xisto Community
JasperIk

They Will Never Find A Cure For Aids

What are you sayinhg, there are cure for A.I.D.S., you are very uninformed on this matter, and if i had the time i would explain it to you, and also to the rest of the members here.
I guess that a few lines to try to explain won't explain as i want, but i'll try.

AIDS has a cure, but it is not a cure for all mutations of the aids virus, you see, aids has many mutations, it can change in a favorable environment, and the most favorable is inside the human beeing body, the cels, the blood.

When you go make a blodd exam, at least in Europe, your doctor can include the aids blodd text exam, and there are 2 tests that they will make on your blood to see if it shows up positive, they will test your blood for positive aids-1 test and aids-2, they will test your blood for those 2 aids mutations.

But there are more mutations, in africa are a lot of mutations, why, because people with aids1 have sexual relations with people that have aids2, and in that environment, aids will change to another mutation, so that is why, when 2 persons have aids, they still can't or shouldn't have sexual relations because the aids virus will change, and so it will grow stonger, making the drugs those people are taking, useless to this new mutation.

People like : "Elton John" ; "Magic Johnson" and so on, their doctors/scientists found a cure for their mutation, not a 100% cure, but now, their aids virus in their blood were reduced to 0% .

Today, aids is not mortal, it is not a mortal illness, hepatite B is way more dangerous and mortal, and just for you to know, hepatite b is a 5 level virus, and aids is a 3 level virus, it means that hepatite b can spread in all ways, and aids just in a few ways, 3 to be exact.

Hope this gave you an idea of the current reality, even poor people don't die because of aids, at least in europe, but that doesn't happen in africa, there there is no money for none of the poor people.

India is making enormous advances in this area of research, their drigs are much less expensive and have the same quality has the drugs in europe and america.

Just one more thing, i don't know this because of any special reason, if you know what i mean, i just know this information because a few years back, i had sexual relations with a girl without a condom, and that scared me for a while, so i got curious to know what could happen to me if that girl had aids, anyway, i got lucky, the girl didn't have aids nor in the next 6 and 12 months, but it scared me to death.

Even today, when i go for a blood test, i tremble with fear, and the latest test was last month, boy i was scared, i don't have nothing, and i don't want to have in the future, so i advice you to all use condoms, even when you love the girl, you need both to have blood tests, at least for six months, and then you can do it without the condoms, that's what i did, and today i am feeling good!

As far as I know Elton John does NOT have HIV or AIDS. I believe he did date/is someone who had/has it but I don't think he himself has it.

Just because the persons stats are "normal" doesn't mean they do not have itt. So maybe it appears their HIV is "gone" but if they were testedwith it once before, and came out positive, and then are tested again..and it comes out negative, chances are the test just missed it. There are ways to normalize your stats, but its normally if you catch it in time, so you can maintain in, and possibly undo harm it has done already, but really all there is, is being able to maintain it to where it is, at the first time you are diagnosed.

Put it this way:
If we don't test on animals, we have to test on humans, right? Now testing on criminals, rapists, murderes (sp?) and the such isn't too bad, but testing on your own species is like a form of cannibalism :)
And, sorry to get a bit snappy at you, if you don't want it tested on animals, and as we know it needs to be tested some how, why not put yourself up for testing? :P
Anyways...I doubt they'll cure it, in my lifetime anyways, but I think they'll be able to neutralise it, as someone said earlier. And in the (almost close) words of Chris Rock:
"They've not found a cure for Atheletes Foot! They're not gunna cure AIDs!" :D

I would, if i was healthier
Edited by JasperIk (see edit history)

I am not saying all scientists need to work on one thing. I meant that scientists who are working on finding a cure for something, should work together instead of apart. Like everyone trying to find a cure for HIV/AIDS should stay in touch more, instead of isolating themselves.

Do you mean that all scientists searching for a cure for a specific illness/disease using the same treatment should collaborate? In which case, I agree with you, but as far as scientists trying to cure a disease in general, not all scientists have the same ideas about how to attack a certain virus, thus is why they work apart.

On the stem cell research, a fetus is NOT meant to be used for science. It may not be a fully developed person, but it has rights too.

I'm against abortion, myself, but if a fetus is already aborted, why not donate it to science? Making stem cell research illegal won't keep the many fetuses that are aborted by irresponsible parents, so I don't see why one shoud not use those (already dead) fetuses for science, since they wouldn't feel anything anyway and could in no way be saved.

Yes, i am a vegetarian.

I love eating meat. Beef, chicken, some fish, etc. It tastes good (which, since we can taste it, is proof that we are meant to eat it), it's good for you, and there's no reason not to eat it. Well, depending on the person...i guess one could help maintain good health , but eventually the HIV virus, will come and well..get you.

