xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
klo91

Floyd Landis

Floyd Landis said the high testosterone levels that caused him to fail a drug test at the Tour de France are the result of his natural metabolism ? not doping of any kind ? and he will undergo tests to prove it.

Natural metabolism?? I don't think that anybody can produce so much testosterone that they fail a drug test. It can not be possible. In my opinion, I think that he was doping. You can't win the Tour de France without any help from steroids if you have a hip injury. The International Cycling Union should strip away his medal and give it to the man in second place who should have won.

that number of testosterone is possible with natural metabolism, but i also don't think that's the reason. When you have that kinda metabolism, you get a certificate of a doctor or something so you can prove it. I don't think Floyd had that certificate. Anyway i hope he wasn't using any illegal dope and his B-monster wil be negatif. Anyway i also agree with klo91 that you can't win the tour without using any dope. The point is to use just the amount that is permitted.

Oddly enough I was out of town and stayed in his home town after he won. They had a big party planned for Monday I believe. The party was cancelled lol. It would be nice to see another American win, but to have a cheater is just a disgrace to us. It does seem like he was doping which explained his big comeback. All we can do is wait for the other test and hope it comes out negative.

I saw on TV today that the testoserone he had was synthetic. So he lied. I think that's reallt pathetic, everybody knows that he cheated, he could be fair-play and admit that he took drugs. I watched -a bit the Tour and Floyd was really beyond everyone else, that was odd :)

Yes, it's confirmed. Landis' B sample tested positive so being stripped of the title is pretty much inevitable. Worse still, he was fired from his Swiss team (Phonak) and will probably be banned from the tourney for the next two years to come.I do feel a certain degree of pity for him though (then again, his comeback was pretty surreal). Whatever pride, hapiness, honour that he had is now forever tainted by this incident.Well, I guess I'll just stick to high altitude training then... I'll probably never be able to ride at the Tour de France level but completing a full triathlon comes close enough in my books.

How can you have pity for a man that cheated? I felt sorry for him that he was accused, but now that I know he actually cheated, I'm upset at him just like all of the US. Too bad Lance didn't just go again and win lol.

Well, the pity stems from the fact that despite a poor choice Landis might have made (he's still claiming that his body was biologically capable of producing the testosterone and will try to prove it scientifically :) ), his career and life is pretty much ruined.He'll always have a shadow of doubt following him whenever he competes professionally (if he even decides to) and will always be regarded as "the guy who cheated in the Tour the France and soiled the yellow jersey".Worse still, he's the first rider that the tournament has ever stripped the award away from. He might be a "cheater" but in the eyes of the public, he'll have that title attributed to him wherever he goes - even if he does win the legal & scientific battles.**As much as I admire Lance, I have a strong feeling that he too was using some form of performance enhancing drugs... it's just that the levels didn't exceed the limits set by the UCI. I'd hate to be the one saying it, but it's almost a good thing that he retired sooner rather than later as analytical methods for detection of banned substance is getting better and better with each passing year. Nonetheless, he is still a champion at the sport and an American hero indeed.

I think it is a disgrace to the cycling community. One would think that in this day and age no one would be dumb enough to cheat at a major event like the Tour De France. There is always the possibility that his test was altered and he didnt actually dope at all. Wasnt there some sort of thing when Lance Armstrong kept winning?

Yes, it?s a disgrace and is one more step to the end of cycling credibility. No child will want to be like those idols that only win because they have received her dose. Tour de France is now a big shame, although they tried to cut with these practices, they failed miserably.I?m also sorry for northamericans because their last two cycling stars were a completely fraud and it?s sad that people like that are representing a country. Yes, I also think that Amstrong took some kind of drugs but don?t get me wrong. I?m spanish and I am sure that Indurain did the same... and Ulrich probably, and all a lot others.

I can vouch first hand (er, maybe that is second) that a man can naturally have an extreme high level of testosterone because of high motabolism. My husband is a case in point. His is off the chart. However, synthetic is not normal, and if this is what the tests can show, it is too bad that an athlete gets so pumped up about winning that they would stoop to such low levels. I hope further testing shows something different. I haven't heard that what they found was synthetic except on this thread. My hopes are that it isn't true. :) Sad story isn't it?

I did read about it being synthetic. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt until then, mainly because you would think in an event that is so high profile- and especially these days with all of the uproar about performance enhancers in sports- that someone wouldn't be so incredibly stupid to use anything illegal or anything that they thought might raise questions. Next we will hear the great excuse that "somebody gave it to me and I didn't know what it was."

Edited by brandice (see edit history)

Most Doctors and trainers say that testosterone is not a performance enhancer for cyclists. It seem that cyclists are less efficient when they build excess body mass. If in fact Floid did use it knowingly he must not have known it would actually hurt his performance. What a Dope! (pardon the pun)