xisto Community
spawn_syxx9

Macs Or Pc's Or Self-made I wonder what do you have?

What computer do you have?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am asking because I don't really care about the model but I want to know if my next comp I should buy should be either one of these.

I like self build because you can put exactly what you want in and dont get a crappy motherboard. But Pc's are geting so cheap you almost cant build one cheaper than you can get one from someplace else. dont do dell though. I havent much success with dell. Or HP, i've just seen a lot of Bad ghosting (when they copy all the hard drives) so you get funky windows errors alll the time. Not cool. If you can, order falcon northwest. free overnite shiping on repairs. both ways.. that used to be there thing, hope they still do it.Whatever you do, never get a mac.

Whatever you do, never get a mac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have Mac-G4 at work, and on the left side I have Pentium 4. When I open photoshop, on both computers, mac & pc, and try to open in photoshop an image which had 300 mb, guess what? Mac beats PC like that... But Pc had some other advantages too.. They are cheap, and you can custom build them.

Mac is a good machine, no, not good, excellent machine... It's just way too expensive for me to buy it. I've seen Mac processor runing on 850MHz, beat one Intel and one AMD, running at 2.0GHz... And Max is great for multimedia...Anyway, since we are talking about which is the best, I would go for custom built PC... That way, you have control over what you're puting in, and everything... And is generaly cheaper than buying brand name comp, where you do pay extra just fr the name.One thing I actualy read somewhere about Compaq, and other brand names, is that they put in their own power supplies, change the pinout on the motherboard, and if your power supply fails, you must buy power supply from them, because any other will fry your MB, 'cause they changed pinouts... Talking about customer care... :)

I believe that it really comes down to one thing: Money.If you can afford to rake out a few thousand dollars I would highly suggest to get a new G5 as they are blistering fast and lots of new software is being created with it. It is also based on UNIX so you can start to learn some of that as it's pretty enjoyable. (I would love an apple, but being only 15, I cannot afford one. :))If you cannot afford that kind of money building your own computer is the second-best option. This is unless you do not have enough experience, building your own computer is a very good way to let you learn how computers work and how the whole machine interacts with eachother. If you are not that experienced but have an experienced friend, ask them to help you build it.The last option are the pre-built OEM computers, while these computers are seen as crappy the reason they are so good is the warranty and support you recieve with them. With a custom built computer, you don't have any warranty and any mistakes you come by you will have to pay for to be repaired.I personally have a custom built AMD Athlon 1.5Ghz computer that I built 2 years ago, it has had its ups and downs but for it's price it has been pretty good. I also have a Compaq Deskpro EN (The tiny computers), which is a P2 400Mhz, I am still able to use this computer and everything is still working. I guess the big companies make their computers to last.-greenmask

Damn you guys have some awesome stuff out there. I am thinking though that with AMD, PCs have become a lot faster and a lot more customizable. I can't really think of what it is that makes me want to keep my old machine. Though at 2ghz I really cant complain. Though I will admit that I have thought several times of getting a Vaio. I don't really know. I think that I should just because I can.

I have a self-made pc. You can build them for exactly what you want. I built mine for gaming... The specs are

AMC 64 3000+

Asus K8V

160 WD HDD

X800 Pro

2 GB RAM(overkill)

Audigy Sound Blaster 2 Gamer Edition

All I can say is it runs like a dream. :)

sounds good to meWhat kind of towers do you use because I was thinking of just getting a frag box.

I think i prefer the self made ones cos you will have to configure the PC the way you want it to be and that exactly my style.

PC Beats mac any day, im not biased but it simple beats the mac because it is the norm for the pc world. On the other hand the Mac is great for photo editing and graphics altho the cpu is physcially slower, it is faster than any pc at running PS and other gfx editing programs i give the mac a big Thumbs Up for that, altho i loath them, and they are so goofy with a 1 button mouse, even tho i know you can right click, and you can also purchase a 2 button mouse for it. just goofy :D. I grew up with macs in gradeschool and have had all but good experiences with them, maybe that is why i hate them so? ne ways I dont think its possible to build a mac yourself, i dont think apple sells the parts. Ne ways, if you want to have a mac type evnironment just use SuSe Linux or something.

Realy, i have G4 also but with 1 GB RAM, u know

P4 with 1 GB RAM, and G4 with 1GB RAM,

P4 beat the MAC...why because multitasking and other stuff is better on Windows ...

MACOS 9.x is not good enough, and OSX have problems with many things, i say PC is better today for graphics, especialy for 3D if u know to choose right hardare...when u buy MAC u have to spend a lot of money to get a fine peace of equipment.....

;)

I have Mac-G4 at work, and on the left side I have Pentium 4. When I open photoshop, on both computers, mac & pc, and try to open in photoshop an image which had 300 mb, guess what? Mac beats PC like that... But Pc had some other advantages too.. They are cheap, and you can custom build them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah right, especialy today...MAC it's junk for people who don't have expirience, on mac u can just do the graphic business, or play...u cannot make serious programing, or u can on MACOS X , BUT (with BIG BUT) u have to know linux ;);) hehe C++ and have to switch to prompt...Tell me how many machintosh users who passed from MACOS 9.x to MACOS X does know what is shell? zsh,tcsh, and even what's shell scripts, TCL? :P:P yeah, right again, apple has made a good move using linux kernel, but users will spend many time and $$ to get know how program some real stuff under MAC...why because they using for years OS that is WYSIWYG and they don't know *BLEEP* about config.sys, autoexec.bat, configuring anything ;):P system.ini hehe...shell? yeah right... :P