If animals, could verbally speak to us, i highly doubt they'd say to us "I really enjoy all this food you give me, while i have this lovely ear growing on my face" yeah...seriously i dont think so.

Perhaps, but animals can't talk. They aren't self-aware, and thus are no more worth saving than an insect. Just today, I was trying to get out my old bicycle to go for a ride. While opening the shed, I didn't notice the wasp nest on the inside of the door. After I turned around to try to get something, I was attacked by wasps and one stung me on the left temple. I didn't hesitate to kill every one of them and destroy their nest. Why? Because wasps need not infest human dwellings, since they can live in places in the wild where we cannot. I felt no remorse for killing them, and they felt no pain or fear for being killed. The majority of animals (that are tested upon, anyway) have no real intelligence. They live their lives completely by instinct and never really realize what's going on. If a rat had an ear growing on it's face, it wouldn't realize it any more than if you were told that your left hand was actually a graft. To them it's just another body part. They don't care about mating (and lab rats are bred so they cannot, anyway) and have no real purpose to live save to be experimented upon. Lab rats are bred specifically for this purpose and if the purpose did not exist, neither would lab rats. They are primarily all albinos and rather small and as such could not survive in the wild, so either they live being fed and cared for by humans until they are needed to have a test performed, or not exist at all. Would you rather live until 21 and then, after perhaps five days of annoying boils over you body, die, or would you rather have not existed at all?

Trust me though, i know alot about HIV/AIDS, and i know how it works, and the symptoms. You can be tested positive for full blown AIDS, without being tested positive for HIV. You might never be tested, until after it has progressed into AIDS. Also sometimes, you are tested for HIV and it doesn't show up, but you might still have it, so its best to be tested every six months. A lot of medical books state that it takes up to eight years to get AIDS, that is not true, perhaps the average is eight years, but in some cases it just takes a year, or a few years. It honestly depends on the person.

According to this article, HIV and AIDS are essentially the same virus, but the difference is simply what one's CD4 T count is and what diseases the infected person is exhibiting.

err.... no one has ever been cured of the HIV virus, and I kinda doubt that good health can prevent it. You point about how good health can prevent many diseases is a good one but not for this case. HIV evolves so that it can defeat most cures. So that while one may work now, it won't in the near future.

Just cause it's not fully depleted from the body, doesn't mean you can't fully suppress it to the point where it's no longer active and will never reproduce and evolve again. Sometimes, HIV doesn't really attack the moment it is in the body. It may not even attack for a large amount of time. Some things we hear about on how bad HIV is, isn't really how the HIV virus is. Even if you're tested positive for HIV, it would be better for the person to be tested again to make sure it was an accurate test result. Just cause the doctor says you have it, doesn't mean you actually do.
Another thing, if HIV could defeat most cures, then they weren't really cures to begin with. The only way i can see that the HIV virus were to evolve is if the environment changes. If it feels comfortable, it may not even evolve. But even if the environment changes, it may be too much for the virus to handle and become diminished--this kind of environment would be the kind that good health creates.

By the way, how long as it been since the HIV virus has been discovered? (question to anyone)

I think they need to warp the AIDS virus. Instead of trying to kill the virus, developing it into something they can kill. Of course there is always the chance that it makes the disease more deadly, then we'd be in trouble lol.

Going fresh into my senior year i see the cure to aids being as simple as a treatment to diabeties. With diabeties people are inncolin defecient, inncolin is artificially created and administered to the person. With aids people are ammunity defecent. Find a way to artificially creat white blood cells and give it to a person in a large modified dose. It wont "cure" them but it wont hurt them either it will pretty much haulter aids. MaybeExcuse my spelling 13 hour workdays suck.

Since AIDS is a virus, there's not really a cure, because viruses don't go away. There can only be a treatment, and the same treatment doesn't work for everybody. But I believe that one day, it might be treatable.

AIDS is not a virus, it's a syndrome. HIV is the virus. It's easy to get rid of AIDS, just get rid of all the symptoms that are associated with it. Like every disease, there's usually a lack of something. If you stop lacking in that certain area, you shouldn't have the disease anymore.[hr=noshade]And thanks, Cerebral Stasis, for answering my question.[/hr]

I really hope they do find a cure for HIV and AIDS, but I am in two minds about whether or not it'll happen. It just seems impossible. But then, if you're really worried about this stuff, then there is the quick answer: DON'T HAVE SEX! :)

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

You are absolutely right. I do not mean to offend anyone with the disease, but its very unlikely to find a definite cure for something that mutates like the AIDS virus. All the vaccines and medicine being researched and developed right now is not to cure the virus....but to slow down the its progress.

