xisto Community

(Pronouced N-View)

Its a wysiwyg website creator. Compatibal with:
Linux
Win 95,08,2000,XP
Mac OS 9 OS 10

Pretty easy and simple to use and its alot cleaner than the likes of frontpage (The first 20 lines dont praise how good it is)

http://www.nvu.com/ Virus free, support forum, its free!

Give it a go.

I've messed around with this program before. It's very good. It's supposed to be something like the free alternative to Dreamweaver.

lol Great. A free alternative to Dreamweaver. I guess that means I wasted some money then. I am gonna have to give this a try and maybe I'll sell my dreamweaver on Ebay. I haven't seen any of those buttons though that say "Made by Nvu" Looks pretty nice though and professional. I might have to go download it and try it out to see how it compares to it.

lol Great. A free alternative to Dreamweaver. I guess that means I wasted some money then. I am gonna have to give this a try and maybe I'll sell my dreamweaver on Ebay. I haven't seen any of those buttons though that say "Made by Nvu" Looks pretty nice though and professional. I might have to go download it and try it out to see how it compares to it.

I've used Nvu and it wasn't made to replace Dreamweaver at all. It is very similar but still not nearly as good. Nvu was made using the Gecko engine(used by Mozilla) to be used as an opensource code editing app, and was sponsored by Linspire Linux. Nvu is available in the Linspire CNR thing. Anyways, most things I do in Dreamweaver can never be done in Nvu. Don't get me wrong, Nvu does have alot of features that are really nice but it still does lack the ability to do things. This is a great alternative for linux though. When Im using Ubuntu and I need to edit something I'll just use Nvu because Dreamweaver does not work with ubuntu(I've tried wine and it still doesn't work). Nvu good just not good enough to replace Dreamweaver. Cept it's free. That's good.
Edited by siotoxin (see edit history)

Nvu is good, but still pales to Dreamweaver. GIMP + Nvu still pales in web development capability compared to Studio 8 - especially with their ability to go hand in hand(each can help eachother in web development very well).

If your making a website on it, test it on firefox. For some reason the frames dont show when your using safari, might happen with opera and some others as well so watch out.Also pretty bug free which i like :)

NVu, Quanta and Bluefish are rather popular web development environments on IDE. I have used Quanta more frequently than I've used the rest (when I'm not on vi, that is... ;)), and I quite liked it. Being able to connect via FTP directly, an imagemap plugin, etc, makes it fairly handy.I use Nvu when I am on Windows, and it is defintely a superior option to Frontpage. I've had trouble compiling it on Debian Sarge, but it worked seamlessly on my Fedora, and I quite like the simplistic interface. <off-topic>I've never used Studio 8 and I am sure it is more feature rich than the corresponding open source tools put together :) I mean, that's what you hope you're paying for, right? Anyway, open source tools may not always be as powerful as their propetiery counterparts, but they are very close, which is doubly admirable because no one is getting paid for the work they are putting in... Besides, open source software is great fun - maybe I'll explain/talk about this elsewhere! I can get carried away quite easily...</off-topic>

What I can do with studio 8 is create an image with a menu in Fireworks easily, then generate the javascript for the menu, open it up in dreamweaver, then add the code I need from templates I created for dreamweaver previously all without touching a single bit of complex code. After that I can upload all the files to the FTP server with Dreamweaver's site manager. Do that in Nvu/Quanta/Bluefish + GIMP.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)