xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Basic Guide To Mirc - Installation And Settings

Basic Guide To mIRC

1.Open up your mIRC client.

you will see a screen like this

*Note* my colors are customized. The normal background is white and the text is different also. Bear that in mind when following this tut.

Posted Image

See the folder with the hammer in front of it? Either click that or go to the tab that says tools click it and scroll down and select options

you will get the following screen

Posted Image

2. in that box click the add button

Posted Image

Add the pertinant info you need depending on servers, descriptions etc. As you can see in the picture above i set it up for the station51 server. Click ok when you are done.

3. Now your back to that options screen

Posted Image

Click on connect. you will see this

Posted Image

4. In the top select commands and pick join channel

Posted Image

Enter the name of the channel you want to join

Posted Image

click join and bobs your uncle!

Posted Image

5. So how do i keep joining is there an easier way of this or do i have to keep on joining etc when i log onto the server? Well the same server should come up as the last one you connected to when you used mirc last.So the only thing to do is have it auto join the channels you want. There is an options called favorites. It comes preloaded with a bunch of common channels. I always delete thes and make my own list. At anyrate If you are in a room that you want to add to your favorites go to the favorites tab and select add to favorites

Posted Image

Note you have to be in the channel when u select add to favorites.

6. Next you will get the screen below

Posted Image

Check mark the join connect box if your channel is password protected add the password to it otherwise leave blank. the rest will look like above.

Now it should list that chan in your favourites

Posted Image

You can do that for every channel you want to add to on every server and when you connect to the server it will open up all the channels in your favourites list that exist on that particular server.

Nice tutorial except its not hard to just go into the help file on mirc and start at the introduction. Basically is a tutorial on how to connect and join, etc... says everything about the favourites folder and that aswell

for people wanting a secure connection they can also get SSL and connect on port different port (only if the sever supports SSL)

ie. /server irc.webchat.org +994 instead of /server irc.webchat.org 6667

You can download SSL Here and find out some more about it.

Good job :D

Edited by imacul8 (see edit history)

I would suggest people to use HydraIRC instead of mIRC as many people don't buy mIRC but pirate it but you can get off with that piracy thing as HydraIRC is a freeware.
Obviously many people use IRC for piracy but something original is better than everything pirated! :D
IT was just a suggestion but I think HydraIRC is better, the graphics are cool and I often used to get errors in mIRC and yeah, HydraIRC is easier to control and join/unjoin channels, regarding which your tutorial is.

HydraIRC

Nice tutorial. Mirc is complicated for some people and there are lots of features that are not easy to use. A tutorial on file transferring via xdcc or fserve could be interesting. I use that but I don?t know very well how it works really.

Yeah, I used to use the FileSharing through XDCC but just somehow remembered the input and the procedure I don't know *BLEEP* about how it works and I would be grateful if there will be a tutorial kind of an thing on XDCC and FServe file tranfers and yeah I know how to download files, but how to upload them?

So do all IRC clients connect to the same "IRC server"? So a person using mIRC could talk to a person using HydraIRC if they were in the same channel?

panzer, it depends on what server youre connected to, but yes, they can all connect to the same servers.and as to the topic of all mirc copies being pirated, even though it says you only have a 30 day trial, all it does is bug you when you start mirc by saying your trial is up... nothing more than that