xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
terminal2k

Fantasy Lovers come and discuss your favourites

i'm a fan of fantasy books, real ones not lame ones like harry pothead. who else enjoys these kinds of books and what authors/titles do you enjoy?I've recently been reading the sword of truth series by terry goodkind which i have been enjoying quite a bit, and the shannara and the landover series by terry brooks (who also wrote the novelizations of hook and star wars ep1)

quote:i'm a fan of fantasy books, real ones not lame ones like harry pothead. who else enjoys these kinds of books and what authors/titles do you enjoy?

I've recently been reading the sword of truth series by terry goodkind which i have been enjoying quite a bit, and the shannara and the landover series by terry brooks (who also wrote the novelizations of hook and star wars ep1)

Me 2....

I jus love authors like: Jordan, Sapkowski, Goodkin, Pratchett, and some books of Sean McMullen

U shuold try to read Robert Jordan cycle : The wheel of Time.

Its an heroes fantasy cycle and its really good. U wont regret reading it :)

I have to say those Dragon Riders books are good. Anne McAffry (spelled it sooo wrong!) is fantastic. I've only read the first one, but my aunt is still into them and has been telling me about things as I read and lack there of since I was really little!

A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin, is so far my favourite series of books that I've ever read, even though it is incomplete (four of the seven books are released so far).

I loved the Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien. It was so funny, you have to love Bilbo. I remember reading it for the first time in Fifth grade. My Mom was reading my siblings and I Lord of the Rings at the same time. The parallels between the journeys of Bilbo is so similar to that of Frodo, it's amazing. The characterization, and descriptions Tolkien uses are breathtaking, and the plot is so well thought out. We have charts of the lineages of various secondary characters in the back of one of copies. The details are astounding. It takes serious commitment, determination and a streak of perfectionism to manage that. Tolkien was a genius, no wonder so many modern authors try to emulate his style. He researched quite a bit to come up with his works, though much of it was a compilation of previous mythology and his study of history, it never ceases to amaze me how well he put the entire work together. Tolkien is by far one of the best authors of the fantasy genre.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if Harry Potter was lame, J.K. Rowling wouldn't become the richest author in the world. If you sincerely think Harry Potter is lame, do explain why. Did you read at least one book? I know a lot of people like to say Harry Potter is lame, but the problem is, they didn't even read the book, so their critique is not credible at all. Yes, Harry Potter has generated plenty of unnecessary hype, but the series is well-worth some of the hype.

Besides, magic is fantasy. What you probably mean here is High Fantasy. There isn't such a thing as 'real' or 'false' fantasy, because fantasy isn't even real in the first place :)

A high fantasy author I like is Tolkien. I like The Hobbit because it is witty and light-hearted, introduces interesting and brand new characters with refreshing personalities (not just your average peasant boy type of protagonist). I also enjoyed Lord of the Rings because of the types of characters and personalities that he portrays. I read The Silmarillion, which was quite fascinating, with its different subplots involving many elves of different backgrounds and personalities. Unfortunately, each elf had a great many names, which made it rather confusing at times.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Never liked Harry Potter myself. (Sorry Bishoujo but base on your name, we might get well with animes.)Of Fantasy writers, I personally love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (like plantacja). If you haven't read it, I recommend you do. 11 books so far and I'm on my 7th. The series will reach up to 12 books. Jordan just passed away but he already completed the plot of the final book and it will be completed by some author. Don't know who. Well, the world of WoT is very detailed. It's a great read. I can't explain everything other than tell you guys to read it. You'll love it. @Bishouko: I recommend you do try it. If you've been hooked to HP, i'm pretty much sure you'll get hook to this one, too.

Hmm, I like Robert Jordans books about rand and his adventures.I also like Terry Brooks and David Eddings. They really know how to make you read on, and on, and finaly don't sleep just do keep reading...*lol*I'll also want to add that the outspoken riddle about Harry Potter is kinda lame. There's many like me that really think that the author Rowlings world of Harry Potteradds alot to the fantasy flick. Rowlings way to describe harry potters world of magic is captivating and entertaining from the first page to the last and adds usual common problemfor a teenager and makes it easy to take the story and harrys struggeling close to the heartbecause its easy to relate as human beeing.

You guys should check out the Broken Sky series. It's my all time favorite fantasy series! The author is Chris Wooding. I have some more of his books, but I haven't read them yet. Anyways, this series has everything! Topics range from revenge to hatred to racism, and themes include parallel worlds, spirit stones, creatures that can move through mirrors and wild monsters such as the Keriags, a giant insectoid species.The books begin with Ryushi and Kia, twins who have been given powerful spirit stones at birth. They live on a wyvern breeding farm until one day, the empire attacks and destroys their entire village. It turns out that their father was a leader in the rebellion, which Ryushi and Kia end up joining. Most people have spirit stones, which can allow their users to power machines, see the future, move earth into shapes such as golems, which is Kia's power, or even shape the air into a beam of pure energy, which is Ryushi's power.Unfortunately, the books have been out of print for several years, so you would either need to find them in a library, or get them through Ebay or Amazon. However, there have been reprints of the books within the last year or so, but they're only out in the UK. One might actually be able to find them on Amazon.uk.

My favorite fantasy books are alot of the ones mentionned here. I loved the Lord of the Rings, though it's been ages since I read them now. I should reread them. I also completely adore the Harry Potter series. It has such an enchanted world and the characters are so lovable, (or you hate them visciously) and the twist and turns in the plot keep everything very interesting. I also really love the Wheel of Time series. I have spent the last year reading the whole series on and off, and I have to say that it was most definately worth it! The characters, the background story, the history, the cultures, the aes sedai and their powers, it's all really fascinating! I am just relieved that Robert Jordan planned out the last book well enough for it to be written and finalized, because I would have been so disapointed if there had been no end to the series. In the meantime, I read A New Spring, which is also a must read, as it gives alot of background story to Lan and Moraine. And since I have no series to read at the moment, I've been seriously contemplating reading the Sword of truth series. I've heard only good things on this forum and outside of it!

Well, I've read/like a large chunk of the books mentioned so far. I started A Song of Fire and Ice a couple weeks ago and I'm at the end of the third book already. I think my favorite author is probably L.E. Modesitt Jr. though. I guess he's not quite as popular as a lot of other authors mentioned here, but I started with his Recluce series and haven't stopped reading his books. To tell you the truth though, I'm just as big a fan of his science fiction.