xisto Community
hedzup

Mircrosoft "ipod Killer", Mp3 Player Wars picture and info

well, here is the picture and a short article I found:

here, here!

it is said to have wi-fi capabilities, so that you can download music without having a computer... you can download it right from the device! it is set to launch sometime before christmas of this year.

it is called the 'iPod killer', but, you never know, they may fail... i suppose you can use that term to any mp3 player/company trying to be as successful as apple.

the new iPod nano will also be debuting sometime before christmas, sometime in the fourth quarter it is believed. This new ipod nano is rumored to have a design/shell/case (whatever you want to call it) similar to the ipod mini, and it will be more scratch resistant (like the mini).

the rumors are abound, the time is near... who will win our money, who will have the title of leading mp3 player maker, the current leader, apple, or the new contendor, microsoft. we will decide, we will choose which we trust our music and files to.

It seems to be interesting as it should have more funcionalities and a cheaper price as Microsoft wants to become a challenger... What I could realize is that it's really similar to a Ipod... That black style got me... I haven't heard anything about it yet, but does anybody know if it will need a program such as Ituner (of something like that) to transfer musics (create database) or is it going to be like a MP3 Player which you don't need anything like that... I got a MP3 Player as I use its Pen Drive on University without cable (different from Ipod) and I prefer ir because it doesn't use "batteries". So if it's out of charge I can buy one easily...

Well... iPod technically doesn't require itunes (i believe that's what you meant, rapidget)... there are mods and completely new firmwares you can install onto the ipod to turn it into a drag-and-drop mp3 player... one being rockbox (https://www.rockbox.org/ , however i stopped using it since it's awesome graphic interface drained battery pretty fast). but I don't think any word is out officially as to what the MS mp3 player will use. if I find out any more i'll post it up here : )

To me I think it looks great and has good features on just hearing about it I would get one myself because Microsoft is getting more advanced and is hitting the market alot more with newer products. But there choice on style looks like crap and stuff which doesn't help me at all but if the features that are said to be in it are true I see why people should not get it. But I never liked iPod minis myself the black and white ones I like things in clear color.

To me I think it looks great and has good features on just hearing about it I would get one myself because Microsoft is getting more advanced and is hitting the market alot more with newer products. But there choice on style looks like crap and stuff which doesn't help me at all but if the features that are said to be in it are true I see why people should not get it. But I never liked iPod minis myself the black and white ones I like things in clear color.

Well, i would be interested in buying it, but its to big, if u try to put it in your pocket it will stick out the top and, as a consumer that got into that whole iPod craze, I would be worried about being able to put all of the songs that I had for my iPod/iTunes on this new mp3 player, as those are mp4s and protected. That would be $350 of music that I like, down the drain, but if they made the music/device compatable then there would be no problem. I also agree with Mr. T on the style of it, its just crappy and cheapish looking and I asume they will charge anyware from $300-$600 for it I would just stick to the Pod. However when the Pod gets outdated, I might look at whatever is more popular, and which one is more bang for your buck.
Edited by mtvoyagers (see edit history)

Price matters to the purchaser so it should still be reasonable of corse. Well on the size of it I am sure they can decrease it. I myself use a leather case and have it on my belt for its easier to change the volumn and the song. I do think it should just be a color display with only songs no videos and the extra features that are on this one because if you look at it having videos is a waste of time on these because it drains the battery a little faster and it mostly ment for on the go or exercising and stuff so adding videos is crappy.

Price matters to the purchaser so it should still be reasonable of corse. Well on the size of it I am sure they can decrease it. I myself use a leather case and have it on my belt for its easier to change the volumn and the song. I do think it should just be a color display with only songs no videos and the extra features that are on this one because if you look at it having videos is a waste of time on these because it drains the battery a little faster and it mostly ment for on the go or exercising and stuff so adding videos is crappy.

I agree on the videos, I have the feature but have never actually used it, I even downloaded videos, but still have never watched them. However with the size and style I think they need to do something new, otherwise it will be no different then any other mp3 player, besides the Wi-fi, but i dont think i would buy it just for the Wi-fi, because apple and others will probably have that in the near future too, and plus it kind of already does happen with vcast from Verizon (and sprint, so on) I can download songs there too, and my phone will work as an mp3 player so I can add CDs and such, however that does kill batterie too. It will be truely interesting to see what happens with Window mp3 player and Apple and all of the others.

Maybe they are still working on producing changes before it is introduced into the market. Wi-fi is the only new thing on there they need to have a new style on what is shown when displaying it. I myself don't like how clear the metal is on the back of the iPods because you can easily see scratches if any happen to be on it at all, I hope they have a new type of style shown on the back compared to what is already out right now. Like maybe have it that address books and stuff on this can actually be used without needing to do it all on the computer.

Hmmm... I've heard, so it's only a rumor, a tactic that microsoft might take in order to sell this product. They might make the device itunes-downloaded-music/video compatible. This is for the people who paid for the songs/videos legally... they don't have to start a new collection because apple doesn't want to free up it's music to play on other mp3 players... this might solve your problem, mtvoyagers : )

will this technology war ever end haha... figures not. it seems that techology wins money thse days. the better the gizmo the bigger the cash inflow. another thing woud have to be asthetic qualities. everything has to look nice now. fashion is shooting through the roof. i guess microsoft cant let apple win through with this mp3 war. the ipod is keeping apple plenty alive and its not look too flash for microsoft. i guess this is how they're gonna retalliate. doesnt look too flashy, but i bet the stats on this thing pwn. i personally think ipod wins the looks aspect, i'm not into the whole buttons sticking out nemroe. i like my objects refined and smooth. if i wre too design an mp3 player it would be like an ipod but the whole side would be a touchscreen where u rotate and such on a gui interface which directly animated withing the screen. that would be a killer piece of equipment for me, esp better on movies too.

Personally I don't really like the design much, however the idea and the principles behind it I do like the whole wireless thing which could be a great asset to Microsoft. My thought about the interface would be that the device functioned as a normal MP3 player, but when viewing videos I guess that the device would be held sideways giving it a widescreen aspect ratio. I also suspect that there are either side buttons or touch sensitivity to manage navigation an seeking within media.I am also intrigued as to how MS can link this in with the Xbox as this design clearly doesn't play (conventional) games, it will obviously allow for streaming of media from Xbox's and from PC's (unless MS go crazy). anyway seeing as this is just one design in Project Argo I would expect there to be other (better) designs, ones that may include gaming and link in to Windows Live Anywhere (or is that Everywhere?).

iPods will stay no doubt, they look great, clear, and do anything you want. Im waitin to see the new 4th generation come out at the end of this year.

As an honest opinion, I would love to see any thing take out the IPod. Its making Macintosh get a big head and think they are the greatest computer company in the history of man kind. Plus the fact you have to pay an arm and a leg to get an IPod. I got my MP3 play for less then the cost of an IPod with the same amout of space. It came with more features as well, such as a built in Microphone and a FM Radio. I think the only thing keeping the IPod alive is the college student crowd. The only reason I say this is because thats about the only place I see an IPod anymore is on my college's campus.