xisto Community
kdr_98

Formating Usb Flash Drive

Hi,I have a problem with my USB flash drive.When I insert it to my computer it gets detected and I get a drive letter for it.When I click the drive letter in Explorer it says 'Insert a medium in drive X:'I can't format it in Windows XP also.Does anyone know how to format this drive so I can use it again ?

Hi,
I have a problem with my USB flash drive.
When I insert it to my computer it gets detected and I get a drive letter for it.
When I click the drive letter in Explorer it says 'Insert a medium in drive X:'
I can't format it in Windows XP also.

Does anyone know how to format this drive so I can use it again ?

you should be able to right click the icon for it and click format, even in windows XP

hope that helps, but it seems that that might not work either...

good luck.

I'm not sure how relevant or helpful this might be but did your flash drive happen to come with installation material? I remember that when I bought my usb key, it came along with a CD and software that I had to install before getting it to work properly on my desktop (an old computer, to say the least). However, I didn't have to go through the same process with my much newer laptop; it was instantly recognized.The next bit is more of a hunch, but could be worth a shot.-Hit Start-Run-Type in "cmd"-See if you can locate your drive in the dos prompt thingy. e.g. cd x:/-If so, type "format x:/" and see what happensGood luck!

No the drive is also not accesable by command prompt.It's reconised by the system , because I got a drive letter.But somehow, somewhere in the bootrecord it's defined as removeable drive.It has become in this status since I tried to make it a linux boot disk.But I have forgotten with witch program I did that.If I could make the drive accesable under Linux or Windows it would be great.

Just another quick idea. Have you given a look in the device manager to see if anything can be done to perhaps uninstall/install the drive?Sorry I can't be of more help. Regrets and again, hope you find a way...

OK try this. Right click on My Computer and select manage. Then go to Storage and finally Disk Management. Then it should list all you drives and have pictures of them. If an area is grayed out it will allow you to partition and / or format that drive so it will be accessable with windows and any other FAT32 or NTFS filesystem depending on what you format it as.

I think you probably didn't install correctly your usb flash disk, try formatiing it in this way: Only for Windows:1-Go to control panel and then administrative tools (you must have an administrator account to be able to do this)2-Go to computer management and make sure that your USB is properly connected to your PC, laptop...3-Maximize the storage button by clicking the plus sign next to ''storage''.4-Click on ''disk management'' you will see a list of all your removable hard drive letters.5-Right-click on your USB letter and choose format from the list, on the file system choose ''Fat 32'' you could refer to your help and support file by going to: Start/Help and support/ to choose the correct one, but I do prefer FAT32. Then click on ''OK'' to begin the format process. Hope this will work and tell me how things happened. Regards!!

Edited by Hadi (see edit history)

The problem is that it reports 'Removeable drive' like a floppy disk or DVD drive.And then it reports 'no media present'.I have 2 drives of the same type the other works fine.So there must be somthing wrong with the Master Boot record / boot record of FAT.

flash drives do not have boot records on them since they are not used for booting unless a boot disk is installed onto it. There could be something wrong with the page file, but did my suggestion work or do anything at all because even if it says no media present it will still show up under disk management. Let us know so we can better help you and bit more detail on what it says in this case would help.

OK try this. Right click on My Computer and select manage. Then go to Storage and finally Disk Management. Then it should list all you drives and have pictures of them. If an area is grayed out it will allow you to partition and / or format that drive so it will be accessable with windows and any other FAT32 or NTFS filesystem depending on what you format it as.

The drive is present there but it says 'no medium' present. (the same as an empty CD drive)
I'm working on a dutch Windows , so the message may differ a bit.
There is also no parttion persent on that drive.

I think you probably didn't install correctly your usb flash disk, try formatiing it in this way: Only for Windows:1-Go to control panel and then administrative tools (you must have an administrator account to be able to do this)
2-Go to computer management and make sure that your USB is properly connected to your PC, laptop...
3-Maximize the storage button by clicking the plus sign next to ''storage''.
4-Click on ''disk management'' you will see a list of all your removable hard drive letters.
5-Right-click on your USB letter and choose format from the list, on the file system choose ''Fat 32'' you could refer to your help and support file by going to: Start/Help and support/ to choose the correct one, but I do prefer FAT32. Then click on ''OK'' to begin the format process.
Hope this will work and tell me how things happened. Regards!!

I agree with Hadi that your USB drive was not installed properly and you will need to reformat it for it to work, Just follow Hadi's steps and your USB drive will work again.

When you pluggedin your USB Drive, and it get detect by Windows XP (As Windows XP / 2000 Pro does't required any software for USB Flash Drive of any maker or any type).Try this: On Inserting your USB and got detected, See the Properties of this USB Drive for correct manufacturer. if you got success in finding the correct manufacturer name, than make a search for it to download the latest softwares to run.If you are unable to see properties of your USB Drive by any mean.....Than it means that you have a bad Hardware, which is detecable abut you can't use it. Last year i bought new 256 MB USB Flash Memory, which works only for few days, after that it always show as a removable drive on plugging in, but i was unable to copy some data on it. I Formatted it firstly as "FAT32" and secondly as "NTFS", but this formatting did't do any thing to it.

Hi Friend why u get erro in formating ur usb flash drive ?????Follow These Steps & Format. Step 1: Open My Computer >>>Step 2: lift click on drive which u want to format >>>Step 3: click on Format... >>>Step 4: choose File System NTFS >>>Step 5: Allocation unit size 4096 bytez >>>Step 6: Volume Lable ( WHICH U WANT ) >>>Step 7: Format option Don't Choose Quick Format >>>Step 8: Click on Start >>>Step 9: FinishEnjoy Formating ur usb flash drive.If Then Get Error Email me at :plz_pay@yahoo.comUse a Partation manager a make ur partation again.hope this will work..Thanks You !Hv a Nice Day For All My Frnds.

Edited by gaggu121 (see edit history)

When you pluggedin your USB Drive, and it get detect by Windows XP (As Windows XP / 2000 Pro does't required any software for USB Flash Drive of any maker or any type).
Try this: On Inserting your USB and got detected, See the Properties of this USB Drive for correct manufacturer. if you got success in finding the correct manufacturer name, than make a search for it to download the latest softwares to run.

If you are unable to see properties of your USB Drive by any mean.....Than it means that you have a bad Hardware, which is detecable abut you can't use it. Last year i bought new 256 MB USB Flash Memory, which works only for few days, after that it always show as a removable drive on plugging in, but i was unable to copy some data on it. I Formatted it firstly as "FAT32" and secondly as "NTFS", but this formatting did't do any thing to it.

Mine gave a message when I tried to access the drive , that there was no media inserted.
After 3 days google an reading a lot of forums , I found out that there seems to be a problem with apacer drives, they can get blocked. Mine was a Medion Drive but htis cure worked also.
After the download of the program I have restored my USB flash drive.