xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
husker

The Riddle

For school I have to pick a song and write what I think it means. I really like the song "The Riddle" by Five for Fighting, and I think I know what it's saying, but I wanted some other people's views too. Here's the lyrics:There was a man back in '95Whose heart ran out of summers But before he died, I asked him Wait, what's the sense in lifeCome over me, Come over me He said, "Son why you got to sing that tune Catch a Dylan song or some eclipse of the moonLet an angel swing and make you swoonThen you will see... You will see."Then he said, (Chorus)"Here's a riddle for youFind the AnswerThere's a reason for the worldYou and I..."Picked up my kid from school today Did you learn anything cause in the world todayYou can't live in a castle far awayNow talk to me, come talk to meHe said, "Dad I'm big but we're smaller than smallIn the scheme of things, well we're nothing at allStill every mother's child sings a lonely songSo play with me, come play with me"And Hey Dad(Repeat Chorus)I said, "Son for all I've told youWhen you get right down to theReason for the world...Who am I?"There are secrets that we still have left to findThere have been mysteries from the beginning of timeThere are answers we're not wise enough to see He said... You looking for a clue I Love You free... The batter swings and the summer fliesAs I look into my angel's eyesA song plays on while the moon is hiding over meSomething comes over me I guess we're big and I guess we're smallIf you think about it man you know we got it allCause we're all we got on this bouncing ballAnd I love you freeI love you freely (Repeat Chorus)NOTE: Will a moderator or admin move this to the song lyrics section. Sorry, I didn't see it when I posted.

Edited by husker (see edit history)

there is a somewhat Existentialist cloud hanging over these lyrics.The gist of the message would be that we had best enjoy what we are presently doing because in the BIG picture, each of us are but a very small component of the world. Father should play with son and enjoy that time now, because the world is moving and will pass this opportunity by.

Wow didn't really think of it that way. Thanks a lot! I thought more like this. We are practically nothing in the World. Even though we are nothing, we still need each other and we are all important. They are somewhat similiar.

We should live life to the fullest, broadly put. We should enjoy the little things in life, because once we die, we obviously can't do that anymore. We should spend time with the people we love. And we're really all insignificant - little people in a big world.

there is a somewhat Existentialist cloud hanging over these lyrics.The gist of the message would be that we had best enjoy what we are presently doing because in the BIG picture, each of us are but a very small component of the world. Father should play with son and enjoy that time now, because the world is moving and will pass this opportunity by.

That's exactly how I see it! My interrpretation is just that. I love this song and the point of it.