done.To combine all the removable drives you might have and put them all in to your main Hard Drive so then you have a bigger memory.The reason I am asking how to do this is because I always seem to have problems wioth my PC as it seems to run brilliant for a couple of weeks and then it goes slow like a snail but I've never been able to find out why?Would combinign all of my removable drives with my main Hard Drive make my PC run a lot quicker???

What your talking about is Hard Drive Partition in which you seperate your hard drive to allocate certain space for programs and what not.The reason your computer is slow because of many reasons.SpywareAdwareTo many programs runningNot enough Hard drive spaceNot enough RAM

I think the most obvious reason why our computers run slow are not because of our disk space or RAM because when we buy this computer, this is the space and RAM we accepted and we did not have any issues with it. But after a while, everything started to fall apart and I can only bring it down to spywares and adware. While surfing the internet, you do not know which site actually installs spyware or adware onto your computer and it is really freaky. You could just be surfing a site which has the information you need on something, and bam! You are with a spyware. I recommend you to use adware, spyware removal programs. As for combining removable drives into 1 big drives, I find it impossible to achieve. You need to connect many external devices and it is beyond me how you would merge them into 1 big drive. But if you do manage to do it, please let me know.

You can buy an external enclosure which support RAID. RAID is the ability to have one drive "mirror" or "copy" another drive or merge the drives into one large drive. The interface for the drives inside the enclosure can be IDE or SATA. The interface to hook the box to your computer can be USB or Firewire. Most of these boxes are not cheap. Also, when you use merge the drives into one, if you lose one drive, you lose all of your data as files are written "across" the drives as if it was one drive. I agree with the earlier poster...your computer slow down is due to spyware or adware or something you "caught" from the internet. Always have a virus scanner. 2 or 3 different spyware programs. Chkdsk your drives and defragment on a regular basis. Empty your temp folders. Also, clean out that startup tray. Many of the programs that are set to launch at start up do not need to be in resident memory. So what if it takes a second more for it to load, at least it is not taking up valuable resources.Good luck.

Now this is very interesting and confusing at the same time.I have been told that it is something that is good useful and can be done.
To combine all the removable drives you might have and put them all in to your main Hard Drive so then you have a bigger memory.
The reason I am asking how to do this is because I always seem to have problems wioth my PC as it seems to run brilliant for a couple of weeks and then it goes slow like a snail but I've never been able to find out why?

Would combinign all of my removable drives with my main Hard Drive make my PC run a lot quicker???

You can use Logical Volume Management (LVM) aside from Redundant Array of Independent Disks configuration 0 (RAID0). I actually think that using RAID 0+1 gives better throughput and reliability...

The short answer to your last question is NO. Hard disk space is totally not connected to the performance of a PC. The speed, cache size, and many other factors are.

You can use Logical Volume Management (LVM) aside from Redundant Array of Independent Disks configuration 0 (RAID0). I actually think that using RAID 0+1 gives better throughput and reliability...
The short answer to your last question is NO. Hard disk space is totally not connected to the performance of a PC. The speed, cache size, and many other factors are.

The only thing you have to watch for , is that there is enough space left for the swapfile.
Because of the swap file can't grow if it needs to you may have some virual memory problems.
Otherwise a framented disk can also slow down the system (if the swap file is in use !).

Have you been running a disk defragmenter regularly? I know some people who only run what has been automatically scheduled to run. If disk defrag is not one of these, they run their computer for a couple of months then wonder why it is starting to slow down. I am not sure how good the windows XP disk defrag is but ever since I ran windows ME I have been hooked on diskepper lite, it is easy and free and quick.