xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bhavesh

Bluetooth Technology explained An Overview of Bluetooth

Overview

Technology started by Ericsson

Named after 10th century Viking king(Harald Blatand)

A global wireless technology specification

“Always on” communication

Radio frequency based

Inexpensive

Intended for....

Portable devices

Desktop machines

Peripherals

Technology Details

Baseband protocols

Circuit switching

Packet switching

Uses 24 GHz globally available unlicensed ISM radio band

Effective range is 10 meters

Slow communication rate (721Kbps)

Small number of stations

8 devices / piconet

3 voice channels

Secure

Spread spectrum

Simply stated, Bluetooth is a wireless communication protocol. Since it's a communication protocol, you can use Bluetooth to communicate to other Bluetooth-enabled devices. In this sense, Bluetooth is like any other communication protocol that you use every day, such as HTTP, FTP, SMTP, or IMAP. Bluetooth has a client-server architecture; the one that initiates the connection is the client, and the one who receives the connection is the server. Bluetooth is a great protocol for wireless communication because it's capable of transmitting data at nearly 1MB/s, while consuming 1/100th of the power of Wi-Fi.

Comparison of Wireless Technologies

Posted Image

Strengths

Inexpensive

Superior range compared with IR

Omnidirectional, not requiring line of sight

Designed for ad hoc networking

Both voice and data channels

Well defined specification

Large number of implementing companies

Weaknesses

Slow communication rate (1 Mbps)

Short networking range

Limited number of network connections

Large and complex specification(over 1000 pages)

Application Areas

Pure computing applications

Presentations

Card Scanning

Synchronizing Data

Remote Synchronization

Printing

Scanners

Ubiquous Applications

Communicator platforms

Electronic Books

Travel

Home Entertainment

System Applications

In-vehicle systems

Payment Systems

Behavior Enforcement

Collaboration

Mobile E-commerce

Profiles

Bluetooth Profiles were created to allow different Bluetooth devices to interoperate. For instance, let's say that you own a Bluetooth-enabled PDA and a Bluetooth-enabled wireless phone. Both devices have Bluetooth stacks. How can you tell if those two devices will allow you to synchronize the phone lists between each other? How will you know if you can send a phone number from the PDA to the phone? And most importantly, how can you determine if these devices will allow you to browse the Internet from the PDA, using the phone as a wireless modem?

A Bluetooth profile is a designed set of functionality for Bluetooth devices. For instance, using the examples listed above, the phone and the PDA must both support the Synchronization Profile in order to synchronize data between them. In order to send object data such as a .vcf file from the PDA to the phone, then both devices need to have the Object Push Profile implemented. Finally, the PDA and the wireless phone must both support the Dialup Networking Profile in order for the PDA to wirelessly browse the Internet via the phone. If you want your Bluetooth-enabled devices to interact, having a Bluetooth stack is not good enough -- they also need to conform to a particular profile.

A word of caution here: do not get Bluetooth profiles confused with J2ME profiles. J2ME profiles are a set of Java classes that extend the functionality of a J2ME Configuration. For instance, the MID Profile is a set of Java classes that extend the functionality of the Connected Limited Device Configuration. On the other hand, a Bluetooth profile can be implemented in any language and on any platform, because it refers to a defined set of functionality for a Bluetooth-enabled device. So the Object Push Profile can be implemented on a Palm OS PDA in C++, and can be implemented on a Bluetooth-enabled printer in assembly language. For those of you who are familiar with RUP methodology, Bluetooth Profiles are also called Bluetooth Use Cases.

If you are interested to know any thing more, then I am here to help you!!!!!!!!! <_<

Notice from truefusion:
Quote tags is very important. You must use them when copying information from other sites. Information copied from: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Warning issued.

Haha my dad actually uses blue tooth. It really helps him because his phone is bulky XD. Although when you don't know that he has a blue tooth, or what a blue tooth is then you find it strange seeing someone talking to "themselves" while walking. And its even stranger when it is really dark and all you can see is a blue light blinking and wondering why its moving <_<

I haven't got a phone or any device that is bluetooth compatible although have seen a friend use bluetooth before on his mobile phone and thought it looked quite good.When I next buy a phone I will probably buy one that supports bluetooth. Bluetooth seems to be a good way to connect to other mobiles.Thanks for sharing this information on bluetooth. I'd heard of it, but didn't actually know how it worked / technical information about it. This topic quoted interesting information.

I have a bluetooth mobile phone but I don?t really use it very often. Only to share some photos and stuff like that with friends.But I found very useful the explanation, especially the origin of the name... <_< a viking king, hehe It isn?t so strange if Ericsson developed it (it?s a brand from Sweden, I think).

Tell you what? Bluetooth just owns!

I have a mobile phone that supports the bluetooth technology, and i bought then a Bluetooth device for the PC... yes!!!! dont know if you all already know what is it but it looks like this:

Posted Image

its pretty cool, you can download tones for your cellphone, images, videos, etc.. to your computer and then transfer it to your mobile for free..

Edited by MIGUE2k7 (see edit history)

Wi-Fi uses the same radio frequencies as Bluetooth, but with higher power consumption resulting in a stronger connection. As mentioned earlier, Wi-Fi is sometimes called a wireless Ethernet. Although this is not entirely true, it provides us with an idea of what Wi-Fi is capable of. Wi-Fi is better suited for setting up networks since it is a faster connection and has increased security over Bluetooth. Wi-Fi is popular among the computing world, virtually all new laptop computers come with Wi-Fi built in, and all desktop computers are able to be adapted to have a Wi-Fi connection. Recently a few new cell phones have come out with Wi-Fi.One method for comparing the efficiency of wireless transmission protocols such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is called spatial capacity.

I do not have a good experience with bluetooth devices for some reason. When I was doing some testing with my J2ME application, I used a bluetooth dongle and always it has problem pairing up with my notebook and many times, it does not even respond. I switched to IRDA since then, too many problems for me.

Nice tutorial about BlueTooth, but i want to discuss some point related to your documents.I personally used Infrared and BluTooth in so many devices like Laptops, Mobiles and other accessories.......but i found Bluetooth so faster than infrared. And here in your document's table where you mentioned Infrared a faster technology by indicating 16MBPS and you mentioned Bluetooth as 1MPBS there are some mistakes in your table.............Bluetooth is much faster than Infrared technology...........