xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AlternativeNick

Domain Help What do i need?

Im looking to get a domain for my website, and im really clueless as to what i might need to actually get. I see all sorts of different packages with hosting or forwarding etc and im really not sure what all would be neccessary to get a domain for my Xisto site. Would i need the forwarding or hosting? or can i somehow set it up through cpanel that all the people looking for domain.com are taken to my site.. also, can i have subdirectories and such (domain.com/something) when im paying for a domain if i keep the same Xisto hosting?Thanks very much

I would think you would want to first purchase a domain name, and then change your hosting to tie to your new domain (by going to the process page and change domain).This is because not only you can create your own directories, i.e. yoursite.com/folder, you can create your own sub-domain, i.e. something.yoursite.com, without any complication.Parking your domain also works but, in my opinon, it makes your sub-domain creation bit difficult to manage.

You need to go to Google and search Domain Registrar.And then purchase a domain name from one of them.After that, set it up with your Xisto hosting account (which costs a few credits) and then once it all works, you can create subdomains, etc.

Im looking to get a domain for my website, and im really clueless as to what i might need to actually get. I see all sorts of different packages with hosting or forwarding etc and im really not sure what all would be neccessary to get a domain for my Xisto site. Would i need the forwarding or hosting? or can i somehow set it up through cpanel that all the people looking for domain.com are taken to my site.. also, can i have subdirectories and such (domain.com/something) when im paying for a domain if i keep the same Xisto hosting?
Thanks very much

Yahoo domains are the best. Its 7.50 for 1 full year of domain registration. I recomend yahoo, simply best service and prices available out there.

Yahoo Domains (Yahoo small Business) has a great offer.$1.99 for domain registration for a year and then 9.95 every year.First go and register a domain name (for 1-10 years as you please)at Yahoo or Godaddy or any such domain seller.Then it's done. You can do everything else with your Xisto account.

I use ukreg for my .co.uk domains it is 2.95 per year (minimum purchase 2 years) and that includes domain hosting on fasthosts and lots of sercvices like forwarding, email addressed etc.

Ok well here is a short explanation:A domain is not like hosting, you buy the domain and when you type it in, it directs to the IP addy, so if we did not have any domain (not even a Xisto domain) set up with our accounts, we wood go to an IP address.https://de.godaddy.com/ is a good place, but yahoo is good also, what it does is sells you the domain if no1 has bought it yet (like personal plates for ur car) and then u tell it where to point to, so if you tell it to point to the name servers of Xisto (ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com) it will be saying to trap 17 "I am here to be assigned to an account" you then go to the process page, put in ur deiatils and ur wanted domain, the server scans to see if that domain is saying "I am heer to be assigned 4 an account" and if it is there the server will set it up with your account. After this happens you can make email address's at ur domain (eg. SOMIN@domain.com/.net/.org/.co.nz/.com.au/.uni.cc/.cc/.tt and lots more ending for ur domain r avalible. U can also reach ur website thru ur domain once it is set up. i hope this helps u to understand what a domain actualy is