xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Webber

Meditation - How Does It Work? Key to Meditation and Spirituality

Hey there, well, this is something that is often overlooked as being something that doesn't work. Similiar to the martial arts, unless you've tried it you tend to be sceptical, and you can not describe how it feels unless you have actually taken part in it. Well, over the past year I have been incredibly stressed ,and the past 7/10 weeks have been the worse. My parents have seperated in a really nasty divorce, my final exam year has just started at school, I have personal relationship issues and desires (I'm 15 by the way),I have a job that is very time consuming and I train in 6 martial arts, so I have had very little time to my self, and over the last couple of weeks it's really overwelmed me. I was getting to the end of my tether.. I was starting to become aggressive and started loosing it over very petty things, so this morning, before school (something I find incredibly dull, physically taiming and frustrating, I don't get on with many of my teachers, It isn't the nicest of schools, the sort of place you have to look after yourself, because the staff will not help out, and I haven't done aswell as I hoped in my previous years exams), so I decided to meditate before school. I used a 20 minute meditation technique I had picked up about a year and a half earlier. I found when I used it orginally it didn't really work, but perhaps I didn't really need it then? All I know is that the process does all the usual steps, the relaxation and the deep sensation, and the healing etc, and I really felt as if I went deeper than ever, and after it had finished, when I opened my eyes, I felt nearly paraylised in the bliss sensation of being totally relaxed, it was so beauitful, and all day I have been so gentle, patient and calm. Nothing has overwelmed me, annoyed me to a great exstent, made me act immature, made me 'fly off the feeling' and so on. In short - it worked perfectly. I can't describe the process of meditation, the perfect relaxtion you feel as you hit your centre.. I can't describe it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what happens, either physically, mentally or spirtually. Has anyone else ever had this sort of experience, or does anybody else meditate regulary? Thanks, Sean.

Ive meditated before but usually im not really that desperate to meditate so i dont go very deep but i get the physical benefits most of the time like being very relaxed and calm but a few times before ive gone deeper and seen things from my friends house like the colours in her room and kitchen and such, i dont know if it was coincidence or remote veiwing but either way it was kool :) I think spiritually if you can get deep enough you can do a lot of things like remote veiwing, clairvoyance (talking to spirits) even telekenisis, i dont mean making things fly but small things like making a sheet of paper move or something like that, but youd have to be very good to do that methinks :P emotionally i think it just gives your head a chance to finally sort out all the things its been hanging on, during the day with a busy mind you just cant deal with your emotions theres no time! so during meditation i think it gives your mind a chance to sort this out which is part of the reasonm why we feel so relaxed. And physically i think the fact of staying still for a little while and getting a better than normal circulation and breathing, therefore oxygen greatly boosts your body and helps you think clearer and such like. but no matter what it does meditation is a great thing when you feel stressed, or even if theres nothing on TV and youre laying in bed, although in bed isnt the best place to meditate ('cos you fall asleep!) it lets time pass unnoticed so you can meditate for an hour and think its been 10 or 20 minutes. It also helps me sleep better :P

I meditate on regular basis, I think its just the conscious mind shutting up for a bit, letting the subconscious also relax (sleeping doesn't count, becasue sleeping is like maintenance on your brain), thus resulting in calm, relaxed feeling for a period of time depending on how long you were in this state.

shadowx, I think you might find this link extremely interesting.

Also, an interesting fact..Meditation makes your brain bigger. I think the part which it makes grow is .. the cerebral cortex? As the same happens to musicians, etc. It's not a bad thing, I just thought it'd be an interesting fact to share on the topic of meditation :] I read this on a website, though I'm not sure if I can still retrace it.

Meditation is not something that can be measured or presented with numbers. Nobody achieved enlightenment through meditation alone and for sure the amount of meditation is not important. Maybe relaxation and meditation are mixed too often!Just be your real self all the time and see things as they are...maybe that is meditation?

Nobody achieved enlightenment through meditation alone

Can you produce any proof to prove this or is your own belief.

By meditation one can give brain a rest and can charge up for doing other work. By doing meditation one can work for more hours a day without taking rest, just do meditation for few hours, don't sleep and go on rest of the day.

pardon me for writing this comment :P

Meditation is not something that can be measured or presented with numbers. Nobody achieved enlightenment through meditation alone and for sure the amount of meditation is not important.

I guess different men really said it at different act, well sometimes.. someone sometimes don't need "anything" to find "their" own enlightment :P

Can you produce any proof to prove this or is your own belief.
By meditation one can give brain a rest and can charge up for doing other work. By doing meditation one can work for more hours a day without taking rest, just do meditation for few hours, don't sleep and go on rest of the day.

he's already proof it by his own belief, and maybe you won't believe what he believe

you find your believe wich well said that by meditating you are resting your brain :P , I guess that's what we said believe.. we believe in something and what someone else believes aren't has to be as our believe. :D

:D

I take joy in meditation. Its my work which entangles me in different corners curbing any chances for mediating peacefully. When I do it, It gets highest priority. As *Webber* said, I don't believe in time specific meditating sessions. When I lie down for meditating, I switch off my cell phone, my PC and almost every other thing that can disturb me.

Process that I follow :-

I switch off the lights. Make sure that the place is not bright that you start seeing colors after you close your eyes.

I lie down and align myself w/ my feet pointing to north and head towards south.

