xisto Community
Ao)K-General

Pbpbb2 Vs Proboards Which do you think is better?

phpBB2 vs Proboards  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

phpBB is one of the best Forums Software (Free and Open Source) i ever used, But i like IPB and vBullittin too. But can't aford these boards, so i am using phpBB Full Mode Script, which is more powerfull and usefull for a portal use.

phpbb is a lot easier to administer & mod than ipb, the there are some pretty good mods around now, & the support forums are very good. Normally any problem you have can be answered by someone within a couple of hours.I've never had a lot of experience with vbulletin, so I cant really comment about what that may be like.

Hehehehe, in my humble opinion, Proboards is way to bad to be compared with software like phpbb2, for one proboards can only be run on external servers meaning you are dependant on other company's to host your forum, second reason would be that you cant install any mods on it (also because it's remotely hosted). For PHPBB2 you have thousands of usefull mods available to be installed, also you can choose where you want to install it yourself, on Xisto for example. I've also found proboards to be very irritating with cookies and so on...

PhpBB is definately better than proboards. I remember in my humble beginnings to the world of forums i used to love using proboards, that changed when i met phpbb lol. Proboards is too private and has dropped the pace too much.

phpbb is a great forum package, but im currently getting ready to try IPB just to test it out... the only thing that i dont like about phpbb is that im already used to invisionfree, so things are all just a bit different, and that makes things confusing sometimes when im not really sure what im doing :)

You really shouldnt compare them because proboards is like an html rock and chisel and phpbb is a php boulder and jackhammer Phpbb is very customizable with little risk hile messing up proboards can make it look terrible

phpBB all the way.

This, has been here for a while. It's fully customizable, which I love about it, easy to mod [iPB is hard>.<]and.. well, when compared to ProBoards, phpBB looks like vBulletin.

Sadly I've never heard of Proboards. I've had experiences with Phpbb2 but I can't say it was great. Mabye compaired to Proboards, but I can't comment on that. I use IPB for my forums and I think theyre pretty easy, and I'm also a moderator on the iPodHacks.com forums, which is also pretty easy to use. But I know those can be expensive softwares, and that's why there's people out there to null it and give it away.

phpBB FZW!!!! I love how it's completely free, AND their's even probably MORE mods than IPB. It's clean, it's awesome, and has nearly as good features as IPB.Oh and, did I mention.... IT'S FREE!!!! So ownage. ^.^ I used to use it a LONG time ago, but I kept trying to mod it with Notepad and screwed it up several times so I finally just gave up. =\But yeah, once I get hosting here, I'm going back to phpBB. :D

Edited by Sharn (see edit history)

I consider Phpbb2 as the best, it's free and I always love open source things.Phpbb2 has got a good interface, the icons are great and I think it has got all features which are in Invision Power Board. I am will be launching my site soon and will be using Phpbb and will reccomend to all of you too.

phpbb is definitely the best free forum software today... However, its highly recommended not for use in professional stuff which includes business type or important forums... This is because the security flaw in phpbb is rather dangerous and its very buggy... But the interface and the addons are comparable to other paid boards, which makes them the most popular free boards nowsdays...I kind of hate the layout of proboards, they're hard to comprehen and I find it difficult to find things... Proboards have lesser addons to them and their overall board are messy, which often drive members away which does not like the board...

phpbb is better than proboards. but a camel with some bad coding training is better than proboards so that doesn't exactly say much, compare it to some real stuff and we can give you better advice

Comparing between phpbb and probroad is eqaully to phpbb and invision power borard (1.3.x).Personally, I feel that invision power board is much more powerfull that phpbb. It provides more options and build-in feature that phpbb not. To provides the addition functions, a mod must be installed. However, because of the lack of documentation to IPB for mod developer. It's hard to developing a mod for IPB. Or the simplest one, just compare this borad with a php borard( with both the lastest version). You have feel that the power of IPB. But for most people, what they want was a simple, easy to managed forum app. So, the best choose in this area would be phpbb.