xisto Community
kafka11

Which Brand Is Best Gaming Computer? title says it

recently i have been saveing for a new computer but all my friends say that diff computers are better like 1. dell2. alien ware3. voodoo 4. hp i dont know what is the best one i know the dell would be the cheapest but is it the best for its price and i know voodoo is teh most exspencive but are there computers worth the price will people please help me?

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

it's really depends on which model of a dell or alien ware you're getting. There are ones that are built for playing games. For example, a computer with like 250mb graphic card etc. Dell XPS is meant for gaming. What make a computer good for gaming is the PROCESSOR, GRAPHIC CARD, RAM, and some other hardware like motherboard. And of course you might need a BIG hard drive.. maybe 300gb to install all the games on your system without running out of space to do other things. Game these days are gigabytes size.

It hardly matters what brand of computer you buy. If you get a >2Ghz processor, a high end ATI card, 2GB of RAM and a fast SATA II hard drive (or ideally 3-4 fast SATA Drives in a RAID0 array) and put it in a shoe box with a power supply, you will blow the doors off of most "Brand name" computers. The brands buy components in bulk and often these are not the top of the line in any given category.Alienware tends to have higher end/performance spec'd units but they are 20-50% more expensive than they should be.IMHO

Do a google search for "build your own computer" and you will get tons of hits. Hit other sites like TomsHardware and AnandTech for some good hardware reviews. You want a good combo of a Processor, Motherboard, Ram, Video Card and hard drive. It is not just the amount but the brand/quality of the Motherboard, Ram and Video card. Also check for compatibility between which motherboard you purchase and the ram you buy. It can make a hugh difference in performance.Do not overlook a good monitor and sound system (sound card and 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speakers).Good luck!

I would have to say the best computer for gaming is a custom built one. I know that there are a lot of gaming PC's out there but they are pretty expensive in my opinion. But I guess if I had to pick Alienware. But I still stand saying that customs are the best XD

Definately build your own computer dude. Youll get exactly what you want and for much cheaper than the pre packaged stuff. If you want a modern day gaming machine i suggest.3GHz + Processor or 2.8GHz+ Dual core1-2gb of good RAM, Cosair preferably.A decent video card with 128-256mb of video RAM.160gb + SATA Hard drive.Also make sure you get the right motherboard! Theres no use buying all the parts and finding your motherboard only supports Socket 754s when you have a socket AM2!Look under the hardware forum, i know there is oen really good guide on putting together your own computer and i had a topic discussing specs.

thank you all for the help dose anyone know where i could get stuff to make my own or instructions how if so please post a link or just tell me but thank you again

Find a reliable retailer, I like Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/). You will need to buy:

A GROUNDING STRAP (no, I am not kidding... why risk killing your $400 dollar video card because you wore the wrong sweater?)

A case (with a 300w or larger power supply)
A Floppy Drive (or get a USB one)
A motherboard
RAM compatible with the above
A hard drive
A video card
A DVD burner (They are 30 bucks... why wouldn't you?)

It is harder to put legos together than a computer. Really. The only real challenge is screwing the motherboard into the case, but a quick examination of where the holes for the screws are and the standoffs on the case are and it should be pretty obvious. The second challenge is plugging the power supply into the motherboard. It used to be possible to put them on motherboards incorrectly and fry them... now the power leads are keyed so there is only one way to do it. Hard drives are installed board down (though I doubt it matters much anymore)

Go slow, don't force anything, use a grounding strap (to dissipate static) and it is easy. You can put together a computer in 45 minutes and save yourself a couple of hundred bucks.

well thank you again for all the help i just need a few more (hundred) dollers till i can buy or make my own but if some one will send me the links to the best stuff for a comp it would be most apreasheated

well thank you again for all the help i just need a few more (hundred) dollers till i can buy or make my own but if some one will send me the links to the best stuff for a comp it would be most apreasheated

Its really what you want and how much money you have to spend. Theres no use sending you the link for an Intel Xeon Quad chip because theres no way you could even max that out.

What sorts of games do you play?
Do you play them online?
Do you use your computer for anything else?
What operating system do you want to run?

What sorts of games do you play?Do you play them online?
Do you use your computer for anything else?
What operating system do you want to run?

counter strike :source
unrealtornament 2004
World Of Warcraft
yes

web disign land stuff like photoshop

i dont know

Alrighty..

RAM - For those games you should have 1gb if you dont want to lag. Try getting two 512mb corsair RAM sticks. Those are the best for gaming. DDR2 if possible, if not just DDR

Processor (CPU) - A minimum 2GHz should be fine. AMD should be your first choice so try getting an AMD Athlon XP 2400. Anything faster than that is fine.

Graphics Card[/] - If you get an intel processor, go for an ATI graphics card, if you get an AMD one, go for a Nvidia. You should try and aim for 128mb of video RAM, again more if you want.

Hard Drive - Try getting a SATA hard drive with adleast 160GB of space. That should be fine for games, graphics and programs.

Sound Card - Its optional. If you want to get one make sure you have decent speakers or its not worth it. Some motherboards come with incorporated sound cards, those are fine.

Mother Board - This is the most difficult to find. Make sure it supports all your other connections, DDR or DDR2 for your RAM, SATA or ATA for your hard drive. Make sure it doesnt have an intergrated graphics card.

Any other questions just ask them.