xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

Dns Flushing What Exactly Is This?

Jul 8 2006, 04:13 PM Post #7

(bakuryu @ Jul 8 2006, 04:46 AM)

Start -> Run -> type ipconfig /flushdns

OK, I am not completely puter illiterate, but I have not run across this one before. What exactly is a DNS Cache?
and What does flushing it do?

I asked about this in another forum post, but nobody ever answered me. Can you?

When a requestis sent for a site, you receieve an IP address back, to tell you where the site is. When you flush the cache of a DNS server it's like clearing your browser cache, the server is forced to go out and find the IP address, whether it has changed or not. Clearing the cache means it has no record of the site's IP address and has to re-request it, and update itself.

When a requestis sent for a site, you receieve an IP address back, to tell you where the site is. When you flush the cache of a DNS server it's like clearing your browser cache, the server is forced to go out and find the IP address, whether it has changed or not. Clearing the cache means it has no record of the site's IP address and has to re-request it, and update itself.

Thanks ever for the explanation. Now I have a hold on what it does and whether it is useful to me. I'm glad you took the time to answer me.