xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pinksardonic

USA

I thought it might be interesting to see what people think about America.I've found through my travels to Europe and the Near East, people look at Americans as fat, rude, and abraisive. Especially in France (for the record, I love France.. and its people, my best friend is half French), people seem very put off by us. Even if we make an attempt to speak the language, they get pretty pissed off when your first question is 'do you speak english?'I'd like to say that not all Americans are rude and pushy, we're just used to getting what we want. Yes, we work for things, but it seems like it's a trifle easier here than other places. We're used to being up front about most things and voicing our opinions is standard operating procedure. Besides that.. I find we're mostly a friendly people who like to chat and make make friends and put people at ease.Whenever I'm abroad, I try to make myself a little extra friendly towards others and try to keep my boisterous-ness toned down. It may be silly, but it makes me feel like I'm doing my part to push away the 'studid American' stereotype.What do you think? Do you find most Americans fit the stereotype? I promise I won't be offended if you say yes.. hehe B)

I don't know about the American stereotype, I'm still trying to live down the red-neck stereotype. lol Yep, I live in Iowa... home of corn, rusted ford trucks, cowboy hats and huge belt-buckles. Oye, just because you live in hick-ville doesn't mean you have to act like a hick! Well apparantly it does. blahh B) Around here, yes a whole lotta people are "fat, rude, and abraisive." I think they call that "midwest charm" though. LMAO It has all to do with perceptions. Some people in this town I live in never leave - litterally - their whole families born/live/die here without seeing anything of the world outside of their farms or the local bakery, and wouldn't want it any other way. Me, I can't wait to get out. I've seen there's more out there... through the wonders of public television. B)

Now that you mention it.... I do find a lot of stereotypes within the US.I'm from Connecticut, Fairfield County to be exact and my town has the richest per capita area code in the nation. (I'm sorry, not to be a braggart or anything) When I go anywhere else.. even to places within New England, I'm confronted with the stereotype of rich wasp. People think that our life resembles that of Ally and Jamie from the MTV show 'Rich Girls' or even that we're all shallow like 'Simple Life' girls Paris and Nicole. We're just ordinary people!!!! lol...

Stereotypes are universal pain. They follow each and every nation.The problem of the language that you mentioned is something I have heared many times before. In some countries it is, perhaps, exaggerated. But the thing is, that, many people presume that English is readilly acceptable in each and every spot of this planet because it is, if I may say, today's esperanto (in the sense of universality of use). This is just not the case. What strikes speakers of English is that often they have to confront such reactions like you in france. This is the result of its universality, of course. I, for example, am much more used to hearing no or being looked at strangely when I try to address someone in my mother tongue. So, if and when I go to the States and I say "Govorite li sprski?", "Sprechen Sie deutsch?" or "Parla italiano?" I won't be struck by a sudden laughter. Perhaps, if you manage to put things into this perspective, it won't bother you too much.This being said, there are countries where many people tend to be even rude when you address them in a language other than their own, which is, in my opinion, pure lack of culture. Saying: "Sorry, I can't understand what you are trying to say" is one thing. "Scheiss Ausl?nder!" is something completely different.You have started an interesting thread.

I think it depends on when do you ask this question too. If you asked during this time, you may get sth the reflex the current gov policy... like US is self-center, too ego, don't care about others' opinion.However, if we take off the bias on the gov policy, you may get sth like US is full of freedom, broad minded, fair (compare to other countries). Americans are friendly, strong, more humanized, and free to express themselves (not slickly like Europians). :lol:

Post Snipped because Xisto Detected Spam

The Americans I've met have always been okay.We Irish are pretty close to the stereotype.Well the drunken youths like to claim thet being Irish entitles them to binge drink.

When I went to Toronto the canadians were all pretty friendly to the poor lost american tourists, but we kept getting asked what we thought of Bush.... apparently most of them hate him almost as much as I do! :D As far as sterotypes the Massachusetts one is pretty much correct, left-wing democrats who like to lecture people on the importance of education and can't pronounce R, but unlike sterotypes we're not all rich, most people here are actually lower and middle class, and we do have a few rednecks. I think what gives the USA such a GREAT reputation in foregin countries is our BRILLANT leader. [/sarcasem] :D

I've met a lot of Americans. Most of them have been really nice, but there are a lot of them that also share this narrow minded thoughts:- they think they know everything- they think they are the only civilized people- and pretty much they think that the US is the center of the world.But like I said, they are not all like that.

I've met a lot of Americans. Most of them have been really nice, but there are a lot of them that also share this narrow minded thoughts:- they think they know everything
- they think they are the only civilized people
- and pretty much they think that the US is the center of the world.

But like I said, they are not all like that.

This is a universal problem. USA is no exception.

My friend who is studying in seattle once told me that americans are nice, not racist, they're friendly, but somehow he couldn't manage to be close enough to be their friends. probably it was caused by the difference in the way of communicating, maybe because of different culture too. i myself would be grateful if i could made friends with americans, above all, the set the trend ^^ american RULES!!!

Stereotypes..........i do think generally sometimes we are rude and sometimes were not. It just depends on the mood were in. I think the the New York people and New Jersey people are rude. If I bump into one of the. They like make a whole scene. Even when you say your sorry. I don't get it. As Texan's others think were all cowboys and have an accent like the country peeps. But were all mixed. We are suppose to be loud people too. But stereotypes are not always true with everyone. errr. i don't think i make since. I'm probaly talking off topic anyways. :P

Even so, I am sure that you can find many polite and easy-going people in New York. Big cities are somewhat stresfull to live in, so I guess that a bit of all that frantic creaps into social life as well. However, I don't think that you will find inhabitants of big American cities much more different in this respect from the inhabitants of big cities elswhere in the world.

Everywhere you go, you find stereotypes. I'm an American, and I can tell you that not all Americans are rude. Some are rude, but a lot actually aren't. As for that stereotype that we are all fat...well, I see that many Americans are getting fatter and fatter...but that's not all of us. :( Some are fat; some are thin. Some are kind; some are mean. Some are shy; some are arrogent. You have these types of people everywhere.~Puppy :(