xisto Community
Webber

Martial Arts? What's Your Viewpoint? Thugs Game Or Profeshional Sport? Have your say.. wether your a martial artist.. boxer, sports man or a

Ok, so I want to know everyone's viewpoints on martial arts... What do you think? Is it a sport? Is it an art? Is it a thug's game?? Let me know what you think please..Ok so personally, I don't see how it could possibly be a thug's game, in all the time of training in both Karate and Judo I've never seen an essance of anything that we see in the papers being preformed by groups of youths (just to say I'm not targetting teens, I'm a teen myself.. but you know the dudes I mean), and to me it is an art, just like dance or anything else like that, I believe it requires exceptional concentration, control, self discipline and dedication. I dont think any of these 'thugs' would last a minute in this type of environment. However, I do see the contreversy (please excuse my spelling of that word) of these arts. Some people say that they are simply a blood sport, and why would you want to fight? Well let me say that I completely understand the viewpoint, but it is something you have to do to understand, the adraniline, the feeling inside -- it doesn't feel like your just fighting someone (which most certainlly isn't cool), it feels like something incredible, because your not just throwing punches, your doing something incredible, you going against every single possibility of your body, your doing something that you shouldn't be doing at your own will, your doing something that feels incredible, and like I said, I can't describe it, it's like trying to someone that has been blind since birth what the colour yellow looks like, I can't tell you what it feels like, you have to taste it for yourself, but after a round of Judo, I dont believe there are many people that would consider it to be a simple 'game' of punching your opponent.. I understand it as a sport, and I do compete (in judo anyway) as a sport's man, because I enjoy the thrill of it, but in my eye's it is more than that, to me it is a self defence first and foremost, but it is also more about personal development and courage. How ever, I do have a standpoint on Boxing.. (and any boxers please forgive me, because I know this is stereotypic, and this is obviously not true for all boxers), but I believe that to be a 'thugs' sport. I know it must require an element of skill.. but when you compare two guys swining 'punches' at one another, and then compare it to the strong, solid locked punches and round house kick's of Karate, well I dont see any comparrison, how ever.. having said that I will apoligise to any boxers now, because I know that it is not like that under the surface, and I know that it requires skill.. my biased view is probably based on the fact that in my town, the boxers are very slow witted thugs, that are always in fights, so I'll apoligise to the majority of the boxing community now... but I do believe that martial arts is a life long learning process of transforming yourself, and I would like you think of Martial arts (such as Karate, Judo, Kung Fu, Jujitsu) to be seperate from Boxing, Kick Boxing, Tia Boxing etc, because they have such different purposes and effects. In my opinion karate and judo require exceptional skill, persistance, dedication, determination, strength, endurance and passion, and so I dont think it can be classed atall as a thug's game... ** And on the subject of martial arts may I just clear up a little something... the iconic 'judo chop' isn't judo, because judo has very little hand work like that, it's Karate, and it's not a 'chop', it's a soto woki... ** Thanks everyone, I look forwards to your replies, wether you martial artists, boxers, sports men or observers...

cool soto woki.I agree with you r point that boxing definitely seems to be a thugs' sport, whilst in comparison martial arts, with very well rehearsed and choreographical moves is the opposite. I must say I do neither but I think that unless there is a completely hidden side to boxing, it is as you said.(and please boxers, this is just my opinion and you are allowed to see it you r way for the enjoyment or what you get back from the sport (which is what I believe a great sport to be, one which you get back much enjoyment or personal gain from it, whilst being able to compete, but also go along with and help out you competitors too as a true sportsman.))

According to me martial art has several advantagesthey strengethen us, give us a boost in confidence, keeps us healthy and also helps us control ourself.A properly trained Martial Art Warrior will never use the art for hurting the opponent in real life, they ony use it when they have no other way out. So it cannot be taken as a Thugs Game.We can consider it as a professional game as it teaches us sincerity, concentration and professionalism.

Whoa......I bet that post netted you a few credits! lol O_oBut yeah, some of the 'finer' asian martial arts I'd consider a professional sport. Fighting styles like boxing and wrestling are more thuggish, but still a sport.

Ive done talkwondo for the best part of eighteen years - purely to keep fit.If you are out clubbing, drunk & you get in a fight & try and use it you will just end up on your backside looking a right plonker.If you are lucky, & hit someone, once it gets to court you will get hammered by the judge for using it & more than likely struck off from whichever association you are accredited to & not be able to learn it anymore...

