xisto Community
seastien

Mac Or Pc ? help me to choose between a Mac or a Pc pls

hey there!I must buy a computer but Im sceptic dont know which choose between the two computers. My price is ~ $1,800, I need a computer to make websites (DreamWeaver soft), make music (Cubase yeah Steinberg you're great my man) and draw on Photoshop... I know mac is realy well for the electronic arts but prices are more expansive than Pc (I think so Dell) ... I like the new MacBook but Leopard OS going to out and Windows Vista too so what do you can suggest me ? wait the OS out and see critics ?Sorry if i let me misunderstood... thx for advices

Notice from serverph:
moved to COMPUTERS from TECHNOLOGY

I would personally go for an Intel Macbook, that way you can use bootcamp to install both WindowsXP and MacOSX, and have the best of both worlds. And yeah it is often said that macs are better for media based applications, plus the OS is more secure (although this may be down to it being targeted less, due to its minority userbase), and it does come with better bundled apps than WindowsXP. The only problem that I can see is the lack of software (although it is their just not as accessible, in that its harder to find, as Windows software tends to be). I must confess I have never used a Mac so all of this is just from what I have heard. I am not sure myself if you can yet DreamwWeaver and Photoshop for Macs, but there will be (maybe better) alternative if these applications are not available. You could also consider Linux (Ubuntu is supposedly really good, aint used that though and they ship free CDs incase the iso download is too much for you) which you can also dual boot with Windows on a PC, So you can have Windows as a fall back incase it is necessery that you use Windows. Then again as you say you could always wait the two main OSes out and see whihc comes out on top (or you could try out Vista Beta 2, not recommended though). I hope I have been able to help you, and you get you dilema solved soon.(P.S I don't mean to be picky but should this really be in Technology?, I think General or Computers is perhaps more appropriate)(P.P.S dont worry about being misunderstood, your English is alot better than my French, and the English of some people I know)

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

Buy a Workstation from IBM or Sun. Those will give you power to do such things. Install linux and work from Wine for additional security if you need it.Dells are cheap, low quality, and have poor customer service.Apple has quality computers, but if you honestly want a computer that can handle these apps you have to go with a workstation, which is what graphic professionals use. The only workstation that Apple makes is the PowerMac, and it's not that powerful, seriously.I reccomend you seriously go with an IBM workstation. You can customize hardware to your needs when purchasing. Heck you can choose to use Red Hat Linux instead of Windows XP if you want to.When Vista comes out, then is the time to install Linux for good. Vista will suck the life out of your computer compared to Linux, which only requires 256 MB of memory, a P III processor, and a Riva TNT2 for good performance in X vs. Vista, which wastes a gobbing 1 GB of memory, a 3 Ghz processor, and a very powerful graphics card deemed vista ready. Wine in Linux is guarunteed to eat much less system resource when Vista comes out and allow you to work your applications that much faster.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

Buy a Workstation from IBM or Sun. Those will give you power to do such things. Install linux and work from Wine for additional security if you need it.Dells are cheap, low quality, and have poor customer service.
Apple has quality computers, but if you honestly want a computer that can handle these apps you have to go with a workstation, which is what graphic professionals use. The only workstation that Apple makes is the PowerMac, and it's not that powerful, seriously.
I reccomend you seriously go with an IBM workstation. You can customize hardware to your needs when purchasing. Heck you can choose to use Red Hat Linux instead of Windows XP if you want to.

When Vista comes out, then is the time to install Linux for good. Vista will suck the life out of your computer compared to Linux, which only requires 256 MB of memory, a P III processor, and a Riva TNT2 for good performance in X vs. Vista, which wastes a gobbing 1 GB of memory, a 3 Ghz processor, and a very powerful graphics card deemed vista ready. Wine in Linux is guarunteed to eat much less system resource when Vista comes out and allow you to work your applications that much faster.

And if you do choose to use linux I would recommend Ubuntu, especially if you have little linux knowledge.

