xisto Community
BooZker

Help With Video Converter Is there any GOOD free software

I have looked all over the far corners of the internet for a video converter. No, not a .mov to .wmv or anything like that. I want ANYTHING to a DVD. No VCDs or anything like that. I want this because i make movies for my site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (no, nothing illegal going on here) and i would like to put them on DVDs, but they are in .wmv and .avi and others and i can't find any free software that is any good without watermarks or time limits on the internet. I was thinking about buying the program from Roxio, but its like $80+ and i want to make sure there is no free software like that.

I dont know of anything free to do this since i use CCE which def isnt free. I know Nero Vision transcodes anything to DVDs because it is what i used to use. You can try that. There also is TMPGEnc and Sonic which both have conversion software. I am not sure if either are free but i know that TMPGEnc is a very good piece of software.

I advise you read this guide. It explains everything pretty clearly and suggests software to use throughout. There's also a massive list of all sorts of DVD tutorials from simply burning your movie to adding a complex menu system here. This section specifically contains information about creating DVD Mpeg videos and converting other formats to them. I don't know of any software that will convert anything to a DVD Mpeg 2 file, but there are lots of pieces of freeware that will convert one file type to a DVD. The best places to look are in the tutorials listed above or Sourceforge.

You could try TMPGEnc, it's not my favourite program but lots of people seem to like it it will make a mpg-2 stream for later burning to DVD, free trial of that feature.http://www.tmpgenc.net/

OK thanks. Yah i dont want any menu features or anything, just straight burning to a dvd and watch it on a dvd player.

mediacodar... hmmm i'll try it out. Have you used it before? If you have is it any good. Is it fast?

I would say that WinAVI is the best thing that you are looking for. It converts anything to DVD as you asked and it also converts DVD to anything. Some of the supported extensions are .avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, .mov, .wmv.WinAVI is probably the best all around video converter based on user reviews on the internet. I have been using it for about two years and it has never failed me. It has always worked perfectly and I have been able to burn the DVD file it made right onto a DVD with any DVD burning program. In fact, WinAVI actually has a program inside it to burn directly to a DVD but I would recommend using your own designated program for doing so.