Perhaps, but animals can't talk. They aren't self-aware, and thus are no more worth saving than an insect. Just today, I was trying to get out my old bicycle to go for a ride. While opening the shed, I didn't notice the wasp nest on the inside of the door. After I turned around to try to get something, I was attacked by wasps and one stung me on the left temple. I didn't hesitate to kill every one of them and destroy their nest. Why? Because wasps need not infest human dwellings, since they can live in places in the wild where we cannot. I felt no remorse for killing them, and they felt no pain or fear for being killed. The majority of animals (that are tested upon, anyway) have no real intelligence. They live their lives completely by instinct and never really realize what's going on.

Unfortunately you are wrong. I have had many 'discussions' with my mother on this topic. She is a Christian and as such believes that animals do not think, feel etc and are only here to serve mankind. Being that I am qualified in Animal Care and Husbandry I have studied a lot and read a lot of research on the subject of 'animal' intelligence and emotion. I would suggest you do the same before you mouth off about something you quite clearly are ignorant about. If you had done some research you might know that 'intelligence' is subjective - you might consider yourself to be smart but to someone else you might seem stupid. My cat is smart by cat standards so he is very intelligent but then he cannot do human mathematics. Why? It's not because he lacks intelligence, it's because he hasn't evolved the capacity to do maths. Why should he have to?! It's not necessary for his species' survival. You might also 'know' that fish don't feel pain but if you had done some reading you would actually know that research has found that fish show similar brain wave patterns and release the same chemicals into their bodies when they are harmed as humans do indicating they have a pain response i.e. they feel pain just like humans! Similar studies have been done on many other animals. If it's got nerves, it feels pain. Even trees have been shown to have a pain response.
As for animals not being able to talk - what, you expect them to be able to speak english?! They do communicate through body language and vocalisation, humans do exactly the same thing. And to think that my cats can understand when I call their names, tell them to get down, tell them to go outside etc and yet most people don't have the foggiest what my cats are trying to tell them - many animals can understand some amount of human speech and yet most humans don't remotely know what animals say - hows that for intelligence?!
Your assumption that animals are not self-aware is also unfounded. Like I said, try doing a little reading and you will find a lot of research that shows quite the opposite. Here are some articles: http://user.strato.net/crvny/sa03002.htm, http://anaheim.universitytutor.com/anaheim_sa050225-2-tutoring, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ etc. Of course, once again, like intelligence self-awareness is subjective.
Intinct is also subjective. What many humans class as thought is in actual fact instinct. Anything that is not a learned behaviour is instinct - speech, walking, urinating, defecating, sex, smiling, the need for interaction, eating, problem solving, tool use etc etc etc - all instinctive behaviours. People might be arrogant enough to elevate themselves above other animals but the fact remains humans ARE animals.

As for no aids cure - not if Bill Gates has anything to do with it! :)

Look how long we have had the common cold, if hiv and aids was discovered in 81 in comparison to the common cold it will be a great deal of time before anyone becomes remotly close.

I really hope they do find a cure for HIV and AIDS, but I am in two minds about whether or not it'll happen. It just seems impossible. But then, if you're really worried about this stuff, then there is the quick answer: DON'T HAVE SEX! :)

You mean you have to choose between a life without sex and a gruesome death? Tough call. - Fry

Unfortunately you are wrong. I have had many 'discussions' with my mother on this topic. She is a Christian and as such believes that animals do not think, feel etc and are only here to serve mankind. Being that I am qualified in Animal Care and Husbandry I have studied a lot and read a lot of research on the subject of 'animal' intelligence and emotion. I would suggest you do the same before you mouth off about something you quite clearly are ignorant about.

I was simply giving my opinion for the sake of argument, not putting my foot down and proclaiming that I was completely correct.

If you had done some research you might know that 'intelligence' is subjective - you might consider yourself to be smart but to someone else you might seem stupid. My cat is smart by cat standards so he is very intelligent but then he cannot do human mathematics. Why? It's not because he lacks intelligence, it's because he hasn't evolved the capacity to do maths. Why should he have to?! It's not necessary for his species' survival.

Is it necessary for our survival? By "Intelligence", I meant the ability to understand that the world is more than the present and to change one's ways in order to specifically affect that. For example, a mouse who raids a farmer's oats only thinks of a need for food, while the farmer thinks of the diseases passed by said mouse, the possible loss of lifestock, and the eventual economic downfall that would ensue.

You might also 'know' that fish don't feel pain but if you had done some reading you would actually know that research has found that fish show similar brain wave patterns and release the same chemicals into their bodies when they are harmed as humans do indicating they have a pain response i.e. they feel pain just like humans! Similar studies have been done on many other animals. If it's got nerves, it feels pain. Even trees have been shown to have a pain response.

I never once claimed that animals did not feel pain, because I knew that they did.