Like it Webber, great post. Obviously you know that I'm involved with Judo, but this is a good opertunity for me to write a few words myself.Judo is a sport that will change your life, that in my oinion is what makes it an art, it has that litle bit more about it than other sports. I took up the sport when I was 7, over half my life ago, and if I hadn't then I would never have had the fitness and strength to be playing for my city rugby team, I would nver have had the co-ordination to take up the drums, and finaly be playing in a band, and I would never have had the courage to take up sports at all.Nowadays, admittedly, the band and the rugby is more important to me than Judo, but I never forget where it all started, being a 7 year old watching the inspirational Niel Adams on the telly, and as a result going to the local Judo club, I later found out that my instructor had fought Niel on numeruos occasions which is very sppeical to me.As you know Webber, you or I may only get 2 or 3 contests in a year, but the adrenaline is increadible, its something that really helps me perform. To be sitting on the edge of that mat, sharing banter with fellow competitors, and eying up the opposition during their earlier fights, and after making the jourey, after having waited for hours for the one moment your name is called, you are about to go into the most nackering 5 mins of your life, you cannot make one mistake or you will lose. That would be enough exitement as it is, but also the fact that you are on a stage, that there are stands filled with suporters, it is an increadible feeling. I'm getting butterflies in my stomach just writing about it, but I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Thanks everyone for your imput. I'm just going to improve on my previous argument as I have recently had a Karate lesson, and a debate with a boxer. Now firstly, just to show that i am not biased to this usual boxers Vs Martial Arts, I've done Kickboxing myself, so I'm speaking purely out of my own experience here:I was chatting to a friend of mine about fighting (self defence), and some of the defences that he has been taught in boxing would only work if your opponent is very tired (drunk), and wearing soft mitts. I was really quite suprised that this person that I was talking to had been learning at a 'pro' boxing club for a year. His punches weren't great, and his blocks - well he had been taught to swing his head out of the way. That's fine if your opponent does the classic 'yob' punch - and by that I mean build mementum in a visible way, and take a slow swing at you, but with the direct punches emphized in Karate - well - no chance... I ended up sparring with him afterwards, and it was immense - infact.. to my absoloutely suprise, I could beat the Boxing Sensei, and with ease! I'm only a brown belt in Karate, a Brown Belt in Shyrn Ryn Judo, and an Orange in Kodokan Judo, and this 12 year experienced Boxing Teacher - he punched like nothing I'd seen before. It just in my opinions shows the true nature of karate, and to that effect - martial arts. I found that because of the sparring in martial arts, my reaction speed had improved to the point that i knew what punch was coming before he raised his arm, and getting back in for a counter attack was so easy.... As I'd always believed the confidence, self belief, perfect concentration, dedication, speed, agility, strenght, skill and form brought the sloppy postured boxing 'master' to the floor very quickly.. I also tonight infact thought a Karate black belt that had been doing it for 12 years, and let me tell you that I was asstounded.. I really was, the absoloute perfection of his fighting, I had no chance! He was letting me block them to a certain exstent, and I was still struggling, and when he countered, his tap was enough to send me flying, and I'm no small guy, I'm 6'0 and a keen body builder... I just thought I'd add that in.. just to show that I'm not simply going on an assumption.. How ever, having said that, please dont think that i'm hammering the boxing community.. I know some very tough boxers, I just believe that martial arts excel them. And Come on boxers!! We've had no one battle your side of it!! Come on guys! lol.. Sean.

I do like boxing as a sport but even still i would agree. Certain martial arts do give you great fitness levels and like you say, they will make your reaction speed better and all ov the above things that i wont repeat. Overall boxing is good as a sport( in my view ) But for something that can really change your life for the better and also make you cope with life experiences better, martial arts is deffinatly the one. Martial arts are also historical. Teachings have been passed down from generation to generation at if you like any form of martial arts of not, that is something you have to respect...Boxing has none of this.

marcial arts are not just an sport but also a way of living. they teach us to have control on our body and mind,make us stronger and also more confident because we feel like we can protect ourselves. they are also an art because the movements you make,when well executed, are beautiful. of course that many people may use marcial arts to do bad things and hurt people but that is not what they teach in classes and that isn't the final point of the marcial arts. They are a way to protect and to control yourself and shouldn't be used to attack others.

