xisto Community
kdr_98

Formating Usb Flash Drive

usb flash cannot open and format

Formating Usb Flash Drive

My 1gb usb flash used to work well not untill it stoped opening telling me to format it and when I try formating it it doesn't format,telling me I do not have enough rights,if you have any ideas please help me out.

-question by kennedy

Finally have found it on an other forum http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
It was solved after running the program http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

First I did repair (takes some time).
Then a format.
And then after a few times plug-in and out the drive works back normal.

Thanks for the help

Why is this topic still open?? It seems a couple years ago this person found an answer, it should be closed and if a person encounters the same problem recently, can find the answer here... Does people really read all the posts in a topic before post another reply??...

you should be able to right click the icon for it and click format, even in windows XP
hope that helps, but it seems that that might not work either...

good luck.

hey its a good way but in many cases it doesnt work so u shd try another process

insert usb drive and then right cilck on my computer icon and then on manage and then select on storage and then removal storage find ur usb and then select then format option.....

and be happy

for further assistence contact me ..........

testingpirakx@gmail.com

rite2alok@gmail.com

USB FLASH Drive error "no media"Formating Usb Flash Drive

The issue is open because 

(1) It is a different problem (you just assumed it was the same after a quick skim) ...OR

(2) Prior forum solutions are no longer easily accessed (site down, match ranked very low, etc)

I have a similar issue.  The :"NO MEDIA" error prevents simple formatting because the drive properties say 0MB available to partition or format. An unformatted hard drive will still report the total GB available to be partitioned and formatted.

The same USB flash drives work with another XP system and have accessible files. So I am thinking the solution is not flash drive repair. My rough guess is that something is wrong in the USB device detection or available USB drivers or possibly in the removable media services.

-reply by Isme

Successful "No media" solutionFormating Usb Flash Drive

For me the problem was solved by a combination of selective reinstalling Microsoft XP SP1a USB 2.0 drivers (search MS), Microsoft "Fix-It" article to reset USB filtering and most important -- installing the USB 2.0 drivers for the motherboard.

Apparently certain USB 2.0 does not automatically install for certain motherboard controller hardware that  is compatible but NOT easily detected by Microsoft service packs and driver installation software.  So basically you need to force installation or recognition of the USB hardware especially the USB 2.0 enhanced controller.

I suspect you might be able to skip the SP1a USB 2.0 driver reinstall if you have the motherboard specific USB 2.0 driver install. But that is the way I did it.

Not this worked for MOST USB flash drives. But I did have one older 256MB flash drive that still only is recognized as a USB hub controller. I suspect this flash drive is a USB 1.0 or 1.1 based design using a USB hub controller as a "signal driver" or "buffer". So I may simply lack basic USB 1.0 or 1.1 OS .Dll software...Or maybe the flash drive had a specific exotic driver that I installed on the other system but not the latest system and have now lost and forgotten.

-reply by Isme

Hi,
I have a problem with my USB flash drive.
When I insert it to my computer it gets detected and I get a drive letter for it.
When I click the drive letter in Explorer it says 'Insert a medium in drive X:'
I can't format it in Windows XP also.

Does anyone know how to format this drive so I can use it again ?

try to remove the usb drivers and restart the pc when it is installed again try the device.better you try it on an another computer .if the problem persist try using a dos format.if the problem remains same,,try ti use it on linux.i had the problem once ,,i tried it on linux and it was solved.if you can not install linux,you may try a ubuntu live cd too.

USB FLASH Drive error "no media"Formating Usb Flash Drive

If your flash drive is from transcend they have online recovery tool for this problem which works. I had a similar problem with my transcend flash drive

-reply by fib2win