As for animals not being able to talk - what, you expect them to be able to speak english?! They do communicate through body language and vocalisation, humans do exactly the same thing. And to think that my cats can understand when I call their names, tell them to get down, tell them to go outside etc and yet most people don't have the foggiest what my cats are trying to tell them - many animals can understand some amount of human speech and yet most humans don't remotely know what animals say - hows that for intelligence?!

I assumed that one would understand that by "language" I meant the ability to express personal ideas and opinions. True, animals talk, but, unless I'm mistaken, they don't discuss why the sky is blue or chat about their dreams. They simply express useful information, as computers do.

Your assumption that animals are not self-aware is also unfounded. Like I said, try doing a little reading and you will find a lot of research that shows quite the opposite. Here are some articles: http://user.strato.net/crvny/sa03002.htm, http://anaheim.universitytutor.com/anaheim_sa050225-2-tutoring, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ etc. Of course, once again, like intelligence self-awareness is subjective.

Intinct is also subjective. What many humans class as thought is in actual fact instinct. Anything that is not a learned behaviour is instinct - speech, walking, urinating, defecating, sex, smiling, the need for interaction, eating, problem solving, tool use etc etc etc - all instinctive behaviours. People might be arrogant enough to elevate themselves above other animals but the fact remains humans ARE animals.

I'm not saying that animals don't have any primitive emotions or personalities, because I know that they do. As for the pidgeon thing, I hadn't been aware of that article (and had only read to the contrary thus far), although from the video, it looks to me like, during it's constant movement, the pidgeon just happened to notice the mark on it's bib by chance, rather than by realizing that it's mirror image had said mark.

I didn't intend to debate animal rights, in any case. I'm just saying that I think that the sacrifice of animal life is worth saving human lives, especially since the animals are not intentionally tortured or put in pain (they are simply used to harvest results in as painless a way as possible). Animals kill animals below themselves on the food chain. Since we also are animals and are pretty much at the top of the food chain, we can kill animals and not feel as though we are being any less than what we are - animals. If one debates that as the highest life form of the planet, we should simply know better, one could consider everything we do to harm animals. For example, we spray our crops, which kills or harms certain creatures, but if we did not, said creatures would eat our food and not give a second thought on the matter. If one's house becomes infested with ants, one can either kill those ants or allow them to destroy one's food. Life is all about the will and need to survive another day, and just because we have an intellectual advantage over other creatures does not mean we shouldn't use it to achieve that goal. Animals with sharp claws and teeth don't hesistate to use their advantages over us, so why should we hesistate to use our advantage (brain power) over them?

One cannot live life passively - it just doesn't work. In order to live, one must create and destroy. There's no way to avoid that. The difference is that we have a higher priority to guarantee the creation and continuation of our own species versus that of another species.

For example, cows. They live a life of bliss. We humans put them out in fields, medicate them, and guarantee their survival. In return, they give us their meat at a certain point of their lives. If they were to run free in the wild, chances are they would never reach that point on their own (or most wouldn't, in any case), yet living with humans, they are given a life of bliss, doing whatever they like, given all the food they could want. True, they have to pay a capital price at the end, but it seems to me as though it is all worthwhile.

Humans are, thanks to evolution, omnivores. This means that, because nature said so, we can eat both animals and plants. Eating animals the "natural way" means we run them down, rip their throat out, and then devour their corpse. These days, we have "humane" ways of killing, namely a gunshot to the head in order to kill the animal without inflicting pain. Now when it comes to tests, such as growing an ear on a rat's face, the creature does not feel pain because there is growth, not decay. In the case of vaccine testing in which a rat is given a disease and then the cure, the scientists assume that the cure will work. In the unlikely event that it is not, the animal is quickly "put out of it's misery" in order to be tested for the reason that the vaccine didn't work. Drugs aren't just randomly pumped into animals until one combination works, every experiment has to have a purpose and reasonable proof that the vaccine being tested will work. It's not an animal torture-fest. Hunting is probably much more of an activity that causes animal pain, and yet that's not illegal (and why should it be? humans, according to instinct, should be able to hunt).

Let's assume for a moment that bacteria can feel pain, simply for the sake of discussion. Should we stop trying to kill off bacteria to save human lives because of this? Are billions of single-celled organisms worth the lives of millions of multi-cellular ones? Chances are you think "no." Well, why not? Shouldn't bacteria have the same rights as any other living creature? What gives you the right to decide?

The only way to be fair is to throw away all philosophy and technology and just live like animals - no vaccines, no weapons, etc. This would not only mean that the human race as a whole would face extinction, but it would, as I have said, be a waste of the evolutionary advantage our race has been given - the ability to use technology as a tool to help us survive what we otherwise could not.

According to me they never should find a cure for AIDS, the humanity has gone crazy after sex and has lost their diginity, honour, manners and everything for this. This is the only fear that keeps most of us form entering into Illegal relationships and prostitutions.