xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rapidget

Firefox 2.0 Beta 1

If you've given the newly-released Firefox 2.0 Beta 1 a spin, you've probably noticed that there aren't a whole lot of eye-popping new features. However, there are a few subtle improvements that make it a nice upgrade.

In addition to built-in spellchecker, Firefox 2.0 also has close buttons on every individual tab - a much-needed feature (especially on Mac OS X.)

There's also better (but still not great) RSS integration. When you click on a site's feed icon (at the far end of the address bar), a preview page with the option to choose your feed reader appears.
You can bypass this page by permanently setting your feed reader of choice, to automatically subscribe to a feed.

The new History menu maintains a list of recently-closed tabs with the option to re-open them. (as there already has on the plugin: Session Saver (and more).

"Power extension users will note that most of this functionality is available in 1.5 with a few extensions, but now that these features come by default and are supported by Mozilla, more users will benefit from them."

If you haven't yet installed the Firefox 2.0 Beta 1 because you didn't want to lose your extension functionality, reader Brad reminds us how to fake out extensions into working. I haven't tried that myself so do proceed with caution.

If you're feeling like a bold tester who's willing to give up all extension functionality, you can go ahead and install FF for yourself. I'm feeling more "wait till it's a bit more stable" myself - because honestly, it doesn't look like that drastic an upgrade just yet.

Video Preview

Video: Firefox 2 is in alpha [CNET]
Bon Echo Alpha 1 Milestone [Mozilla Developer Center]

I like the idea of a built in spell checker. That will be really helpful when I'm edditing my site as I view it in Firefox. As for an X to close each individual tag it already had that. It is all the way to the right when you have multiple tabs open. You click on the tag you want to close and on that same tool bar all the way to the right is a little X. I like the idea of opening recently closed tabs just in case it was an accident. I guess this upgrade isn't necessary but will be helpful overall.

Plenopitc... I meant on each tab you get a [X]... So if you have 10 tabs you will have 10 [X]... I find it useful, for me and for others... There are many people who doesn't know how to close a tab... Don't call me names!! It's true!

I'm not a big fan of upgrading things. I recently upgraded my Firefox to 1.5.0.4 and I'm not liking it that much. It keeps giving me errors that weren't in the older version.Also, since this is a beta version, there's more reason for me to not upgrade. I've never had much luck with them, they also give more problems.The only thing that intrigues me in this version is the spellchecker, because I'm a horrible speller. >_>

I took the plunge, sacrificed my extensions, and dove into the beta with guns blazing.Ok, ok, I only had one extension - not much too lose.I notice very few differences. The spell check is pretty nice and fast. And, of course, the individual exits on each tab rocks.

The only new feature I found was that it was at least 5 times slower than version 1.5, I do however like the additions of some of the new features, even if the only one I can't get in Opera is inline spell checking (it has spell checking, its just not automatic) and extensions although I don't really care for those as all they do is add to the bloat. The fact that places was dropped is a good thing for me, having used places in Minefield (Firefox trunk build) I can say that it did nothing to increase the ease of use and still doesn't work properly. The re open closed tabs feature IMO is horribly implemented, They should be a toolbar button (as in Opera). I even noticed a few new render problems with the new version of Gecko (1.8 I think). Anyway it's still better than IE 7 b3 (only just mind) but for me Opera is still far and away the best browser currently available.

The only new feature I found was that it was at least 5 times slower than version 1.5, I do however like the additions of some of the new features, even if the only one I can't get in Opera is inline spell checking (it has spell checking, its just not automatic) and extensions although I don't really care for those as all they do is add to the bloat. The fact that places was dropped is a good thing for me, having used places in Minefield (Firefox trunk build) I can say that it did nothing to increase the ease of use and still doesn't work properly. The re open closed tabs feature IMO is horribly implemented, They should be a toolbar button (as in Opera). I even noticed a few new render problems with the new version of Gecko (1.8 I think). Anyway it's still better than IE 7 b3 (only just mind) but for me Opera is still far and away the best browser currently available.

I don't find it to be any slower than 1.5. Maybe I am just special?

I am not fond of changing things. I go by the principle: "If it works, don't change." The only problem I have with my FireFox is that it takes too long to load. Is this problem fixed in version 2.0? Because if it isn't, I won't be upgrading any time soon. <_<

why is everyone so excited with the [x] on each tab? if u have a scroll mouse u can just click teh scroll on which ever tab u want to clsoe and it closes. its works teh same with links, if u want to open a new link in a new tab simple middle click on the link. thats how i've always done it, the new [x]s on each tab irritates me. i liked it when it was simple and uncluttered.