You know I'm so glad that I have had this response, I was exspecting to get shouted down by the boxing community, because I know that martial arts are usually considered fancy fighting and some people see it as a con, but as you said (in what was a very good point), martial arts are all about the history. As I study ninjitsu (one of my 5 chosen arts), I have learnt alot about it's heritage, and it is intregeing, to imagine that people did it in secrecy, to train away from the japense government etc, it just gives you a real sense of something, of almost, I guess pride and heritage. I like thinking about the people that stood before me, the great masters, it's a fantastic feeling. My main point against boxing and martial arts is this: Boxing anyone can do, you watch them and you think, ouch that must hurt, but anyone could climb into a ring and throw a right hook, but yet you watch an experienced martial artist with their impressive skills and think - how on earth do they manage that... that is my proof (if that is the right word to use) of the pure skill required for the arts, it's a way of life, it's about the spirit, and you never loose it. You look at retired boxers, there muscles go limp, and they loose their skills, after doing a martial art, it's always with you, it becomes part of you, and you carry that around with you in every part of your life. It's a life tool, not a sport. Thanks again for your time and great posts guys!

I am currently studying Wing Tsun. For you that dont know what it is:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I think its great. Unlike quite a few people here I feel that Boxing is a martial art to some extent. It is much harder than many people make it out to be. I am not trying to start a flame war I am only expressing my feelings towards it.
Also what do you guys think of UFC (The Ultimate Fighting Championship)? Do you feel this is a martial art of not?

Man..If bowling is a sport, if golf is a sport then martial arts is a totally a sport. Thugs game..no i think not. Bullys dont bother learning karate...they just bully. Martial arts is a professional sport just like boxing, football...its where you have to work hard and give it your all

I wouldn't call it a thugs game...it's definitely not that. It's definitely a lot more refined, more refined than boxing I think. I've been training in boxing for about a year and a half now. I've seen 7 boxing matches (amateur) in my lifetime and watch a lot of boxing on TV. Some guys are a little "laggish" on their hits or counters. Maybe it's because they're so bulky. Also, I've noticed that a lot of Martial Artists are more toned than they are "bulky" or "buff". A lot of boxers are more brawlers than they are "clean fighters". So I'd say boxing is more of a "thugs game".

I think I should just refine what I meant by 'thugs game'. This is not my personal opinion. I simply meant it as a public standpoint. As I have said before, I am not baised towards the arts, although I do practice 5 arts, and am better at them, I am also a boxing, with training in Traditional Boxing, and Thai Boxing. I dont think by any means it is easy. I think it is physically demanding, probably more so that many martial arts. I think that it doesn't require as much skill, or more it does not allow space for alot of technical skill, but getting into the ring and winning is a lot harder than it looks, and being good in there is even harder still. It requires a lot of 'balls' and determination to suceed. I personally acknowledge the arts to be a more refined, technical, perhaps difficult type of fighting to master, but also understand that boxing (especially thai, being a more martial arts version of boxing) requires a lot of skill, and is not by any means simple. Sean.

alright guys. let's talk about this.First off how in the world is wrestling supposed to be a "thuggish" sport...whatever that means anyway? Wrestling is the basis for most martial arts today. Ever heard of the olympic games? Plus wrestling is so closely related to Jiu Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that it can hardly even be recognized as its own art anymore... especially with the recent addition of a little thing called submission wrestling. Now... as far as just anyone being able to box... tell muhammed ali that and he will still knock your block off. There is so much training involved in Boxing that it is unreal. That is the problem with traditional martialartists... they are so narrowminded. There is something in the USA that is designed for the people who just get in the ring and throw punches. Usually refered to as tough man competitions. Although usually commissioned by the state boxing commissions they are not boxing matches. You do not come out with a boxing record if you win one of these. Plus if boxing is just people slugging then what is Kickboxing? No finesse there either I suppose?Judo Karate and taekwon do are of course going to be looked at as the only martial arts that are able to be "professional" because they are the most common and the most flashy. Judo has good throws karate has flashy kicks and that movie series and taekwon do has flashy kicks which grabs everyone's eyes.Wanna know how I know this? Wes King black Belt and instructor in Kenpo, study Mauy Thai, Blue Belt In Jiu Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, 7-2 kickboxing record, 4-0 boxing record, 2-0 mma Record.

Edited by wesXking (see edit history)