xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BordaForx

Hurricane Ernesto Definitely Heading Towards USA -- Scared?

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Tropical Storm Ernesto gathered strength as it steamed through the central Caribbean toward Jamaica on Saturday and threatened to enter the Gulf of Mexico as the first hurricane of the 2006 Atlantic season.

Source

All Copyrights Are To Yahoo!

Well, I would like to say, I visit Houston a lot. I mean...a lot, a lot since I have a "tiny" home there.And n Houston...we are hit by hurricanes all the time. You know what? I'm sick of this. I'm sick of evacuating from my HOME and leaving my dog behind. :D

I'm sick of getting stuck in traffic that takes 3 hours for you to go somewhere that usually takes 3 minutes...I hate it when everybody breaks every law violation and runs like crazy. I'm sick of this -- I hate to see the highway leading towards Houston closed so there will be more lanes for evacuees. I can't take it anymore. I love Houston...I love my home...

Let me give you a little insight of evacuation...Imagine...emergency lanes are open...the other side of the highway that is parallel to where you are going is open so there will be more lanes for the heavy traffic. You have no clue where you are going...and everybody is scared. Suburbans become overcrowded with millions of cars, and gas stations are filled and you have to stay in a line for over a couple of HOURS. Gas is out...your car is almost out of gas. You have to go somewhere.

So, what's your insight on this? Discuss.

New Edit:

It now says that Ernesto is now a hurricane and not a tropical storm anymore.

Edited by BordaForx (see edit history)

Hurricanes are evil around here too. I haven't really had to evacuate luckily because they seem to move slightly off course. Here in Florida they can get pretty bad but so far I have been lucky. The damage is getting to be too bad in many places though. Hopefully the hurricanes will come less in the years to come. We are only supposed to be like this for a few more years.Edit:Well I found out today that it has changed course and is supposed to nail me in Tampa. It's gonna got through Cuba, hit the Gulf of Mexico and cross right through me. Just bought some batteries today to prepare for it.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

I am just feeling happy that i live in Europe, near Atlantique Ocean, pretty close to it actually, just a mile away, we don't have hurricanes out here, so i am not afraid of .But, we have storms, 1 or 2 times a year we have some big storms and lightings, but not that big in comparison with other world places out there.

I live in England, also in Europe and a place where we don't get hurricanes really. We've had one or two in the past, but generally because of the position England is located and because of the seas and opposite winds and everything, the hurricanes are usually steered off course before they reach us.Looking at how all these people who live in America have posted on Xisto, it seems that they have been affected by these hurricanes quite regularly.All I can say is that I'm pleased where I live, but feel sorry for those who have to put up with these hurricanes on a regular basis.At the end of the day though, nature does what it wants to do. If nature wants us to have a few hurricanes, there's nothing we can do to stop it without creating even worse problems, which may take years to build up, but when they've done, the effects can be catastrophic.

Get hurricanes in Houston all the time? No, not too many. As for evacuation, last year was a cluster, but then again, it was a Cat 5 before landfall. That was enough for me to jump in line to get out of town. I have learned my lesson though. I will wait until a day or two after mandatory evacuation is declared and then go the opposite way around to get north.Anyway, at least I don't live in Florida. Now those people do need their heads examined!!