Hey thanks for all your anwers men !
first of all, sure, a MacBook with both operating systems Windows XP and Mac OSX, it's have the best of both worlds ! DreamWeaver & Photoshop came out on the both OS but DreamWeaver sofware PC isnt compatible with Mac and vice versa.

Buy a Workstation from IBM or Sun. Those will give you power to do such things. Install linux and work from Wine for additional security if you need it.Dells are cheap, low quality, and have poor customer service.

I know and I only heard good things about this one it's good :)

Vista will suck the life out of your computer compared to Linux

lol sure windows always will suck out of poor computers... it's for that I would like change of PC and get a Mac and apparently MacBook is realy good!! :(
realy thanks to you all, I go to see all your advices in stores :(

(P.S I don't mean to be picky but should this really be in Technology?, I think General or Computers is perhaps more appropriate)

you right lol Im sorry !

The only thing I can offer you is that Macs tend to be better for making graphics and working with sound and film. PC's tend to be better if you like gaming and are more into doing software programing and they are easier to upgrade hardware wise.I don't know too much about the new MacBooks, but one thing I would look for if you are buying a mac, is how well the cooling system works. Mac has some very strange designs and I have run into a few where the cooling system doesn't work as well as it should and it gets rather hot. I have only witnessed this in the desktops, where they try to fit the tower in to the monitor. I hope this helps you in your decision. :)

Hi.I'm not trying to get you confused, but you must see this on video.google.com

Why Macs Suck

LOL :(

Everything on that video is false... i even made a counter video Why Mac's dont suck, i made it really fast, so alot was left out and its sorta bad, but it proves him worng....

Personaly, i prefer macs to PC's, but it dosnt sound like ur going to be doing anything that requires a mac... especially if your on a budget. I'm into editing, modeling and stuff like that, so im more of a mac person... and i cant stand PC's with their... ugh.... TINY resolution... my nice 23" hi-deff monitor with a nice 1920x1200 resolution lets me run about 2 websites side by side, no cluttering up... and exposé helps even more!

Never heard of exposé and dashboard?
Example of Exposé!
Example of Dashboard!
:)

hello you all!

Jarro2002, I had ever watched this video lol yeah it's funy but I think he wrongs, I dont think macs are bad too.
I have a PC for 10 years and I knew a lot of crashes, I know today PC has good machines but I ask myself if the best solution is to buy a Mac and enter to the Steeve Jobs world!

QwertyIsCool, (Azerty too lol) well done for the video you made, what kind of mac do you have ?

my nice 23" hi-deff monitor with a nice 1920x1200 resolution lets me run about 2 websites side by side, no cluttering up...

realy great loll!!
It's an hard choice!

well i feel i'm in a similar position... you see i want to buy a notebook computer to work with websites, photoshop, and some added stuff like programming. To me it's essential to be able to work with java, visual studio .net, sql server and many other development software. Now that macbook runs windows xp and eventually windows vista, i'd definatly go for a mac, i personally don't like AMD and let's just say Intel's current processor (Centrino Duo) isn't ready for the task... (64 bit issue), so yeap, i'd say to you, go for mac.I'll probably do too.

I've always heard a Mac is better for design. I only have a PC because well, they're everywhere, everything runs on them (like poo though), and they're generally cheap. Macs are a little more expensive, but when I get through college, and get a job, I'd like to buy one to test it out. For a webdesigner, especially, that means I'd have access to both PC and Mac Browsers. There are a lot of very nice programs I've wanted to download that are Mac only.Now, my qualms with PCs are all along the lines of Windows. I don't want to try Vista because I'm afraid it's going to be another XP - full of loops and holes where nasties can get in. Not only that, but I'm afraid it's going to be clunky. I've already tried the IE 7 Betas and I'm not exactly thrilled. The best I can hope for with that is someone at Microsoft will listen to demands and try to implement them. As far as browers, Firefox did it. If Microsoft stopped building off of their old programs, they might be able to get somewhere.

I would go for the PC any day. PCs have far more (and better) applications for all of the things that you want to do.Additionally, PCs are easier to change/upgrade and service.