xisto Community
MacFly

How Do Se Know If Content Has Been Updated ? SE = Search Engines

I have been noticing that my results on yahoo, msn, and google were from old pages that have been updated many times over including keyword updating. I noticed that I get visited by many bots producing many hits but ZERO bandwidth. For example, msnbot regularly visits producing 300+ hits but no bandwidth. And google is starting to do this (they were producing bandwidth before). Does that mean they are checking to see if the pages are updated and think they are not so they don't crawl them?I have dynamic pages that produce dynamic content. So the code and the files don't change too often. But the content does. Do search engines determine these haven't been updated by a date/time stamp of last saved? Do I need to make physcal changes to the dynamic pages (.asp) to get them to think they are updated?The pages I have physically updated (with different keywords) are deeper in my site and I'm thinking they are noticing the landing pages not being updated physically so they do not crawl as deep. Is this a correct assumption?Is there a meta tag they follow to reindex? or to let them know they have been updated? I'm just very confused about all the SEO stuff. Thanks in advance...

I wonder if the answer is not in the configuration of your Internet Explorer. :)Go to Tools, Internet Options... and selecting the General tab. Click the Settings... button and finally select the "Every visit to the page" option.After this setting, all page you will visit will be automatically updated :D

I wonder if the answer are not in the configuration of your Internet Explorer. :)

Go to Tools, Internet Options... and selecting the General tab. Click the Settings... button and finally select the "Every visit to the page" option.

After this setting, all page you will visit will be automatically updated :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a good advice.best way that u could reinstall or upgrade ur IE.restore its configuration as the default.

good luck... :D

Hiya Macfly,

Thesers a thread on a forum here which gives the impression its not really possible to get google to visit more often.

But if you insist.

Meta tags might help

pragma Http-equiv and the cache control http-equiv meta tags may help.

Im not sure if search engine robots act on them properly though, it seems these tags are more for brosers.

Ideally you should set some http-headers, to changing the web server's configuration(ask Xisto nicely, but its still not likely) or by using PHP or Perl to send special http headers.

Theeres some info onuseful header info to set the cache control headers here.

In php do something like this, setting all the headers described in the previous link,

<?php

header("Pragma: no-cache");

header("Cache-Control: no-cache");

header("Expires: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:21:57 GMT"); //must be in this format

?>

<html><head><meta ...

put the rest of web site here, the headers MUST be sent first.

here some info on setting headers in php.

Good luck

hmm .. regarding your question ... here's my 2 cent :google will not crawl ur site too often if ur site is a new 1 .. and so do other SE.For google this is termed as the SANDBOX effect .. for example , a website that have a lot of backlinks and a good PageRank will be crawled by google much more often ..this is y your listing in se is not updated .. u can try to see the cached page .. it;'s the link just after the description of website listing. See the date of the cache page and u will know when is the last crawl of se to your website .nothing much u can do with it now .. u can only improve ur website gradually and get as much backlinks to your website and probably get a PageRank for the next google next PageRank update.google dont use meta tag now .. but other search engine are using it .. so go to optimize it .. do some work and hope that se will see it

ohh .. and btw .. i forgot to give u some tips for building a more search engine friendly pageit;s difficult for a se to crawl a dynamic page like ww.xxx.com/index.php?=50id=83make the dynamic page se friendly by using mod_rewrite to result will be : http://www.xxx.com/index.php/50/83? = and other symbols cannot be recognized that easily by google .im using mod_rewrite now but im not that good .u can try to search it out at google for some tutorial ..good luck !