xisto Community
Johnny

Pointing Domains To Diffrent Directories Or Subdomains with Masking - Domain issues

Okay guys, I'm having a bit of a problem regarding my website and domains.Basically, I have about 6 domains...I want 3 or 4 of them to go to my main site (a blog), and the other 2 to go to another directory of the site (a graphics forum), so I've been trying to set up my cpanel to be able to do this.The current setup is like this:plusone.trap17.com -- my blogplusone.trap17.com/forums or forums.plusone.trap17.com-- graphics forumAs an example, I have these two domains registered:jrockett.infoplusoneconcepts.infoand I want them to direct like this:jrockett.info --> plusone.trap17.complusoneconcepts.info --> plusone.trap17.com/forums or forums.plusone.trap17.comI want them to actually go to those locations, and not just be a redirect, but all I've been able to do is make domains go to my main site plusone.trap17.com.So is there any way, maybe by .htaccess files, that I can set it up so that some domains go to the front page while others go to a subdirectory?

A CNAME pointer might help.

(sē-nām) Short for canonical name, also referred to as a CNAME record, a record in a DNS database that indicates the true, or canonical, host name of a computer that its aliases are associated with. A computer hosting a Web site must have an IP address in order to be connected to the World Wide Web. The DNS resolves the computer’s domain name to its IP address, but sometimes more than one domain name resolves to the same IP address, and this is where the CNAME is useful. A machine can have an unlimited number of CNAME aliases, but a separate CNAME record must be in the database for each alias.
Usage Note: While CNAME is short for canonical name, use of the abbreviated term implies that one is referring to the canonical name record, not simply the canonical name.

A CNAME pointer might help.

I'm not sure if that can help, but it can't hurt to try. How would I go about using a CNAME pointer?

jrockett.info --> plusone.trap17.com

1) access the domain control panel and change name servers to Xisto

2) park this domain under cPanel

plusoneconcepts.info --> plusone.trap17.com/forums or forums.plusone.trap17.com

1) backup this folder and database is highly recommended before you begin

2) access this domain control and change name servers to Xisto

3) add-on this domain under cPanel

4) enter this domain for "new domain name"

5) enter forums as the username/subdomain name

6) give a password

Since it may tell you the folder is already existing, you can then delete your current forums folder and try it again (this is where the backup comes in handy). Before you begin you may want to delete the already existing sub-domain forums.plusone.trap17.com.

PS, backup, backup and backup. Oh did I mention you should always backup before you begin? :)

1) access the domain control panel and change name servers to Xisto

2) park this domain under cPanel

1) backup this folder and database is highly recommended before you begin

2) access this domain control and change name servers to Xisto

3) add-on this domain under cPanel

4) enter this domain for "new domain name"

5) enter forums as the username/subdomain name

6) give a password

Since it may tell you the folder is already existing, you can then delete your current forums folder and try it again (this is where the backup comes in handy). Before you begin you may want to delete the already existing sub-domain forums.plusone.trap17.com.

PS, backup, backup and backup. Oh did I mention you should always backup before you begin? :)

Strange, that's exactly what I tried yesterday and it didn't seem to work, I forgot exactly what happened though.

EDIT: BH, Have I mentioned I love you?

I figured out what the problem is...basically, BH's method did what I wanted it to, but for some reason it was showing a "no page at this address" cpanel message, but it was just because the site didn't know that the index was a php file, so I had to edit the .htaccess to reflect that.

The only thing I don't get is why it requires a password for the addon domain...seems like it should be an option.

Now, that's one issue down, I just have to deal with the other hundred. :( Thanks BH.

I'll leave this unlocked in case future problems arise or if anyone wants to discuss a similar issue.

I'll try it again and see if it works.

EDIT: BH, Have I mentioned I love you?

Yes you did... LOL :)

The only thing I don't get is why it requires a password for the addon domain...seems like it should be an option.

When adding a domain to your hosting, our cPanel service actually gives an option to access that folder (and that folder alone) with a seperate password. So when you use username "forums.yoursite.trap17.com" and password you assigned, it goes directory to that folder rather than public_html and then you clicking on forums folder.

When adding a domain to your hosting, our cPanel service actually gives an option to access that folder (and that folder alone) with a seperate password. So when you use username "forums.yoursite.trap17.com" and password you assigned, it goes directory to that folder rather than public_html and then you clicking on forums folder.

Ohh, I see. So it's only used for FTP access to certain parts of the site, rather than the whole one, right? Like if you were to allow someone (or everyone) to upload files to a certain directory, provided they have the password. Neato.