xisto Community
bakuryu

Nanotube Lubricated Hard Drives upto 10times the capacity of current hard drives can be achieved

Using nanotubes, Seagate's new patent involves coating the surface of a hard drive's platter with an extremely thin layer of extremely tough lubricant. The lubricant is designed to protect the actual magnetic medium, which in itself ranges from 2 to 50nm in thickness. Using this lubricant, Seagate will lower the read/write head to the point where it actually may come into contact with the platter. Seagate will also be introducing a heating mechanism such as a laser, which will heat up a small area of the platter allowing magnetic particles to be arranged more precisely -- thus allowing greater data densities. The laser itself will be positioned adjacent to the read and write head. Using nanotubes, Seagate's patent involves coating the surface of a hard drive's platter with an extremely thin layer of extremely tough lubricant. The lubricant is designed to protect the actual magnetic medium, which in itself ranges from 2 to 50nm in thickness. Using this lubricant, Seagate will lower the read/write head to the point where it actually may come into contact with the platter. Seagate will also be introducing a heating mechanism such as a laser, which will heat up a small area of the platter allowing magnetic particles to be arranged more precisely -- thus allowing greater data densities. The laser itself will be positioned adjacent to the read and write head. Since the lubricant layer is so thin however, the area that was heated will have some of the lubricant evaporated. To combat this, a reservoir that contains lubricant made of hundreds of thousands to millions of nanotubes is contained within the hard drive. Using precise pressure, the lubricant is evaporated into a vapor, and the vapor then deposits itself onto the area where there was depleted lubricant. According to Seagate, the vapor lubricant will take no more than a single disc rotation to complete the filling processes. The patent also says that hard drives will contain enough nanotube lubricant to last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. From Seagate's patent: The saturated reservoir 60 of disc lubricant may be placed at any suitable location within the disc enclosure 12. The reservoir 60 delivers a predetermined vapor pressure of lubricant inside the enclosure. Lubricant molecules thereby enter the gas phase and bombard the disc surface with a known rate principally determined by the vapor pressure. A multilayer surface film of lubricant is therefore built up from the gas phase. Equilibrium is then established between the gas phase lubricant molecules and the outermost layer of the formed multilayer surface film.

Hey .. so first perpendicular recording, and now this lubricating technology, I think there's going to be a revolution in storage medium and capacity comming very soon. ...... Imagine everyone having 10TB's of space :)

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

You doubled a part of the article you should edit that. You gaved a big article and a small opinion. Express your feelings.Anyway, that is sure do a new technology that maybe will be placed in the market in 2007. And I am sure it will be extremely expensive, I will be the first, maybe, one to get one of these. That is a reolution in technology, terabytes of space just waiting to be filled by human. Just a small question: From wich country did this technology came-up and who is the one who invented, I will be greatly apprecitated if you answer my question please PM me.Thank you!

Lol think what Bill Gates will be able to do with his system :)It would be pretty cool though, it will be annoying as well. When it comes down to an affordable price there will be an even bigger one out ;) .

You doubled a part of the article you should edit that. You gaved a big article and a small opinion. Express your feelings. Anyway, that is sure do a new technology that maybe will be placed in the market in 2007. And I am sure it will be extremely expensive, I will be the first, maybe, one to get one of these. That is a reolution in technology, terabytes of space just waiting to be filled by human. Just a small question: From wich country did this technology came-up and who is the one who invented, I will be greatly apprecitated if you answer my question please PM me. Thank you!

Doubled which part ?? ........... well the only opinion I could add present is .. just hope that the prices would be reasonable here in India. Otherwise it would be very hard to get one !! As for which person's did them and from which country ... all the details were given in the Patent article link .. which now does not work. The link seemed to be removed.

This was actually the patent link : appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser=DN/20060099461

I did'nt remember which country the people belonged, buy Segate defiantly got the patent. I wonder why they took off the patent link !!!!

More like cheaper. They also aren't increadibly fast... or atleast USB drives aren't, but as flash hard drives would use the same technology it'd be pretty costly.For now how things are is fine. The only reason someone needs TB's of space is servers or backing up systems or alot of CD's/DVD's (Like me...)

and dont forget they only last around 10 years...
so its kinda pointless... id say make one that can last for about 20+ lol

Yeah, that much data ought to last a long time - it'd take ten years to accumulate 10TB. :)
But really, many of today's hard drives, especially what I've seen in Western Digital Hard Drives, is that they die after about 4 years, so ten is an improvement.

I still have my old 80mb hard drive from good old windows 3.1 times working fine.. that was about 15 years ago.Honestly, what type of home user would use 10TB of hard drive space in today's times? I have enough problems filling 80gb for starters, yeesh. It would be good for servers and all that stuff though. But 10 years for it, thats not really that reliable. Maybe ways to refill the liquid might make it last longer.One other problem is, wouldn't the heat by a bad point in them if they are so close to the actual disc?Oh well, why listen to me.. :)

Wow that is sweet. Hopefully it will improve performance and such drastically since harddrive read/write speeds is what limits your computer speed the most since it is slow compared to memory and all other data transfers. For the 10TB space comment by jamson, i would definitely use it. As a developer and such i tend to use multiple operating systems and like to try new ones and versions to see if i should change. Plus, i tend to install a ton of games and do movie editing and such which takes a ton of space. I have like 250 gb worth of space total between my laptop hd and my external and i still run out of room all the time. It would be nice to have 10TB