I align myself in an erect position to make sure my body is perfectly straight. (This step is necessary for few who might feel that their body is slipping away after some time).

For begineers, Start with your toes and instruct every part to relax. Break your mental connection with that part. Say in your mind that you have any connection whatsoever with that part. Feel the part being left out on its own. And proceed upwards slowly part by part.

After every part of me is totally relaxed, I simply concentrate at the center of my eyes (3 inches away from them).

This is a time when your body is totally down and mind is fully charged.

Here, I try to keep my mind free of thoughts, pictures, ideas, desires etx. Basically, I try to keep my mind blank. Even if thoughts do come, I just clear them and continue this process.

The Key to Meditation is "DON'T THINK". Our basic problem is we think to much all the time.. non-stop.

Depending on your experience and your skills in keeping the mind free, you will reach different states.

Its after this state, you can sense the presence of something which is pervading the boundaries of your body and giving it life. You can sense the feeling of control. You can sense the answer to the Question "Who am I?". :-)

I take joy in meditation. Its my work which entangles me in different corners curbing any chances for mediating peacefully. When I do it, It gets highest priority. As *Webber* said, I don't believe in time specific meditating sessions. When I lie down for meditating, I switch off my cell phone, my PC and almost every other thing that can disturb me.

well OpaQue.. thats why I join Xisto.. :P I guess you do meditation when you feel like to do it :D

and I agree, quiet environement will help our mind undistracted.

IMHO meditation purpose are to achieve self awareness, so.. quiet and dark environement will help you to feel "yourself"

-namaste-

I used to meditate a lot, but real patience didn't come to me until I grew exceedingly powerful in the course of my martial arts studies. Once I achieved great personal power I found that even someone yelling in my face didn't faze me.So while meditation is a wonderful path to mental and spiritual growth, it's not the only path, indeed.These days if someone yells in my face I smile and tell them that they're only stressing themselves out, and I say it so calmly and reasonably that it 'brings them to their senses' in no time at all. Heck, even if someone attacks me (so long as he doesn't draw a weapon) I respond as gently as I possibly can.You know the saying 'With great power comes great responsibility..' well, I also think that sometimes, if your training is just right, with great power comes great patience, great kindness and understanding, and ultimate personal control.

i love to mediate, i do it constantly. I always make sure that i just let my thoughts flow, and that i don't try to manipulate them. I just let it flow....it's quite interesting to whatch your thoughts from a removed viewpoint, it's almost like i am another person, just listening to their thoughts. i do sit down to mediatate quite often, and it's v beneficial. it puts you in touch with yourself, and makes you focus on your thoughts. That's where your focus should be 100% of the time, anyway.

I used to meditate a lot, but real patience didn't come to me until I grew exceedingly powerful in the course of my martial arts studies. Once I achieved great personal power I found that even someone yelling in my face didn't faze me.
So while meditation is a wonderful path to mental and spiritual growth, it's not the only path, indeed.
These days if someone yells in my face I smile and tell them that they're only stressing themselves out, and I say it so calmly and reasonably that it 'brings them to their senses' in no time at all. Heck, even if someone attacks me (so long as he doesn't draw a weapon) I respond as gently as I possibly can.

You know the saying 'With great power comes great responsibility..' well, I also think that sometimes, if your training is just right, with great power comes great patience, great kindness and understanding, and ultimate personal control.

Nicely put. I do agree with you, but i have more trouble honestly with someone yelling in my face, or attacking me. i sometimes loose it, but i feel more sad, actually, that we all can't just live in peace. I have this mechanism that allows me to respond with cold, chilling indifference to someone who might come at me. i will just respond, sometimes brutally, without feeling any remorse whatsoever to someone who offends me. then i just go on with my life. i just don't play games like, you know?

Nicely put. I do agree with you, but i have more trouble honestly with someone yelling in my face, or attacking me. i sometimes loose it, but i feel more sad, actually, that we all can't just live in peace. I have this mechanism that allows me to respond with cold, chilling indifference to someone who might come at me. i will just respond, sometimes brutally, without feeling any remorse whatsoever to someone who offends me. then i just go on with my life. i just don't play games like, you know?

I agree completely. It's a pity that people can't live in peace. Basically, I feel that most of us have some mechanism or the other to deal with hostility, mechanisms that we've developed based on what works for us. And I think it's all right to respond to aggression in kind sometimes. There's no general rule, I think - each situation has a different 'optimal' response.

Generally what I do is look at the threat value of the person - a person yelling in your face is different from someone threatening you with his fist, for example; and then I respond accordingly.

Now, speaking of meditation, generally I find that meditation helps one to step back and look at a situation 'in perspective'. For those unused to meditating, I'd say try some simple, easy meditations before going on to more complex kinds. Meditation is a lot like exercise, you can't build up your ability to focus in a day - it takes time, patience and practice.

Hi,During meditation your mind is not unconscious it's superconscious. In this respect it's totally different from sleep. Benefits of meditation are great and fast. I did do meditation daily when I was unmarried for one year, after I got married didn't get time to do so though I'm planning to start it again. Meditation helps balancing one's mind. Yoga balances the body. From ancient times in India Gurus advised to do both Yoga and meditation to balance both mind and body. Once you start Yoga your meditation experiences will strengthen and you will find more correlation with nature.Bliss..Dinesh