xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Microsoft Warns Of Virus Entering Pcs Via Powerpoint

Microsoft has alerted users of a virus that enters PCs through the PowerPoint program. The virus attaches itself to a contaminated presentation that when accessed installs a keylogging software on a computer.
Users are being warned to take precautions because Microsoft patch that guards against the security loophole will still be tentatively released on August 8.

Reports say the virus has infected relatively few people with the poisoned presentation.

Malicious hackers used the bug found in PowerPoint 2000, 2002 and 2003.

Security experts report that the virus targetted companies in Asia due to the Chinese characters typed in the subject line of the e-mail attached with the defective PowerPoint file in the same name.

The presentation presents 18 funny slides about love between men and women.

The virus was spread from an e-mail based from a Google GMail address.

Once the PC is infected, it will open the backdoor into that machine that the virus creators can access to collect recorded keystrokes or install more malicious programs.

The virus then places a blank version of the poisoned presentation to belie that the computer has been compromised.

Source: Zam Online

Well I have had a keylogger before that game unnoticed and it isn't a treat. Luckily you warned us about this because I hadn't heard anything but I also don't normally go around downloading powerpoints anyway I just make my own. If any of you guys do seem to catch this keylogger I would recommend using Webroot SpySweeper to get rid of it. It seems to find everything including the source files so it doesn't come back.

Virus are created by men and they will continue to search hard where they can hit. My Joomla powered site was hacked by some miscreants (who happened to be from Turkey). I knew they gain nothing much in doing such but the world is big enough to accomodate such kind of people. I'm happy that I don't use PowerPoint at the moment. But this is a very good information. Thanks for sharing.