xisto Community
wappy

Hotlinking Protection? A little help please ;-)

Hi, thanks for the account btw its great! I have already installed a wap site with chat etc, and some myBB forums and mod's!Anyway to my point:im a little confused with the hotlinking protection menu...Above the box it explains that any ext's in the box will be blocked... And any not will be allowed...However right above the input box it says ALLOW?Sorry if im being dumb but shall i put ext's i want to block or allow in the box??Just i wanna set it before i upload any thing as other sites have habit of linking to my stuff.. Grrr lol.Thanks in advance ;-)

You're right, the hotlink protection page is confusing. Basically, here's how it works. Be warned, enabling hotlink protection will stop from hotlinking to all files of the type you specify regardless where they are located on your site.

In the "URLs to allow access" box put all the URLs you to have free access to link to any file on your site. This would include any domains or sub domains you use.

In the "Extensions to allow (seperate by commas):" box, put in the extension of the files you DON'T want people to be able to link to. Typically this will be images and other files you store on your site, so the extensions could be zip, exe, jgp, gif, png and the like.

In the "Redirect HotLink attempts to:" box put a URL to a page or image you want to display when someone tries to hotlink to a file that you don't want them to.

I have written a tutorial that goes a little further than this and provides hotlink protection for selected directories. This is the method I use for my site. http://forums.xisto.com/topic/27222-how-to-stop-image-hot-linking-for-a-selected-directory/

Ok i think i understand now. Say i have no sub domains just my site.com... In the url box i should put https://www.salesforce.com/products/platform/overview/ and site.com or do i need to in include also my folders like my site.com/forum and site.com/chat ?? Thanks for your help ;-)