xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
m107

Recommendation For Small Office Antivirus saving time and bandwidth when updating

We have small office (about 20 PCs) and limited Internet bandwidth, so i want to install that AntiVirus on each computer.I don't want when AntiVirus update the virus library connect directly to Internet from each computer because that just waste bandwidth.I want have a server that automatic download new virus library (use crontab, etc). If that not possible, manually download is ok.. as long can do update through a local PC / Server.I read a lot of topics about AntiVirus in some forums and most of them recommend to use NOD32. So, is that possible in NOD32 and can you give me some tips about how is the best to implement that?If that not possible in NOD32, so what others (AntiVirus) do you recommend? and if you still recommend to use NOD32 but have other opinion.. please let me know

Every place i have ever worked (whether it is a small start up or a large internationally traded company) they have always used Norton Antivirus for the business and i have never had any problems with it. Plus, its very easy to push software updates and virus definition updates straight from the server.

I think of myself as a sensible person...that besides...I dont actually have an antivirus running. I run a scan about once a week, but only have a firewall in the background...the scanner I use is AVAST! ANTIVIRUS, and my firewall is Sunbelt Kerio. You should also install 'ad-aware' because their scans are very good and thorough.

Hi.... Im using Norton Server Corporate, and its working fine... if detects a virus its erease without prompt.... thats good for me, and say what computer is infected.... te virus definitions are updated from the server....greetings....Homer....

At my local datacenter, on the computers they use sophos antivirus, it updates itself everyday at a time that you can set, and it doesn't interrupt anything else.

I use Avira. I use to use AVG, but I like Avira alittle better. I tend to hate Norton, because you have to pay for it and I swear that it misses virus that Avira and AVG both find. I personally think that virus makers pay them to keep there program from finding their viruses, but thats just me. :) Both Avira and AVG have free versions that work just as well as the paid versions and they update when updates are available.

I think you can use Mcafee (it has a feature called epo server), this server gets the updates from internet, and pushes it to the clients.I think you can only use it on the enterprise version.How you have install it I don't know but I have seen it working.You can also do such thing with their firewall , setup the firewall on the server and then copy the settings to the clients, so you don't have to setup them all one by one.Maybe you can find more on their website.In Mcafee you can aslo setup that it updates from a folder on the network, or you can install a proxy serverso that only the first times the updates comes from the internet (I think this will work for most Antivirus programs ).

Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

On our desktops we have nornton anti virus but we have had some problems with it, it somtimes detects a virus and says that it cannot remove it, it somtimes works and somtimes doesnt, so we have microsoft antivirus aswell which removes the viruses which nornton cannot

Well with me it really does not matter if I have protection or not. Because even if I do it is constantly crashing. Luckily I know how to fix my operating system. And no I will not help anyone with there Pc Problems. :) Unless the Pm Me nicely and State there problem exact wit every detail.